Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MilitaryGamerOnline is acquiring The Wargamer Web Site

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> MilitaryGamerOnline is acquiring The Wargamer Web Site Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MilitaryGamerOnline is acquiring The Wargamer Web Site - 2/20/2003 5:06:12 AM   
VicKevlar

Hia Guys,

Just wanted to let you know, Military Gamer will be taking over The Wargamer.

You can read the full articles here:

http://www.militarygameronline.com/insidemgo/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=675

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/mgo_acquires_wargamer/

Cheers from you MGO neighbors!

The infantry doesn't change. We're the only arm of the military where the weapon is the man himself.

C. T. Shortis

Post #: 1
- 2/20/2003 5:09:23 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Might be sad though if you are into forums.

Militarygameronline has about the most stagnant forums I have found.
They just don't move.

I have had on again off again feelings for Wargamer forums, but at least they move. I hope this isn't a death sentence to those forums.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 2
- 2/20/2003 5:10:41 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Sasnt Wargamer $3000 in the hole?

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 3
- 2/20/2003 5:16:51 AM   
VicKevlar

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]Might be sad though if you are into forums.

Militarygameronline has about the most stagnant forums I have found.
They just don't move.

I have had on again off again feelings for Wargamer forums, but at least they move. I hope this isn't a death sentence to those forums. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not to sound trite or sarcastic....but the Wargamer forums move? The largest forum has less than 700 posts total? I would have thought the exact opposite.

The MGO forums originally started out as the place all the Close Combat devotees moved to after SSI closed up shop. CC and Off Topic have always been the big draws, especially since many of the CC mods are hosted there.........

The infantry doesn't change. We're the only arm of the military where the weapon is the man himself.

C. T. Shortis

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 4
- 2/20/2003 5:28:46 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

There are 3 forums there that move. More than 10 sub forums have no movement in more than 45 days.

Wargamer might not be prolific, but it does move.

Military gamer needs to cut away the dead wood perhaps. They have sub forums that don't have any use.

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 5
Well - 2/20/2003 6:45:26 AM   
Shaun Wallace

Lets hope that they start to move soon ;)

There are plans for the MGO foruns in the near future.

Cheers

Shaun

Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
----------------------
http://www.closecombat.org/csoforums/portal.php

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 6
- 2/20/2003 11:39:04 AM   
Randy

Will the Militarygamer site still support Steel Panthers MBT? Thanks

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 7
Hmm, maybe MGO should co-opt AoW... - 2/20/2003 12:03:31 PM   
KG Erwin

...just so you could delete all that neo-conservative tripe. Seriously, most of the game commentary on Wargamer (other than RGW) is pretty stagnant. The political commentary is considerably more high-brow than the aforementioned AoW: "Nuke Saddam! Nuke North Korea! H ell, let's just nuke evrybuddy that ain't Amerikun!" Those guys could find some like-minded offal spewing in, say, the America's Army forum. I won't mention the other forums I belong to. MGO might decide to go on a feeding frenzy, like the piranha trying to swallow a cow , a la AOL/Time Warner. Some of it has to be spit out.

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 8
- 2/20/2003 9:27:03 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Wargamer has it's odd moments, sadly they are few.

Military gamer has some potential. Maybe it will get that potential if enough Wargamer forum types feel the move is being done with them in mind.

Then again if the Wargamer forums merely close, and the Military Gamer people assume that the Wargamer forum people will simply join the Military Gamer forums, they might not get far.

I am a member of both.

I am also not really interested in the Military Gamer forums.

When I say they don't move much, I really mean it.

I usually discount a web sites primary forum (ie reason it was first formed) as well as the General Forum (or equal to it because it is not always termed "General"), and their free for all forum (most sites have one, at Military Gamer its called "Nobody Asked Me But").

But if you look, you will notice quite an array of subforums 25 in count I believe. And greater than 10 have seen zero interest in more than 45 days.

So it's not like Military Gamer is a "happening" place automatically.

I am not saying I don't like the forums there, I am just saying, with Wargamer gone (if it isn't retained, and I don't know if it will or won't), there is an equal chance I might just strike it off my list of forums and leave it at that.
I am not necessarily going to suddenly become active at Military Gamer just because they bought Wargamer.

It might well mean I am more active here at Matrix and Battlefront (where I actually spend most of my time).

I have never downloaded anything at Military Gamer, or found a must have link through them.
They are not one of my current favourite portals to wargaming.
Not that I don't like their site, I have just not found anything over there I found interesting yet.

In some cases their site was merely redundant (I was able to get what I wanted somewhere I already was).
I hope they don't disperse or discontinue some aspects of Wargamer. They are a great source of Steel Panthers files (yes I will play SPWW2 and SPMBT just as much as the other versions).

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 9
Hia Les - 2/21/2003 11:26:12 AM   
Shaun Wallace

This is pretty much a repost of what I have just posted on the Wargamer Forums.

Firstly we have NO intention of killing off the WG forums, I am hoping in fact that they will expand in the future.

With the merging of the two sites, the aim is to encompass all war and strategy games. basically you will find that I am pretty much hands on and will be active in the forums and community. I am always open to emails and suggestions, ideas etc.

I aim, with the upper management team here at The Wargamer to make this the best wargames and strategy games site anywhere on the internet bar none.

There will now be many more resources available to the Wargamer team to provide even better coverage and information than before. I have talked to the upper management of The Wargamer and we have a lot of things planned to make the site as enjoyable as we possibly can for you the site users.

Mario will still be on the team giving advice and help, I am sure you will see him as much as before, if not more.

We have a lot planned for the future of the site and none of it is in the nature of reducing or cutting back the site. There will in the very near future be a regular coloum by Bill Trotter as a new part of The Wargamer content. We also envisage that the news coverage will be much broader and up to date.

I think that something to bear in mind here is that I am a wargamer, its not a question of some faceless corporation taking over and stripping out whats good etc. To my mind the Wargamer is a special and unique site, which I am sure you will agree with. As a gamer I want to simply do what I can to make the site better on any aspects that can be improved and continue with the site doing what its always done in terms of providing you with what you want.

You can always email me with your concerns or issues, if you think something is being missed or overlooked etc.

Les, before the WG deal came along we had plans to do what the WG recently did anyway, which is to cut away dead and non active forums and leave the active forums. this has worked very well at WG and there is absolutely no reason to touch the forums there apart from maybe adding forums as the need arises. (have to be a good reason though lol)

Cheers

Shaun

Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
----------------------
http://www.closecombat.org/csoforums/portal.php

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 10
- 2/21/2003 8:40:03 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Lots of positivity so far surrounding this.

I liked the revamping of Wargamer, it might also help Military Gamer. Of course best scenario is that Wargamer and Military gamer mesh the best of both.

Both have their hot spots. Twice as many hot spots has to be an improvement, or so one might expect.

Both had dull spots as well. While they might be exciting to a few, forums which exhibit no movement each time someone enters the forums, sends a negative message.

It would be the same as entering a bar, and never seeing anyone there "oh boy I want to spend time here".

I think of course, that with any merging of similar purpose ventures, there will be some cross over redundancy.
I am not expecting Military Gamer to simply just keep everything (that would not necessarily automatically have merit).
I am to some extent, expecting to see a trimmed down Wargamer subsection of Military Gamer.

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 11
- 2/21/2003 8:55:07 PM   
Cyrus Coe

I never thought of Wargamer.com or MGO as places that lived & died by their forums. There are many fan sites out there with forums that serve that purpose better. Wargamer & MGO were places that I received some good, up to date information on the gaming community. Don't get me wrong, I still would like to see a forum at the new site, but just wouldn't expect to see the same amout of traffic as compared to a fan site.

You can call me Cy

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 12
- 2/21/2003 9:03:02 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I am sure there are a lot of people that are review junkies hehe.

Lots of people that are scenarios locations demons.

News hounds must abound.

But for me, I visit a site if it has an active forum community.
Because a gamer's comments mean more to me than a reviewer.
And if a game is any good, it will have lots of scenarios to find, and I would rather a gamer told me about those locations.
And I seem to prefer getting news from the forums.

I have sometimes visited a sites home page and looked around. But I rarely care for anything outside of the forums.
That might just be me.

(in reply to VicKevlar)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> MilitaryGamerOnline is acquiring The Wargamer Web Site Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI