Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Waiting to buy and future patches

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Waiting to buy and future patches Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/9/2011 9:25:25 PM   
entwood

I am sure there are others like myself

There are 2 reasons to not buy a desired game when first released;
A) Wait for patches which are almost always going to happen (at least a few times depending on game and company)
B) Price comes down (not expecting here)
In both cases, the customer benefits except for having to wait.

I almost clicked buy a few times in the last few days but I see a lot of 'stuff'; Winter '41 and other that is making me still hesitate. Is there any news about content and estimate of when a new patch will happen? If the next patch is big stuff and soon I would wait. If it will be 6 months wait then maybe buy now and just live with issues and have a bit of fun.

< Message edited by entwood -- 3/9/2011 9:29:49 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/9/2011 9:29:19 PM   
2ndACR

Not sure about time frame, but I would buy now. It is stable and fun as heck, even with the issues.

So my advice, buy now.

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 2
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/9/2011 9:33:23 PM   
Klydon

There is a bit of a learning curve to the game and blizzard issues aside, that curve will have to be conquered at some point. You can get going on that and be familiar with the game (and have a blast at it) by the time the next major version comes out. 

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/9/2011 9:52:04 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Not sure about time frame, but I would buy now. It is stable and fun as heck, even with the issues.

So my advice, buy now.

Ditto, +1

Really, I'm having a blast of a time with the smaller scenarios.
My advice too, go have some fun, buy now.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 4
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/9/2011 9:57:18 PM   
Angelo

quote:

ORIGINAL: entwood

A) Wait for patches which are almost always going to happen (at least a few times depending on game and company)

I almost clicked buy a few times in the last few days but I see a lot of 'stuff'; Winter '41 and other that is making me still hesitate. Is there any news about content and estimate of when a new patch will happen? If the next patch is big stuff and soon I would wait. If it will be 6 months wait then maybe buy now and just live with issues and have a bit of fun.

Well, I see no reason for not buying it and lots of reasons for getting it.

It's one of those games where you love it, with all the warts, or you never will.

Great game really!

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 5
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/9/2011 10:20:07 PM   
Joel Billings

I can't give you a time frame on the next patch. Now that 1.03 has become the official patch we are working on 1.04. In 1.04 we expect to work on the 1st winter balance. This is important for the long campaign, but not important at all for the many short scenarios and the campaigns that start in 42 or later. There's plenty of gameplay to learn and fun to be had with the 1.03 version. As some have said, there is a learning curve to the game, so probably by the time you get through that and are ready for the long campaign, the 1.04 will be available. Of course if that's the only scenario you plan on playing than there's more reason to wait, but even then there's plenty to learn in playing it with 1.03. The game will develop over time and should continue to improve, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it now.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 6
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/9/2011 10:22:24 PM   
fbs

quote:

Don't worry, entwood, this is a safe bet. The game is very, very stable, incredibly detailed, plays very nicely and everybody here is super helpful.

It so happens that, for example, if the game has a device "77mm HV Gun" as the weapon for the Comet, someone is going to create a fuss that "What the heck! Everybody knows that is a 76.2mm gun, not 77mm!!", and then someone else will argue that "Too continental! This is a really a 3-inch gun!", "Un-historical!! That is just the 17-pdr gun, so it should be called that way!!"... and by now we're at page 5 of brawling, when someone else jumps in... "This game is **BROKEN**!! This should be called Short 17-pdr with 3-inch 20cwt AA projectiles", and it goes on and on and on...

It's quite funny to watch these guys spar some arcane bit of military information, and the amount of arguing gives the impression that someone is having a cow because everything is broken, but trust me, the game is very good.

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 7
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/9/2011 10:24:18 PM   
Garth Vader

I often wait to buy a game but bought this one early and haven't been dissappointed. There is enough content and learning curve to keep you busy for a long time before worrying about patches.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 8
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 2:27:43 AM   
Rosseau

Based on my experience, there is no reason to wait to buy this game, assuming the price is not a burden.

These days, you should wait for most games--I wish I had with quite a few--but this one is here to stay and you will want a head start learning it. As an example, I spent two months just with the scenario editor and two or three smaller scenarios. Playing almost daily. I say, treat yourself, life is relatively short.

(in reply to Garth Vader)
Post #: 9
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 2:29:02 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

quote:

There is a learning curve with WITE. Game is very enjoyable in it's current state, but even if you insist on waiting for some patch you can use the time to learn the game better.

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 10
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 3:32:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

Um..........maybe some prespective from a relative newby to WITE?  I just obtained WITE as a birthday present last Saturday and it's Thursday now so that's about six days of exposure to the game and I have to say I'm blown away.  One of the first things I did was to move the intro movies into a folder somewhere so I never have to hit the space bar multiple times to avoid seeing the intro movies again and again etc.  Also, I turned the volume on the music to "0" because it actually starts to grate on your nerves after about the 30th rendition of the same music.  [ note to developer:  maybe some different music scores to vary the background sound(s) ].  Then I read the manual cover to cover in about 2 hours and then started up the tutorial scenario to start pushing units around and that raised more questions I needed to look up in the manual ( or ask someone on the forum ).  I'm starting to feel comfortable with my level of understanding though so it's starting to be more and more fun.  The sound effects are outstanding, the game interface is great, the level of detail will astound the average person.  It's as though they thought of just about everything that can happen in 1941 -> 1945 warfare.  I noticed the lack of bridges that can be dropped in the river to stop advances but that will no doubt be in a future version.  [ developer:  bridges, hint, hint ].   I especially like the ability to fly supplies / fuel by air to the units that need it, something sorely lacking in TOAW.  I started war gaming back when it was still cardboard and this game gives me the same "feel" I had then.  It's really a great game IMHO.  I'll be playing this the rest of my life.  Probably.        

(in reply to Oleg Mastruko)
Post #: 11
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 4:10:53 AM   
abulbulian

I suggested buying now as you will not regret it. Worth every penny and more. I've been playing board and computer war games for many many year and what has been accomplished in WitE is second to none. IMO makes HOI series look like crap... well Paradox made HOI look like crap too.
I'll never forgive Paradox for putting me through what they did with original HOI. The devs and testers for WitE have always been quick to make changes when needed and put out an excellent product from day. I've been purchasing games from Gary and Joel from back in their SSI days. Also, good stuff! Sure some play balancing issues have come up in WitE, but in a game as complex and detailed as WitE that was somewhat expected.

Buying now will give you the opportunity to learn the game and some of it's many hidden UI gems. Even starting a campaign for 41-45 won't be a problem as future patches for blizzard will be out before you reach those turns anyways. If you happen to get that far, can just pause your game for a bit as I know the turn around for patches in WitE is weeks rather than months.

So buy it and enjoy what the entire WitE community already has been for a while now!

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 12
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 4:12:31 AM   
bwheatley

The game is worth the buy. Play the road to scenarios by the time you are done that you will be set when the winter patch comes out.

It's worth the money.

-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 13
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 4:16:20 AM   
JAMiAM

Hey! You're behind the learning curve already! By it now! Buy it yesterday!!!

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 14
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 4:34:11 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

I held off purchasing this game for about 2 hours. I am glad I waited. (I was at work and I could not play there, had I bought it then it would have harmed my productivity)

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 15
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 4:41:37 AM   
entwood

Thanks for the replies.

I am only still 'afraid' of development support diminishing and stopping before the game is 'just right' as much as possible.  I would hate to see that happen and a year from now it is 'dead', and the customers are ultimately disappointed and stuck with issues.  This is not to diminish the game as it stands now but I sense important improvements and 'fixes' are still needed.

I generally have become more careful with my game purchases and this game is also relatively expensive.  I tend to assume, from past experience with some other games, that development will halt prematurely, in the majority of player sentiment, and development effort goes on to new games for 'economic' reasons.

In a nutshell, are there reasonable assurances that this game will be supported and get important updates until it is 'fine'?, again, as much as possible without futile endless waiting or wishful thinking.  This, in some ways, may sound demanding, but if relatively good and timely support will be the case, then I am sold, for my own enjoyment and to support this company and it's games.

I am not at all adverse to playing with Beta's and mods should they be available.

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 16
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 5:35:32 AM   
Senno

The next game(s) in the series are under development. I believe that is War in the West, and I'm drawing a blank on the third, sorry. Anyway, I believe the untimate plan is to be able to play them all as 1 mega-campaign. That's a ways off, for certain. But it's exciting, and a dream for many wargamers.

Given Gary Grigsby's long body of work and support, I believe that this dev team is as trustworthy as the best dev houses are. He has proven it over 30 years or so.

It's a fun game, and the community is very helpful and kind, as well.

So, I do believe you will be very happy with the purchase.

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 17
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 5:43:46 AM   
2ndACR

This is Matrix Games and 2by3 we are talking about. I don't think I have purchased a game from any other game companies since I joined.

Look at War in the Pacific, been out for years now and still has active support.

We get to talk to the Devs here all the time (well Joel anyway). I cannot convince you totally, but the only 2by3 game I don't have was World at War. I have all the others. I have 18 Matrix titles total.

Sometimes you have to trust some and now is the time, support will be here for a long time.

And yes, they are planning a War in the West and hope to be able to link it to War in the East. (I am drooling)

(in reply to Senno)
Post #: 18
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 6:08:01 AM   
bcgames

I bought it, played it, and modded it, and would advise those with a serious interest in the Eastern Front to do the same. Worth every penny--on day one and right now.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 19
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 11:19:09 AM   
Adnan Meshuggi

quote:

Well, i have NOT paid the money untill now, exactly because i fear the game handles historical results in a problematic way (russians have to be better as historical in a human to human game, so no chance for the axis side)

I wait for the patches to solve this problem - normaly i had bought the game in the first few minutes.
I have hopes that they solve this problem one or another way, but in the moment i wait.
Because even another year of waiting is no real problem :)

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 20
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 12:37:43 PM   
SuluSea

Heck man, the road to scenarios are a blast. I'm with the buy it now crowd so when the first winter fix patch comes out you'll be able to dive right in.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Adnan Meshuggi)
Post #: 21
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 1:21:10 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

I generally have become more careful with my game purchases and this game is also relatively expensive.  I tend to assume, from past experience with some other games, that development will halt prematurely, in the majority of player sentiment, and development effort goes on to new games for 'economic' reasons.

I think you are right but this game is not a normal game, WitE will be another milestone of the history of pc wargame.
About your development concern I would say that WitP AE forum is a good guarantee

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 22
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 2:57:04 PM   
Commanderski

Don't buy it!..You won't have any free time left. You'll complain to your boss at work that the Commanders Report is missing and they won't understand...

Actually you should buy it as soon as you can afford it. This is the first Matrix game I bought and won't be the last. WITE is a fantastic game with lot's of options on the battlefield, even with the few problems they have.

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 23
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 3:21:40 PM   
marty_01

If the kids are starving and you can’t afford shoes for um'...than I'd say you have better things to throw money at. But if you like operational level Eastern Front wargames and have $80 or $90 worth of disposable income, than I'd go ahead and take the plunge. From what I've seen thus far, it’s a great game...good fun.

< Message edited by marty_01 -- 3/10/2011 3:22:55 PM >

(in reply to Commanderski)
Post #: 24
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/10/2011 5:08:20 PM   
WilliePete

quote:

I understand how you feel as it is a bit of an investment because of the high price tag. However, you are doing yourself a disservice by waiting. Winter 41' is not a game breaker, especially if you are playing against the AI. You can also skip it entirely by playing from the 1942 scenario on. I spend hours, even days sometimes just planning certain turns. I also get lost checking things like my OOBs, production, and commanders reports. The game is so massive that there are all kinds of things to do and check that you will never get bored. If this is your type of game, then you are wasting game time and will kick youself whenever you do get it because you waited too long on the fence!

- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 25
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/11/2011 12:44:35 AM   
Wild

This game is already a masterpiece, and will get even better. BUY!!!

(in reply to WilliePete)
Post #: 26
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/11/2011 1:07:54 AM   
freeboy

As someone who has been involved with the devs as a tester and a player, and own numerous matrix titles... Gary G games never ever seem to stop developing..! Especially the larger ones...
This game is a finished product that either player can win in a 2 player game.. lots of adjustable parts... editor..
and its HUGE!
So, what exactly are yo looking for? If it is an emersive game with a ton of replay in this time frame this is a winner.. again.. it is not for those who want to play a game in under 10 hours! lol

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 27
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/11/2011 2:59:18 AM   
entwood

I liked the fast beta's coming out; now has slowed down; either the game requires less changes now (logical) or more time is needed for tougher issues to fix (concern) ...I was hoping for a new Beta soon....You see, if I am going to take hours a turn or major time playing...as a previous poster said, I would like less issues in the game to make that time investment the most worthwhile, but yes I can see buying now to get to that learning curve.

V1.03 Beta 6 – February 20, 2011
V1.03 Beta 5 – February 14, 2011
V1.03 Beta 4 – February 11, 2011
V1.03 Beta 3 – February 7, 2011
V1.03 Beta 2 – January 21, 2011
V1.03 Beta 1 – January 12, 2011

I love war-games.  I am an old board war-gamer; back to the old Avalon Hill and SPI days (even won a tournament at a convention; lol), then the Atomic PC Games (Crusader, Stalingrad); plus Total War stuff.

I am getting tired of myself being pusillanimous. What are people buying anyway? the just-download edition or it might be nice to get the boxed edition for 10 more?

< Message edited by entwood -- 3/11/2011 3:30:43 AM >

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/11/2011 4:14:29 AM   
Joel Billings

The betas have slowed because we want to make a change for first winter before we release the next beta, and we needed to fix a few bugs before we could get there. Then we have to allow at least a little testing before release. We think we've got the bugs fixed that we needed, so we are now discussing what winter changes to make this weekend. Here's the list of changes we already have in for the next beta to show things are still moving forward:

V1.04 Beta 1
• New Features and Rule Changes
1. New Rule - Damaged equipment and manpower returned to the pool during the logistics phase is not available to be used as replacements until the next supply phase. This represents the lost time from the front of lightly wounded soldiers and damaged equipment.
2. New Rule - Units from different Luftflotte’s or Air Armies will not participate in the same air mission.
3. Rule Change – The amount of support units can get be increased by the level of fortification in the defending hex.
4. Rule Change - Introduced the concept of a commanding HQ for each side for each combat. Generally this commanding HQ is selected because it has the most CVs directly reporting to it in the battle. Units not reporting directly to the commanding HQ will suffer command battle modifiers that will reduce their CV for the battle. The battle report now lists the units in the battle grouped under the name of the HQ they report to. If an HQ’s units are suffering a command battle modifier, the amount of the CV reduction is shown next to the name of the HQ (for example XXIV Panzer Corps -36% indicates that each unit listed in this corps has had its CV reduced by 36%). The greater the number of HQ’s that the unit must trace through to reach the commanding HQ, the greater the modifier. In addition, units that report directly to a high command HQ suffer an additional 20% modifier, and those that report directly to an Army Group or Front suffer an additional 10% modifier (these are shown as part of the total modifier percentage displayed).
5. Multiplayer Change - Added 'Resign' option to the games list.
6. Multiplayer Change - Added 'Show Completed' and 'Show Resigned' buttons to the games screen to allow filtering of the game list
7. Multiplayer Change - Added 'hover' text to the games and challenges lists to display additional information about games.
8. Multiplayer Change – Now when an attempt to save the game fails, the user will be informed of this event and given the opportunity to try again.
9. Formula Changes - Reduced the effectiveness of interdiction in terms of casualties caused. Increased the chance that interdiction will cause movement point reduction to the interdicted unit.
10. Formula Change - Decreased the morale reduction for air groups.
11. Formula Change - Air strikes are more fragmented now depending on experience and leader checks.
12. Formula Change – Reduced the amount of planes flying recon interception missions.
13. Formula Change - Artillery (ART,MORT,ROCKET,AT) support units have priority to be committed into a battle.
14. Interface Change - Added AA units directly attached to cities to the OOB display.
15. Interface Change – Added turn, date and location information to the battle reports.
16. Interface Change - Units that are already assigned to an HQ will not appear on that HQ’s list on the Pick Support Unit Window when the Assign/Form button has been selected.
17. New Message - Added a message to the event log when an empty unit is disbanded.
18. New Editor Feature - Added COPY/CLEAR functions to the TOE(OB) editor.

• Bug Fixes
1. Fixed a bug causing incorrect numbers being shown in the number of men moving to and from the pool in the Event Log.
2. Fixed a bug causing some withdrawing units to incorrectly place their equipment and manpower in the pool.
3. Fixed a bug where Axis units could ignore the TOE% settings during the first winter.
4. Fixed a bug in the truck loss routine that was adding manpower to the pool when trucks were damaged.
5. Made sure that the CR and OOB screen numbers agree. There were some discrepancies that could cause the two to disagree.
6. Fixed bugs that caused the AI to sometimes move support units to off-map/delayed HQs and “inactive” support units to on map HQs.
7. Fixed a bug that caused units moving by naval transport to get stuck in a water hex when it was interdicted.
8. Fixed a bug in which small factories could report different amount of equipment built than those that actually went to the pool.
9. Fixed combat so odds may no longer be shown as 0:0.
10. Fixed a bug that could cause routed tank divisions to not correctly transform to delayed tank brigades.
11. Fixed a problem in which the disband routine was not bringing some damaged equipment back to the pool.
12. Fixed a bug where inactive support units were passing through the upgrade/swap ground types procedure, placing and taking equipment to/from the pool.
13. Fixed a bug where the number of partisan cadres formed was incorrect.
14. Fixed a bug that was causing ports to be repaired too quickly.
15. Fixed a bug in the path tracing that could prevent defending units to receive support units help in a battle.
16. Fixed a bug that caused a unit to not be able to trace a movement path through a hex with 3 friendly units.
17. Fixed a bug where a guards unit was created with the same name as that of an existing guards unit.
18. Fixed a bug causing manpower loss/gain when escaped squads convert to partisans.
19. Fixed a bug in the Set All Unit MPs function in the editor that doesn't set MP for the Axis units correctly on June 22 1941.
20. Fixed Motorcycles Squads so they are set to infantry class instead of artillery class.
21. Fixed Heavy Infantry Guns so they are set to artillery class instead of infantry class.
22. Fixed a bug where Artillery Regiments had the option to assign another support unit to them, something that should never happen.
23. Fixed a bug where damaged elements were not having their manpower sent to the pool when due to an OB change the elements were no longer needed (the manpower was just being lost).
24. Fixed a bug where elements that were being exchanged due to a TOE change or upgrade were not properly accounting for the difference in manpower between the old and new elements.
25. Fixed a bug that could cause inaccurate record keeping of manpower lost from retreat attrition.
26. Fixed a bug that could prevent a totally empty Soviet or German unit removed from the map from being brought back on the map to be rebuilt.
27. Fixed a bug where ground elements which had an upgrade path set to 0 (instead of to themselves) could have some of their elements incorrectly sent back to the pool.

• Data and Scenario Changes
1. Small adjustments of Heavy Panzer Battalions for correct OBs for arrival dates
2. Moved the 653rd and 654th Heavy Panzerjager Battalions arrival date to 3 Jun 43
3. Changed the Soviet 1st BAK Commander to Izotov in all 1941 scenarios
4. Adjusted Operation Blue's Victory Points to make a German decisive victory a little easier. Stalingrad is now worth 300 VPs to the Germans at the end of the scenario (was 200). Soviet VPs for Baku is now worth 200 (was 300).
5. Fixed Soviet overstack in 1943 Campaign at 85,24
6. Ernst Leyser put as commander of XXVI Corps in 1943 Campaign
7. Ran SET ALL CITY SUPPLY REQUIREMENTS in all non-campaign scenarios
8. Updated leader file with corrections to German names

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 29
RE: Waiting to buy and future patches - 3/11/2011 5:07:56 AM   
LST Express

Matrix has saved me a ton of money since 2005. I own AE and WITE and haven't bought a game from another company since 2007. I trust Matrix, enjoy the games and appreciate the support. Buy the game and enjoy it and this great community!

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Waiting to buy and future patches Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI