Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Forts

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Forts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Forts - 1/24/2011 12:56:20 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

Tonights dilemma: Soviet forts - a waste of APs or a most useful way to spend APs during initial Barb onslaught?
Post #: 1
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 12:58:49 AM   
Great_Ajax

They are useful only if you build them well behind your lines and they have time to build up the entrechment levels. They are waste if they are going to be seeing fronline action within a couple of months. These should be used as long-term defensive plans.

Trey

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 2
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 1:45:16 AM   
Q-Ball

I wouldn't build any initially; too expensive (16 APs). Even if they are free, they are ONLY good for two things:

1. Ditch digging behind the lines, and
2. Guarding the Finnish Border

Disband when the enemy is near, they are a waste of manpower in combat.

You can also use NKVD Regts to guard the Finns just as easily, and without spending APs

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 3
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 1:45:52 AM   
Jakerson

Yeah fort lvl 3-4 with with rifle division or two inflict pretty good casuties for attacker if he need to attack you and cant isolate you first. It is really nasty tactic for soviet to build up these along the costline in the south and leave couple rifle division inside them too.

They cannot be isolated as they get supplies from sea and it really delay german advance as they have to leave units behind to handle these forts. Even if german decimate these forts in the end they take some nasty casulties while doing it and suffer painful delays really worth of losing couple rifle divisions and fort for it.

Only problem is that you need time to build up them to be properly effective.

Alone they cant do that but supported with rifle division or two in same stack makes german roar in pain if its done correctly.

< Message edited by Jakerson -- 1/24/2011 1:46:44 AM >

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 4
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 4:49:51 AM   
2ndACR

Build lots of them on the front Oleg, lots and lots of them. Use them as speed bumps. Don't listen to them.

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 5
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 5:55:27 AM   
Mynok

I detect some propaganda here.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 6
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 7:18:08 AM   
PMCN

I built 1-3 of them per turn, I reinforced them with a sapper bn, a mortar bn and a mg-art bn or AA guns or AT guns, where I could.  They can make a huge difference in the combat and will cause a lot of enemy casualties even if the battle is lost.  Their artillery is considerably more effective then regular guns, it fire more often, it fires far more accurately.

But they need several weeks to come on line so you need to build them behind your front lines.  They support but do not replace troops.  They are also the only thing that you can attach support troops to, and they can accept artillery.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 7
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 7:28:28 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

Tonights dilemma: Soviet forts - a waste of APs or a most useful way to spend APs during initial Barb onslaught?

Oleg, the Soviet forts are extremely expensive at the beginning - they are simply not worth the AP's... I would avoid them completely...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 8
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 11:14:49 AM   
karonagames

Spend the APs in getting your better generals to the areas that need defending. They will increase defensive CVs for more units than the Forts will.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 9
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 2:18:42 PM   
wildweasel0585

make a defensive line in the rear and then load them up with some arty

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 10
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 2:31:59 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11
Oleg, the Soviet forts are extremely expensive at the beginning - they are simply not worth the AP's... I would avoid them completely...

Yikes, interesting comment from a developer (at least I think you are)! I typically use them extensively (as Russian), especially along the Finnish border and in front of Moscow (to build up fort levels from the beginning of the war), and am not sure that I would have enough units to use for these purposes instead of forts...

Also, I have thus far not gotten into swapping leaders around (although I swap units around as needed), didn't realize that the effect can be that great...is this the best use of early war APs for the Sovs, or creating new units, support units, etc.?

< Message edited by 76mm -- 1/24/2011 2:32:45 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 11
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 3:00:42 PM   
2ndACR

Listen to no one, build them!!!! They are your primary defense force. Right on the front line. Pull everyone else back, those troops are no good, the forts are where it is at,

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 12
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 3:02:51 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Yikes, interesting comment from a developer (at least I think you are)! I typically use them extensively (as Russian), especially along the Finnish border and in front of Moscow (to build up fort levels from the beginning of the war), and am not sure that I would have enough units to use for these purposes instead of forts...

Also, I have thus far not gotten into swapping leaders around (although I swap units around as needed), didn't realize that the effect can be that great...is this the best use of early war APs for the Sovs, or creating new units, support units, etc.?

Yep... both me and "BigAnorak" who alpso posted here are ALPHA/BETA testers for WitE...

We don't use forts (at least not as Soviets at the beginning)... it is much more efficient to spend those precious APs somewhere else!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 13
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 3:11:32 PM   
karonagames

quote:

is this the best use of early war APs for the Sovs, or creating new units, support units, etc.?

The great thing about this game is that there is no "best" strategy - each player can and will develop their own style of play.

I focus on "value for money" from APs, and the more I play, the more I see the influence of Leaders on Soviet combat performance. 7 rated infantry leaders can put together strong counter attacks on Panzer spearheads, and can swing defensive battles in the SU's favour.

The right support units attached to the right HQs is also looking like good value in my book.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 14
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 3:16:39 PM   
PMCN

Fortified Regions have two values.  The first is you can attach 3 support units to them.  Pre-December 41 this is the only way a Soviet player can guarantee support units show up to battle, they can also attach artillery support units.  A Sapper Bn, a mortar Bn and a MG-Art Bn added to the base F.R. substantially increases its fire power.

The second is that they add guns to the battle.  Given how artillery poor the typical 41 Rifle division is, a fully kitted out F.R. with 100 guns is a huge force multiplier.  Plus they get bonuses that regular artillery do not.  When you watch the battle you see them firing often, far more often then the pathetic artillery of a rifle division will fire.  It is also significantly more accurate so you see a lot of hits.  This means the enemy gets hammered by your artillery and machine guns on the way to the battle.  So they will take losses in the battle and not the anemic 100 or so they take in a regular battle where they blow your troops out of position before they close so your troops rifles can do something.

Unsupported they won't stop the enemy, but in 41 winning for the Soviet player is defined as forcing the German player to switch to deliberate attacks.  And a fully kitted out F.R. with an infantry division in a good entrenchment behind a river line is nothing that falls to a hasty attack from a single division.  If it is worth doing this is up to you to decide, I've so far only once changed out a commander, but that is house rule for me.  The AI forced out one of my F.R.'s (and 2 Rifle Divisions) by massing 60,000 men and took 1600 casaulties mainly from the artillery and only just pulled it off because it got doubling on a large number of its units as the odds were 2.1:1.  I am dubious that 3 Rifle divisions would have survived even the first attack, and this was a F.R. with only an attached Sapper Bn and AA Bn, plus he managed to work one division around the land side so he wasn't coming all across the rivers.  I am certain that the casualties would have been lower against 3 Rifle divisions.

As an extra bonus an over-run F.R. generally has 50% of its men and guns escape the battle so its fairly cost effective to leave them as speed bumps. 

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 15
RE: Forts - 1/24/2011 4:13:03 PM   
Mehring

Personally, I tend to go for the leaders and support unit transfers in 1941. Forts don't create guns, do they? So if your divisions are low on guns, they'll be in even shorter supply if they're competing to fill their TOE with Forts. I take the point about better gun fire from Forts but they don't have an impressive digging capability and a long term planned defence belt is also long term visible to an opponent who can usually plan to encircle it.

Out of interest, what's the survival rate of artillery attached to a fort that surrenders?

Winning battles improves morale and experience which can have a longer term advantage than just causing some good enemy losses and losing all the troops that did the damage. Good generals with troops they are suited to command and good SU allocation is probably the best way to achive this.

(in reply to PMCN)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Forts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI