Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Poll: OMG, they killed Mago!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/21/2010 10:28:10 AM   
hondo1375

I've noticed that Mago seems to die in every game I play whether I win or lose, and I wanted to poll people about their experience. Since I can't do a proper poll here, here is my informal one:

"Which statement best describes your experience of Mago's fate in the game:

A. I have Mago sieging a city with one Gaul infantry with Hannibal in the field providing cover, but through my misunderstanding the sally/interception/[insert your choice] rule the Romans kill Mago;
B. I leave Mago in a city far out of the way of the action to conduct recruitment, but a Roman army appears from nowhere and kills Mago;
C. I am on the verge of winning, Rome is under siege, and Mago is sunning himself with the garrison in North Africa, but a Roman army appears from nowhere and kills Mago;
D. I am on the verge of winning, Rome is under siege, and Mago is carousing in Gaul, but a Roman army appears from nowhere and kills Mago;
E. Mago never dies in my games, and also wins far more battles than his show-pony brother Hannibal with less resources (possible bug).

< Message edited by hondo1375 -- 11/21/2010 11:15:55 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/21/2010 2:24:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

My favorite post of the day.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to hondo1375)
Post #: 2
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/21/2010 2:29:07 PM   
SteveD64

Haha!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/21/2010 2:42:17 PM   
PJJ

Mago usually stays with Hannibal in my games. I don't think I've ever lost him, but I've never won any battles with him either. Has anybody ever got him promoted? Does he improve more than one point?

In the right conditions with proper tactics and a bit of luck I've managed to win some battles even with rank 5 generals. Hanno for example gets promoted to 7, making him quite useful after that.

Though I remember when I once left Spain to unpromoted Hanno and his small army and marched a promoted Hasdrubal into Italy. Well, the next turn Mr. Africanus invaded Spain. Need I say more? It's good you can execute those failed generals.

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be ****ted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

(in reply to SteveD64)
Post #: 4
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/21/2010 3:49:52 PM   
hondo1375

I've only ever won one battle with Mago (he died the next turn). Here is a screen grab of him in his promoted state:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to PJJ)
Post #: 5
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/21/2010 5:48:37 PM   
NefariousKoel

(in reply to hondo1375)
Post #: 6
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/21/2010 8:26:48 PM   
Johnus

In Pride of Carthage (David Anthony Durham, great novel btw) Mago is made out to be a very formidable person. Hannibal's youngest brother and new to war, to be sure, but very smart and able, to say the least. In game terms, more than a 4. I guess the 4 is the historical consensus? He pretty much survives in my games because I don't trust him with too much.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 7
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/21/2010 8:58:14 PM   
PJJ

Historically speaking, Mago didn't achieve much on the battlefield as a high-ranking commander, so that's where the low rating comes from. Probably he wasn't much worse than the majority of other Carthaginian generals of the period, and who knows how smart and capable he was as a human being and a subordinate. The sources don't tell much, and it must be remembered that practically nothing survives from the Punic side of the conflict.

All Carthaginian generals pale in comparison with Hannibal, who is one of the great commanders of history. The Roman system produced many pretty dismal generals during the Punic Wars, but overall they had more able commanders than Carthage.

@hondo1375:

Okay, now I see I've made a serious mistake in not getting Mago promoted.

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be ****ted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 8
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/22/2010 2:07:04 PM   
Norden_slith

I lost him several times already, in ways similar to the OP.
He did win a battle once and I think he got a "6" rating for his efforts.
Anyway, his replacement are usually better then him (I remember Hamilcar "6" - unpromoted ofc).

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged

(in reply to PJJ)
Post #: 9
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 11/26/2010 9:25:32 AM   
gollummen

Strange...

I usually find good use for Mago in my games.
When I cross the Alpes from Gaul I leave Mago in Gaul to recruit troops. Then when Hannibal moves further south I move Mago to Northern Italy to defend the region and recruit the last gauls. Somtimes he gets into a brawl, but that is often against another low level commander.
Just last night I got him promoted to a nice level 7 commander.
BTW I play on the normal level (I have not dared the hard level yet).

(in reply to Norden_slith)
Post #: 10
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 12/9/2010 10:44:35 PM   
Drakkon

quote:

ORIGINAL: gollummen

Strange...

I usually find good use for Mago in my games.
When I cross the Alpes from Gaul I leave Mago in Gaul to recruit troops. Then when Hannibal moves further south I move Mago to Northern Italy to defend the region and recruit the last gauls. Somtimes he gets into a brawl, but that is often against another low level commander.

I do exactly the same thing. Mago's best use is recruitment officer for the Gauls.

(in reply to gollummen)
Post #: 11
RE: Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! - 3/15/2011 2:38:15 AM   
Orm

I almost picket alternative E since I've won a couple of times with Mago. But in the end I had to pick alternative F.

I doubt he had won more battles than Hannibal but he may actually be close. The dastardly Romans refuse to battle Hannibal so he hasn't won as many battles as I would like. And I refuse to attack their camp.

F) Mago has recruited alot of Gauls and proudly marches his army to fight the Romans only to find out that his army has celebrated the victory in advance and are so drunk that the Romans wins without a fight and Mago gets killed.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to hondo1375)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Poll: OMG, they killed Mago! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI