Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allied China quesiton

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Allied China quesiton Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allied China quesiton - 1/23/2011 2:10:20 AM   
Blue Water Navy

Any tips in getting the chineese army in fighthing shape..and where to defend and what to give up?
Post #: 1
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/23/2011 2:56:59 AM   
Nomad

I try to get them to non-clear terrain first. It takes a lot of time and supply( which you don't have ) to get them in better shape to fight well. Make sure you turn off all facility repairs and select very carefully which forts/airbases you will improve.

(in reply to Blue Water Navy)
Post #: 2
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/23/2011 3:20:38 AM   
Blue Water Navy

whats the best way to keep china supplied?

Post #: 3
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/23/2011 11:03:06 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Water Navy

There is none if your opponent is competent.

If your opponent is careless and leaves Rangoon under Allied control for any period of time, the best way by far to get supply into China is to ship supply to Rangoon and then use the supply push/pull levers next to the supply required button on the base screen to walk supply through to China. If you are allowed to do this then you need never suffer any supply shortages in China.

Next best is to ship supply to the few Chinese ports. You probably won't be able to keep those ports for long due to lack of control over the SLOC, will be reduced to using sub transports which will only move a small amount. Furthermore you will have to balance the use of the sub transports to move supply to China compared to using them to get some supply to your cut off forces in the Philippines or Singapore. The latter are usually accorded a much higher priority by Allied players.

The last and most practical long term approach is to fly supply over the hump. Again very small amounts are moved (even less than via subs), high operational airplane losses will probably result and you need suitable airbases for the airlift.

Alfred

Post #: 4
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/23/2011 2:42:29 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

A couple of thoughts:

China has four "core areas": The Chungking Basin; Sian-Lanchow; The Changsha RR net; and Kunming-Burma. Together, they produce about 2,000 supply daily (direct supply production and light industry production). Your refineries in Lanchow (90) and Sian (20) create enough fuel for your heavy industry -- mostly in Chungking and Chengtu -- to sustain production of another 1000 supplies each day. Finally, you get an extra 500 supplies a day so long as the Burma Road remains open.

If you don't have a house rule against strategic bombing in China, a competent Japanese player will quickly shut down the refineries with air strikes. So within a few months, at most, you can expect to lose the Burma Road and HI supplies.

For the other sources, try to defend in x2 or x3 defensive terrain in front of the cities. Once the city is besieged, you lose your LI supply production. Try to hang on to the dot base (Pingsiang) near Changsha if you can -- resource and industry needs are roughly balanced in your core areas, and if you lose Pingsiang with its 160 resources your industry may not be able to sustain full production.

While the Japanese still have their attention focused on Singapore and the DEI, I try to assemble 100,000 supplies from India and Capetown and deliver them to Rangoon. Then manipulate base supply levels to move the supply through Burma and into China. I have had imperfect success with this approach, but I think it is worth pursuing. Even if you succeed, China will still have to tighten its belt; 100k supplies is less than one month's worth of China's pre-war production.

Good luck!

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 5
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/23/2011 5:05:54 PM   
USSAmerica

The bottleneck with trying to "push/pull" supplies over the road from Burma is the 200 or 300 max per day limit on some of the small in between bases in the mountains.  You would never have enough time to move 100k supplies this way into China, unless the Japanese player never invades Burma.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 6
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/23/2011 5:07:58 PM   
USSAmerica

To contribute something useful, instead of just mentioning what you can't do, I think the best way to keep China supplied the best you can is to use as little supply as possible in China.  Severely limit the units that draw replacements and the bases where you build forts and airfields.  Air ops also use up supply. 

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 7
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/23/2011 5:54:26 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

Any tips in getting the chineese army in fighthing shape..and where to defend and what to give up?

On the first turn I set all forces to prepare for the location I plan to use them defending the faster they get to 100 points the faster they start building experience.

It took me awhile but I wrote down all Chinese armys and keep them attached to their HQs in and around certain cities I plan on defending, there's many LCUs to wade through and its a clearer picture when you have organization, atleast for me anyway.

I keep my HQs with one hex range -one hex back from the fighting to the units that are attached and the HQs with 5 range positioned accordingly to benefit as many as I can and they're not exposed to enemy fire.

I switch out many of the leaders of units because of the low experience they need all the assistance they can get and your best should be near the front, check your base forces and engineers you may be able to find some good leaders for Chinese LCUs in those outfits. Keeping in mind that good chinese leader needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

In time some air units need to be changed to Chinese Air to free them up and moved to India for additional training and keep them out of harms way if the opponent is active in China with top shelf air frames in numbers, not to mention training eats supply.

On the first turn load up all the amphibs you can with supply from India and Ceylon and dump it over the beach at Akyab and Rangoon and draw them up the Burma Road into China until you lose air superiority/Japanese player closes the beach. Backfill supply to India and Ceylon from off map sources Capetown and Abadan I dropped 100k plus over the beach and sucked it into China my last PBEM.

Take note of hexes and their defensive bonuses anything +3 is great especially if it's behind a river, the last thing you want to defend is clear hexes armor will really get after you.

Note your small LCUs that can be divided to harass the Japanese player and slow him down or be a thorn in his side but they need to be placed strategically depending on your defense points.

Don't build any airfields near the front because the Japanese player will more than likely seize it and your air campaign will be largely defensive anyway.

IMO a good number of your chinese bombers should be on recon and training for recon so you can better see what the Japanese are doing and where they are moving.

Turn all industry repairs off so you don't waste supply and turn off replacements on all units. Turn on replacements to your best unit or three, monitor supply every few turns.

Some may play differently but these are some that come to mind that I use.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 1/23/2011 6:00:23 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Post #: 8
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/24/2011 3:20:33 PM   
crsutton

Once you get sufficient air transport. Buy out the restricted units that you can-especially those that are worn down to just a few men. Then fly a few to India and allow them to take replacments in India. It cost supply to take replacements. Something that you will have plenty of in India. You can only do it with a few unrestricted units but why not?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 9
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/24/2011 4:27:42 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Once you get sufficient air transport. Buy out the restricted units that you can-especially those that are worn down to just a few men. Then fly a few to India and allow them to take replacments in India. It cost supply to take replacements. Something that you will have plenty of in India. You can only do it with a few unrestricted units but why not?

This approach very closely mimics how some of the Chinese divisions that fought in Burma were handled IRL. They were shipped out of China in rags, unequipped, poorly trained and half-starved. After months of supply, refit and training in India, they were a legitimate fighting force.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 10
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/25/2011 2:00:57 AM   
bigred

quote:

It took me awhile but I wrote down all Chinese armys and keep them attached to their HQs in and around certain cities I plan on defending, there's many LCUs to wade through and its a clearer picture when you have organization, atleast for me anyway.

I keep my HQs with one hex range -one hex back from the fighting to the units that are attached and the HQs with 5 range positioned accordingly to benefit as many as I can and they're not exposed to enemy fire.
bump, Excellent use of my obsessive mind. My china map/deployment is hanging on the wall above my monitor...I slide armies to the right or left of the front line depending on the jap moves...if you get the corp 1hex next to the parent HQ then you will get the leader bonus in combat if the enemy does not have a nearby HQ for his combat units.. Also note I like to get organized very early , the longer you wait the worse the supply situation gets and I need to stop moving units.

< Message edited by bigred -- 1/25/2011 2:21:42 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/25/2011 5:57:28 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

quote:

bump, Excellent use of my obsessive mind. My china map/deployment is hanging on the wall above my monitor...I slide armies to the right or left of the front line depending on the jap moves...if you get the corp 1hex next to the parent HQ then you will get the leader bonus in combat if the enemy does not have a nearby HQ for his combat units.. Also note I like to get organized very early , the longer you wait the worse the supply situation gets and I need to stop moving units.

I envy you Big Red, one day I hope to have a war room but some how think the misses wouldn't be too happy if she came home from work and saw I took down her decorations in an attempt to save the free world.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 12
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/25/2011 7:36:34 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigred

quote:

I envy you Big Red, one day I hope to have a war room but some how think the misses wouldn't be too happy if she came home from work and saw I took down her decorations in an attempt to save the free world.

Sigh, they just dont understand us.......

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 13
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/27/2011 9:57:45 PM   
dr.hal

Well mine does and I have both a fantastic wife AND a war room.... I live in contentment.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 14
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/28/2011 2:35:29 AM   
pws1225

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Well mine does and I have both a fantastic wife AND a war room.... I live in contentment.

Don't listen to Dr. Hal. IRL, he's the archetypical Norwegian bachelor who lives in a one room cabin in northern Vermont. Being snow-bound 8 months out of the year, he is prone to dilusion. His 'fantastic wife' is certainly magnificent, but is only a figment of poor Hal's imagination. In truth, his only companion is his old dog who he named 'Lucky' for reasons I will not go into. And sadly, his 'war room' consists of a clipboard holding scribbled notes hanging on the wall of the privy back behind his cabin.

Hey Hal, don't you owe me a turn?

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 15
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/28/2011 12:58:12 PM   
dr.hal

Well PSW1225, I thought you wouldn't kiss and tell? Jealousy doesn't become you! And the "privy" is the warmest place in the house right now...

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 16
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/28/2011 11:21:30 PM   
zace

Is getting a 52" monitor for WITP:AE too much?

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 17
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/29/2011 2:18:02 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: zace

Is getting a 52" monitor for WITP:AE too much?

Nope! I've spent many hours with my laptop displayed on my 46" Samsung. You can see a LOT of the map at 1920 x 1080 resolution!

Mike

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 18
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/29/2011 2:52:40 PM   
Lifer

How close do you have to be to read it?

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 19
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/29/2011 3:03:26 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lifer

How close do you have to be to read it?

On a 46" screen, about 4-6 feet away.

BTW, it is actually our TV that I can use for computer video display.

Mike

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 20
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/29/2011 3:11:45 PM   
Lifer

I got a 37" HDTV for Christmas.  My monitor went out the month before and I borrowed my son's.  I told my wife I was going to use the TV for the computer.  TV has four HDMI inputs and I just need to find a cable long enough to reach the computer.

Greg

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 21
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/30/2011 4:01:52 AM   
zace

I actually went and bought a 52" for the computer for slower games like WITP and have the 24" high speed for other things. Sitting anywhere in the room (spare bedroom turned into computer / office room you can read anything in with at 1920...

I have not used the other monitor in 9 months...

New vegas is fun at 6' on a 52" screen too. BUT WITP is so much better when it takes 4' and displays so many hexes... really gives the feel when it takes several days for a task force to move across the screen.

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 22
RE: Allied China quesiton - 1/30/2011 8:14:39 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: zace

I actually went and bought a 52" for the computer for slower games like WITP and have the 24" high speed for other things. Sitting anywhere in the room (spare bedroom turned into computer / office room you can read anything in with at 1920...

I have not used the other monitor in 9 months...

New vegas is fun at 6' on a 52" screen too. BUT WITP is so much better when it takes 4' and displays so many hexes... really gives the feel when it takes several days for a task force to move across the screen.

I absolutely agree, zace! Seeing a much larger chunk of the map at one time like that really drives home the scale of the War in the Pacific!

Mike

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 23
RE: Allied China quesiton - 2/1/2011 1:07:23 PM   
obvert

Back to the idea of moving supplies from Burma to China by sucking them up, is there a guide somewhere on the exact method for doing that? I have tried a bit, but it seems to get stuck in Kunming at about 15,000, and never go up or get across to the other Chinese cities. Do I just wait longer, or turn the need down in Kunming below that of the next cities in line, and hope for the best?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 24
RE: Allied China quesiton - 2/1/2011 2:58:29 PM   
USSAmerica

If you are getting the supplies to move all the way to Kumming, you have made it past the hard part.  You can only get around 300 or so supply points to move over the trail through the mountains per day, if you have any patch level installed.  I believe these limits were added in the first patch to slow down the express freight trains carrying supplies in these areas. 

And, yes, if you have a surplus of supplies at Kumming now, make sure you drop the supply request levels of bases back down the trail so they won't draw supplies, and then drop the supply request level at Kumming.  They should be drawn into other bases in China over a couple of turns.

Mike

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 25
RE: Allied China quesiton - 2/1/2011 4:38:17 PM   
obvert

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Allied China quesiton Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI