Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues - 1/27/2011 9:53:10 AM   
anthonykevinluke

Greetings,

I have now completed my fourth GC game VS the AI as the Axis (two as Soviets as well); first three on Normal, the last on challenging modified (Sov at 110 for everything and Germans at 100). In this last game I took up to and including Leningrad, Vshny Volochek, Rzhev, Vyzama, Bryansk, Orel, Kursk, belgorod, Kharkov, the Stalino trio, and Vorishilovgrad by the end of snow. Most of the defensive line was level 3 or higher forts. Casualties were approx .5m Axis and 4m Soviet at this time. Average Inf experience was 70 -76% and str averaged about 84%. At end of Blizzard held a line Leningrad and Smolensk, Orel, Kharkov, Stalino trio. Most german Inf Divs were now experience 43 -48% and between 4 -6k in men (TOE 30-40). Casualties were 1.5m Axis and 5m soviet. Note - my Pz troops were all safe in deep cities so no loss or damage to them. I tried a "Linebacker defense where there were enough troops, but the Soviets just rolled through. Tempting just to withdraw to the X 54 line and advance again in 42 snow, may even catch the Sov masses strung out and tired rather than three deep and waiting. Will try this sometime (as a test) and let you know what happens

Some observations/comment -

Experience should not be lost in this way (these 30 -40% are the battered veterans!) and the troops coming back from the pool of disabled should retain experience level, new troops have the national average (both sides). Not sure if this is do-able.

Soviets do not seem to be lacking in manpower despite taking all these cities.

Soviet industry is not effected as everything is easily evacuated and troop masses moved with ease, air interdiction is rare.

Will try a PBEM soon. Overall, I love the game and enjoy playing both sides. I do tend to think that the Blizzard is overpowered if the axis has prepared for it and that the experience loss to the Ger Inf is crippling (= disabled coming back with the correct experience)

Regards,

Tony
Post #: 1
RE: Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues - 1/27/2011 10:03:37 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: tony luke
Experience should not be lost in this way (these 30 -40% are the battered veterans!) and the troops coming back from the pool of disabled should retain experience level, new troops have the national average (both sides). Not sure if this is do-able.

I think they're trying to fix the replacement issue.

quote:

There's more outside the map.

quote:

Soviet industry is not effected as everything is easily evacuated and troop masses moved with ease, air interdiction is rare.

The transport happens too deep behind the lines to be bombed?

(in reply to anthonykevinluke)
Post #: 2
RE: Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues - 1/27/2011 10:30:36 AM   
karonagames

quote:

Testing is very focused on this at the moment to see if there is a bug at work. We have found one bug that can indirectly affect experience, and have just received a fix that I will be testing over the weekend. There is agreement that the experience drop is too severe but we have to be 100% certain bugs are not involved before any rule changes are applied. We have seen reasonable recovery of morale and experience in the post-blizzard, but we need to look at turn 53 data to see how short the levels are compared to the 1942 campaign start.

We are also analysing the soviets to see if they are gaining too much morale and experience.

It's only a Game

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 3
RE: Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues - 1/27/2011 10:31:45 AM   
karonagames

quote:

This is next on our list to start looking at in detail.

It's only a Game

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 4
RE: Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues - 1/27/2011 10:35:29 AM   
karonagames

quote:

Not sure there is enough evidence of this - I have seen the Soviets very short on Tanks and well over on Aircraft. I assume that interdiction is part of the Air Power review that is going on, but I am not involved in that.

Rail capacity is also under review, but again not my area.

It's only a Game

Post #: 5
RE: Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues - 1/27/2011 10:56:15 AM   
Zemke

I have data for one year of fighting against the AI, where would you like it posted, or e-mailed BigAnorak?

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

Post #: 6
RE: Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues - 1/27/2011 11:29:03 AM   
karonagames

For the experience test I am waiting for a save for turn 53 from someone else so I can track the experience increase post-blizzard.

Regards the Population/manpower, I need to know what the front line is on turn 53. Were leningrad/Moscow captured? If there is a large variance from the historical front it may not help as much as seeing numbers where there is a small variance.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 7
RE: Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues - 1/27/2011 12:40:18 PM   
Tarhunnas

I am on my first grand campaign as the Axis, and I also have the impression that winter is a bit too harsh on the Germans. For example, I ended up in a more or less historical encirclement of Leningrad, and tried to sit the winter out in level 3 forts with about one infantry division in ech hex, but I got a corps sized force cut off and eliminated by the Ladoga shore. Historically, the Germans held the encirclement of Leningrad without too much trouble. I got another corps encircled and eliminated in the south, but that I deserved, as I was out in the open and no forts trying to get Stalino before winter.

What feels really galling is that no attempt at counterattack has even a remote chance of succeding, even with a whole panzer corps in reasonably good supply. The Germans could and did counterattack in selected locations during the winter of 41-42, but in the game this is all but impossible. The front near t Moscow on a historical situation map from early -42 looks like a swiss cheese, but in the game such attempts to stand fast are suicide for the Germans!

In my view, the winter effects on the Axis should be mitigated for units in forts. This would make German units more vulnereble if they continued the offensive too long (which IS a temptation), but make units snug in fortifications more resistant. I also feel the winter effects should wear off a little in january.

I realize this is my first campaign, but these are my feelings so far.

< Message edited by Tarhunnas -- 1/27/2011 12:41:45 PM >

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Some feed back on the Axis Winter Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI