Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

mouse and windows 7

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> mouse and windows 7 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
mouse and windows 7 - 11/4/2010 4:41:58 PM   
chiccoperrone

hello i just tried the game on my windows 7 64 bit machine and in every version of harpoon 3 (running in a windows, on full screen the color are corrupted) the mouse stutters so much that is unplayable
Post #: 1
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/4/2010 4:57:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hm, not seeing that on our Windows 7 test systems here. What kind of mouse are you using? Do you have the latest mouse driver? Do you have any of the non-default mouse options turned on?

Could you post a DxDiag for us please?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to chiccoperrone)
Post #: 2
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/4/2010 5:16:42 PM   
chiccoperrone

i am using a logitech g700 wireless mouse, is quite weird cause i don't remember such problem on the old version of the game, playing with compatibility options didn't help either, let me make some more troubleshooting with old harpoon 3 and differente mice

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/4/2010 11:11:28 PM   
chiccoperrone

same story with another mouse, while on my other pc with vista it is fine, i'm using last ati catalyst drivers

Post #: 4
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 12:14:06 AM   
Hertston

Sorry to report the same problem as the original poster . Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit), Logitech MX 518 mouse, latest drivers installed (Setpoint 6.15.25).

EDIT: It's not the Logitech; same problem with a Microsoft mouse.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/5/2010 12:33:39 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 12:43:50 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

I get the same issues with Win 7 64 bit and Logitech mouse, connected through a KVM. Mainly is a problem with the windowed mode, full screen it is considerably smoother and more manageable.

I also get the corrupted colors in full screen mode, but only in the editors for Harpoon ANW Ultimate so far (haven't tested other versions yet thoroughly).

DxDiag attached.

EDIT: Corrupted colours also appears to be a problem with the game itself, not just editors.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 11/5/2010 1:03:20 AM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 6
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 1:29:47 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

Mainly is a problem with the windowed mode, full screen it is considerably smoother and more manageable.

Confirmed in my case, mouse is OK in psychedelic... sorry, fullscreen mode (see other thread).

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/5/2010 1:30:03 AM >

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 7
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 8:28:21 AM   
chiccoperrone

so it seems OS related not mouse related
on vista 64 + logitech mouse + ati catalyst: runs fine
on 7 64 + either logitech or microsoft mouse + ati catalyst: stutter (compatibily mode windows xp3 + last 3 options flagged not helping)

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 8
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 10:36:29 AM   
Hertston

I've got a GeForce 9800 GT (latest drivers); so I think we can rule out the GPU or its drivers.

Post #: 9
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 11:17:15 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 here, so agree it most likely isn't GPU or driver related.

Also is no better with a Wacom tablet or MS Mouse, so doesn't seem to be related to a specific mouse or driver.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 11/5/2010 11:18:12 AM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 10
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 11:18:58 AM   
sprior

I installed it on my laptop, a Dell Latitude E5500 with Vista Business and neither my keyboard or touchpad work.

Edit: This is only an issue in Window-ed mode, in full screen it seems to work okay.

< Message edited by sprior -- 11/5/2010 11:51:32 AM >

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 11
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 4:31:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

We are investigating this and trying to figure out what's going on. Hang in there guys and please do use the full screen mode as a work-around if you are experiencing this issue on Windows 7.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 12
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 4:56:38 PM   
chiccoperrone

ok, however full screen mode has all colors corrupted for me.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 13
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 7:23:37 PM   
uncleharpoon

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to give us some pretty detailed configuration information.

Obviously, we didn't have the problem on our test systems but, it appears you guys generally have newer gear than we do! I do have a Win7 x64 system with an older Mobo, but a GT240 card - I tested in windowed mode and things were fine if I wasn't running too much in background (like a VM). Again, older Mobo.

Anyway, we are going to do some digging and try to figure this out.

Your help and patience is very much appreciated.

If anyone is willing to help by running test builds, please PM me and we'll put you to work.

Thank you!

Don

Post #: 14
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 7:55:14 PM   
jbmoore68

For corrupted colors, you may want to check out this thread in SPWAW forum

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2452605

Just tried this with a batch file, seems to fix corrupted colors in full screen, don't know about the mouse problem though

here is batch file

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
harpoon3.exe
Start explorer.exe

< Message edited by themoores1 -- 11/5/2010 8:21:08 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 8:43:32 PM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

That's a bizarre solution. Reading that thread now.

Thanks,

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

(in reply to jbmoore68)
Post #: 16
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/5/2010 11:41:56 PM   
chiccoperrone

till the mouse problem get sorted i am running harpoon 3 on my windows 7 machine using virtual pc xp mode. In the VM the mouse pointer has a noticeable trail, but there's no lag or stutter at all

(in reply to rsharp@advancedgamin)
Post #: 17
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/6/2010 12:02:11 AM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

In the H3Launcher there is a Mouse speed setting under the Game Preferences tab. Try a few different settings and let us know how it works.

Thanks,

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

Post #: 18
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/6/2010 12:50:26 AM   
rsharp@advancedgamin

Another idea is to set the process affinity of Harpoon3. To do this you would:

1. Open Task Manager (typically via CTRL-ALT-DEL)
2. Select the Process tab and find Harpoon3.exe
3. Right-click and slick affinity.
4. De-select all but one processor.

This would only affect machines with multiple cores. It's not the least technical solution but until we can replicate the issue on our end we'll be taking these shots in the dark.

Thanks,

Russell
Advanced Gaming Systems
Home of Computer Harpoon

Post #: 19
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/6/2010 12:51:26 AM   
chiccoperrone

yes i did tried that, but it doesn't seems to make any difference at all, i would say the mouse speed is the same with any setting on that slider

Post #: 20
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/6/2010 12:59:53 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncleharpoon

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to give us some pretty detailed configuration information.

Obviously, we didn't have the problem on our test systems but, it appears you guys generally have newer gear than we do! I do have a Win7 x64 system with an older Mobo, but a GT240 card - I tested in windowed mode and things were fine if I wasn't running too much in background (like a VM). Again, older Mobo.

Anyway, we are going to do some digging and try to figure this out.

Your help and patience is very much appreciated.

If anyone is willing to help by running test builds, please PM me and we'll put you to work.

Thank you!

Don

PM sent

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsharp@advancedgamin

In the H3Launcher there is a Mouse speed setting under the Game Preferences tab. Try a few different settings and let us know how it works.

Thanks,

At fast, the mouse pointer is jerky and extremely difficult to control.
At the medium setting, the mouse pointer is less jerky and somewhat difficult to control.
At the slow setting, the mouse pointer is a lot less jerky and not as difficult to control.

The slow settings almost cures the problem, although is still slightly difficult to control and not as responsive or accurate as you would normally expect. Probably would still present an issue, when say trying to target individual missiles in a barrage that are in close proximity to each other, although is much better than the fastest setting and allows the user to make use of the interface and menus, which was near impossible on the fastest setting.

Also Its hard to say for sure, but the mouse pointer doesn't appear to be dramatically slower as the slider is adjusted and seems to respond at around the same speed, just with less jerkiness and more accuracy.

< Message edited by noguaranteeofsanity -- 11/6/2010 1:00:40 AM >

(in reply to uncleharpoon)
Post #: 21
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/6/2010 2:06:43 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

At fast, the mouse pointer is jerky and extremely difficult to control.
At the medium setting, the mouse pointer is less jerky and somewhat difficult to control.
At the slow setting, the mouse pointer is a lot less jerky and not as difficult to control.

The slow settings almost cures the problem, although is still slightly difficult to control and not as responsive or accurate as you would normally expect. Probably would still present an issue, when say trying to target individual missiles in a barrage that are in close proximity to each other, although is much better than the fastest setting and allows the user to make use of the interface and menus, which was near impossible on the fastest setting.

Also Its hard to say for sure, but the mouse pointer doesn't appear to be dramatically slower as the slider is adjusted and seems to respond at around the same speed, just with less jerkiness and more accuracy.

Agreed in all respects other than perhaps the last; as far as I can see the mouse speed is the same whatever it is set at.

quote:

This would only affect machines with multiple cores. It's not the least technical solution but until we can replicate the issue on our end we'll be taking these shots in the dark.

I tried this, but there was no visible difference.

quote:

ORIGINAL: chiccoperrone

till the mouse problem get sorted i am running harpoon 3 on my windows 7 machine using virtual pc xp mode. In the VM the mouse pointer has a noticeable trail, but there's no lag or stutter at all

With only Home Premium I couldn't try this, BUT just setting the .exe to XP compatibility does make a significant difference. Pointer movement is smooth, with no trail, with the only sign of any issue being that the pointer disappears briefly (far too quickly to time) every few inches. There is no difference in this case dependent on the slider, which still seems to have no effect on speed. Game is perfectly playable.

Post #: 22
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/6/2010 2:35:13 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

quote:

Thanks,

No difference when processor affinity is changed.

Post #: 23
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 11/6/2010 2:40:54 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

Running the game in XP compatibility mode seems to solve the problem pretty much, better than changing the mouse speed. Still has a little stutter or jerkiness, but much more manageable.

Post #: 24
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 2/2/2011 6:00:42 PM   
chiccoperrone

it ended up to be a mouse driver problem for me, i noticed that using a different logitech mouse with the same setpoint software didn't give me the mouse stutter issue, so i started playing with setpoint (it is the logitech software to control the mouse) and found out that all i had to do to make the logitech g700 working properly was to disable the option about native OS drivers controlling the cursor speed and acceleration

Post #: 25
RE: mouse and windows 7 - 2/6/2011 7:44:05 PM   
Phoenix100

I was just about to come here and say that I found a solution to the mouse problem when I see chiccoperrone has already posted the precise reverse. However, for what it's worth, for me, using a G9 laser mouse, with set point software, the settings that work are to ENABLE the native OS drivers BUT, to have acceleration set to full (3) and speed set to full (10). Paradoxically, this leads to a very slow mouse (whereas, if you DISABLE the native OS drivers it leads to a superfast mouse) which you can then speed up using the DPI sensitivity levels. With only 1 DPI level (which is what I usually play shooter type games with - only with NO acceleration at all, normally) set to 600 and a polling rate of 1000 (if you're familiar with the pointer options in the set point software this will make sense) then the mouse works perfectly for me. Problem solved. Weird. This is playing ANW (there is no mouse problem in CE) on a win7 64 bit system in windowed mode. For what it's worth, as I said... For me the problem with the jittery pointer was not solved at all, by the way, by moving into full screen mode, or by messing with the affinty etc (I'm on an i5, with a Gforce GTX 460 1gb)
I had previously tried everything but hadn't thought to push up the acceleration, because that was counter-intuitive to solve erratic pointer behaviour. To push up the acceleration and enable the OS drivers, however, as I said, actually slows down the mouse (which, as I said, you then have to speed up by using the DPI sensitivity levels). I hope this maikes sense to some people. It would make no sense at all to me if I hadn't used and experimented with the set point settings.

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition >> Tech Support >> mouse and windows 7 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI