Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When did your 42 offensive stop !

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> When did your 42 offensive stop ! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/16/2011 7:26:04 PM   
Cavalry Corp

OK so when does the ( your ) Jap amchine run out of steam

I March 42 ( PBEM SCN 2 ) I am already facing a lot of B17 and they are making me more cautious.

cav
Post #: 1
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/16/2011 8:20:47 PM   
findmeifyoucan

Don't let them. Put them on ignore mode. There is nothing you can do about them anyways. In fact if the Americans really wanted to they could consolidate their B17's and start bombing a week after Pearl Harbour. You can't do anything about them so why worry about it. Possibly some highly trained zeroes may be able shoot down some of them but how long are you going to have guys like that kicking around.

Just keep going. The more teritory you take the harder it will be for those B17's to get to those important area's you don't want them to touch.

If he only has mainland USA then it is hard to bomb mainland Japan isn't it? :-)

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 2
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 4:59:54 AM   
bradfordkay

B17s don't exist in enough quantities in AE to stop the Japanese, only to make expansion more expensive. I wouldn't ignore them, but don't grant them superpower status by fearing them above all else. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to findmeifyoucan)
Post #: 3
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 6:11:10 AM   
JeffroK

Where do people scrape up all these B17 from, I have 2 Sqns with LB-30 & 2 with B17E in April 42, I dont use B17D except for training!

they cant be everywhere, make them move as Ops losses are often higher than those from combat.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 4
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 11:35:28 AM   
PaxMondo

If PDU is ON, then allies can downgrade stateside squadrons to get the 4E's and Lightnings into the war.  This counters the IJ ability (to some extent) to get Nates and Claudes moved out.

Pax

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 11:37:36 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Where do people scrape up all these B17 from, I have 2 Sqns with LB-30 & 2 with B17E in April 42, I dont use B17D except for training!

they cant be everywhere, make them move as Ops losses are often higher than those from combat.

They are mostly neglecting naval search

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 6
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 12:52:35 PM   
Canoerebel

In my Scenario Two game, the Japanese high water mark came in September 1942 with Japan at Jalagon, way up near Indore in northwestern India. Until somebody exceeds my record for futility, that has to be the furthest back an Allied player has been pressed.

As for B-17s, I must be doing something wrong. They are useful, but far too few to have any great impact on the game.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 7
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 2:51:07 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

If PDU is ON, then allies can downgrade stateside squadrons to get the 4E's and Lightnings into the war.  This counters the IJ ability (to some extent) to get Nates and Claudes moved out.

No, there just are not enough (B17s) and if the Allies squander them in bombing attacks they will be very short of aircraft for patrolling and training. (much more important early in the war) In scenario 2 a good Japanese will find their airfields and bomb them regarless of losses. Japan can replace bombers in 42 the allies can't

As for the early P38 E with some hard work the Allied player can get perhaps two squadrons of these operational. No matter though as they are virtually useless in the field. The service rating of four just makes it impossible to use them. Once again, just attack them at their bases-where they will be most likely sitting on the ground broken.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 4:38:19 PM   
offenseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

quote:

Lenny does that mean you and Rob are neglecting naval search? Somehow I doubt it...

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 9
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 4:58:59 PM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: offenseman

quote:

quote:

Lenny does that mean you and Rob are neglecting naval search? Somehow I doubt it...

There are intermediate stages between extremes.

Answering with "yes" would be like requesting a KB raid, correct?

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 10
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 6:54:58 PM   
AcePylut

In my PBEM, i downgraded all the restricted B17 groups I could to lesser ac, and upgraded the free or bought-out airgroups to them.  I flew them all to Oz (Because that's where my opponent was attacking, and it was where I had a multitude of places to hide the bombers due to the large number of airfields)

They stopped those "tank only 300 mile penetrations" from the coast to the interior of Oz.

I have told him, and can definitively state, that you MUST fly cap against them to stop them.  You can not ignore them.  You have to stick those fighters up there.

The reason is... if I put my B-17's on 30% rest at heights above 15k (10k is there is little AA at the target) , I can pretty much run them day-in-day out.  When I compare my daily/weekly losses against what production puts into my ac pools, I find that my pools increase. 

If you fly cap, I find that even though you may not shoot down the ac "in combat", you damage the planes enough that you still lose aircraft.

Check this out... Click on the "planes" tab on the air group's screen, it'll show you 'how damaged' your aircraft are. RUn a few missions against a capped target, and then a no capped target.  Figure 40-80 4E's vs anywhere from 36-72 Fighters (zeros, tojos).  Compare the general damage levels of all the 4E when flying against no cap, vs. flying against cap. 

An allied player can't sustain daily attacks by 4E's against capped bases, but can against no capped bases. when those 4E's are one of the few effective weapons the allies have.....

....at least, up until the late third quarter of '42 when they are needed most.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 2/17/2011 8:28:21 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 11
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/17/2011 7:03:35 PM   
offenseman

quote:

Answering with "yes" would be like requesting a KB raid, correct?

Not necessarily. There is another weird idea I have that I might try.

Sorry for the hijack...

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 12
RE: When did your 42 offensive stop ! - 2/21/2011 2:21:29 PM   
d0mbo

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

OK so when does the ( your ) Jap amchine run out of steam

I March 42 ( PBEM SCN 2 ) I am already facing a lot of B17 and they are making me more cautious.

cav

A true Japanese never stops his offensive.

(in reply to Cavalry Corp)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> When did your 42 offensive stop ! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI