Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Artillery and targets?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Artillery and targets? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artillery and targets? - 9/14/2002 10:55:48 AM   
Adamo

When assigned a target does artillery (including OB, mortars, bombing planes, etc) continue to bombard that target until it is reassigned another target or it is manually stopped OR does it bombard only once and then stops and waits for another command?
Post #: 1
- 9/14/2002 2:45:50 PM   
bigtroutz

SPWAW is kinda squirrelly in this regard. IF you dont go back into the arty assignment screen during the turn following assigning arty, SOME units will continue to bombard the same assigned hexes, particularly larger arty (I generally find out I forgot to reassign arty targets when I wander underneath my own barrage.:eek: It seems like 60mm and 81 mm usually dont.

One useful tidbit, if you assign the same arty unit to bombard the same hex on the following turn, you usually get a .1 delay as opposed to a .4 - 1.5 delay if you assign it a different hex target. Combine this with the 'offset' button and you can create a very nice walking barrage without using up 'gold target' assignments

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 2
- 9/15/2002 12:11:12 AM   
tracer

The 'carry-over' bombardments occur with certain arrival times and certain arty types/calibers: I [I]believe[/I] 0.2 causes some rounds to land at the end of your current turn, and more rounds to land at the beginning of your opponent's turn...with 0.4-0.5 the arrival is at the end of your opponent's turn with further rounds landing at the start of your next turn.

And on the subject of target retention: one unrealistic feature of SPWAW arty is that when an artillery unit moves it still gets the benefit of increased accuracy and 0.1 timing on fire missions to its last target hex. I understand this is something thats 'hardwired' and can't be changed; the only reason I'm mentioning it is so that all are aware of this 'phenomenon', preventing it from being exploited in a one-sided manner.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 3
Mmmm, Artillery! - 9/17/2002 2:29:03 AM   
challenge

To start, delays up to .2 drops at the end of your turn (start of other guys turn?) before the opponant moves. From .4 to .9 it will land at the end of your opponant's turn, after movement. At 1.0 + it starts coming down next turn. The artillery splits the fire into two phases so the first half of .2 is before movement and the rest is after; .3 up to .9 wil drop at the end of the opponant's move this turn, with the second half dropping before his movement for the next turn.

So if it is Turn 3:

.2 delay or less will drop rounds before the opponant moves in Turn 3 and the rest after movement in Turn 3.

.3 - .9 delay drops at the end of opponant movement in Turn 3, with the rest dropping before movement in Turn 4.

Up to 1.2 will drop before enemy movement in Turn 4 with the rest after movement in Turn 4.

1.3 and higher drops in Turn 4 after enemy movement and again in Turn 5 before enemy movemment.

2.whatever will work the same way two turns later.

This considers you as Player 1. Should you be Player 2, it works the same way but the numbers adjust for the fact you are ending and not starting the inning. (The end of your Turn 3 is Player 1's Turn 4, not turn three.) The time lag is consistant.

The number of rounds is based on the delay. At .1 it's about half in the first drop and half in the second, but at .2 more drop later. The .6 area splits about half for the after movement drop.

With practice, it is possible to walk your artillery along the front edge of the opponant's advance with reasonable accuracy.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to Adamo)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Artillery and targets? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI