Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Plea for Stronger Components

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Plea for Stronger Components Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Plea for Stronger Components - 2/12/2011 3:38:45 AM   
Tampa_Gamer

Most ships seem to evaporate a few seconds after their shields go. I would like to see stronger components so that tactics such as redundant components and repair bots might actually contribute to the fight. As it is right now it simply seems to be a battle of the shields.

Of course if we had an external data file for the components that we could mod, I am sure the community would quickly resolve many of these types of balance issues with a unverisal "balance mod" similar to what was done for the Space Empire series. That would let the community resolve various play-balance issues, and allow the programmers to concentrate on bug-squashing, etc.
Post #: 1
RE: Plea for Stronger Components - 2/12/2011 8:03:27 AM   
Data

Excellent suggestions, both for the general wishlist and the modders one.
+1

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Tampa_Gamer)
Post #: 2
RE: Plea for Stronger Components - 2/12/2011 9:17:15 AM   
kenata

I honestly would love to see the game move towards an xml based system for their systems. Like it would be awesome if all of the components and techs were defined in a simple XML format so that we could add, remove, and rebalance components and techs in the simplest possible manner.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Plea for Stronger Components - 2/12/2011 8:44:06 PM   
Ares106

we can easily come up with and change all these components, but since this is primarily SP game, we will have to also modify the AI to use and deal with these changes.

Space empires for instance had a wealth of interesting components which could have led to some amazing complexity in tactics, nevertheless the AI would never take advantage of these, nor would they know how to deal with some of them, and instead resorted to building according to script instead of adapting.

(in reply to kenata)
Post #: 4
RE: Plea for Stronger Components - 2/12/2011 9:03:37 PM   
Sithuk

+1 to putting as much data into an easily modable form for the community to do the balancing.

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 5
RE: Plea for Stronger Components - 2/12/2011 9:59:05 PM   
Data

That is indeed a sad story for any AI but even if we can have a highly adaptive AI there is still a trap in which it will always fall: it builds huge number of ships before any conflict so even after the first encounter (when it adapts) it still has to wait to lose a significant number of ships before spawning the adapted ones.

Maybe we should have an AI capable of retrofiting ships as well; very rarely did I see this in any of the strategy games that I've played.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 6
RE: Plea for Stronger Components - 2/12/2011 10:39:05 PM   
Bingeling

The AI does suggest retrofitting all ships and bases to a human player. It is strange if all its ships are retrofitted.

Retrofitting is a difficult decision, though. A mass retrofit of all makes you vulnerable. And single fleets may have a limited number of nice retrofit times. I tend not to retrofit during war, and how often is the AI at peace?

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Plea for Stronger Components Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI