Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Comtemplating AE from WITP..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Comtemplating AE from WITP.. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/23/2011 6:43:26 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi all,

I have been on the fence for some time about purchasing AE. I got WITP when it first came out and played the smaller scenarios but I never had the time to try and tackle to campaign.

The reality I am faced with is that due to family and job demands, I will rarely have time for the smaller scenarios and due to travel will nearly always have to play against the AI.

Are their more small scenarios and battles in AE? Has the AI improved to the point that it is a decent challenge so long as you don't demand too much?

I love the depth, the micro management, etc. I have also been looking at WITE, because I have been a long time TOAW player.

But WITP AE is a major re-investment and I am trying to figure out if I will be able to get more out of it than I did WITP.

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Post #: 1
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/23/2011 6:48:10 PM   
jeffk3510

IMHO I think I get more out of AE by far than I ever did with WITP. I was on the fence at one point and said what the hell. I take it with me when I travel and it works out fine. I just play when the timing is right..... wife, kid, job, golf, beer, golf, beer... ya know

Also- I think the AI is a fine challenge. I too do not have time for PBEM

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 2
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/23/2011 7:10:24 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Thanks for the reply.

The one problem I have with travel is that our work laptops are locked-down with no administrator access. This means that the vast majority of more recent games will not run on my laptop and none of the Matrix Games that I have looked to will because what I would effectively have to do is install the game on my desktop using the license code, then copy the install directory to my laptop and then uninstall the desktop copy to hold with the license.

But, for instance, when I tried to make this work with John Tillers's series the game will not run because some vital something is missing that it needs.

So I can only play Matrix titles when I am home, and have the free time after job and family to do so.

However, many older games will and do work following the above and so I still have options...

Do you play the larger campaigns? I have always found it so disruptive if I can't get back tot he game for 3+ days to remember what was going on and what I was planning to do.

< Message edited by Major SNAFU -- 3/23/2011 7:12:58 PM >

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

One ping to link them;

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 3
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/23/2011 7:41:30 PM   
Misconduct

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU

Thanks for the reply.

The one problem I have with travel is that our work laptops are locked-down with no administrator access. This means that the vast majority of more recent games will not run on my laptop and none of the Matrix Games that I have looked to will because what I would effectively have to do is install the game on my desktop using the license code, then copy the install directory to my laptop and then uninstall the desktop copy to hold with the license.

But, for instance, when I tried to make this work with John Tillers's series the game will not run because some vital something is missing that it needs.

So I can only play Matrix titles when I am home, and have the free time after job and family to do so.

However, many older games will and do work following the above and so I still have options...

Do you play the larger campaigns? I have always found it so disruptive if I can't get back tot he game for 3+ days to remember what was going on and what I was planning to do.

Its pretty disruptive, and believe me I can vouch how pain in the ass it can be to leave for few days and come back (I run boat trips down to Bahamas/south america). What you can do however and this is my opinion on how I play without the disruptions, I document while I play, for example I do 2-3 turns then when I know I might not play I write down for example "TF 128 to Mortari, TF 58 to etc" I generally pick the most important items like carriers, or Task forces, or I write down "Kendari taken, need supplies".

Basically its like an AAR except its on a very sticky notepad scale, although you do miss some things, however it does minimize forgetting the majority of what you were doing the turn before.

Right now my Sticky notes for my 4th PBEM looks like this ->

1/18/42 - PBEM #4 with ChrisZ
Moulmein Captured, Aviation Units and Engineers needed
Tavoy needs supplies from TF 156
Singapore is under bombardment attacks, 2 subs in the area - Sing has no supplies
TF 56/58 Is landing at Oosthaven with 4 CVL's from TF 3 to CAP
Balikpapan captured, 1 div attacking Samarinda
Makassar's Amphib is at Davao, waiting on Engineers from Fusan
Moresby Captured, nothing needed to maintain
Shortlands needs engineers from Fusan
Fusan 498PP available for engineers, aviation units
China - Anyang captured by allies, 2 divisions enroute from Tsingta, Chengch under bombardment, needs AF bombed

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

Post #: 4
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/23/2011 9:08:05 PM   
CaptDave

Most of my playing time has also been against the AI, although right now I'm an a PBEM game against an opponent who also has a life outside AE.  I think you'll find the AI in this version is much better than the one in WitP, especially when you're playing a scenario where it has a large number of scripts available.

Another thing you can consider is to play a longer scenario, but set your own victory conditions based on an early finish.  Just because the game doesn't recognize that you've won doesn't mean you haven't!

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 5
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/24/2011 7:37:11 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Major SNAFU -

Misconduct's approach is very similar to mine. My current game, as the Allies, is a PBEM Grand Campaign. I am only able to play on weekends, due to Real Life. With my detailed, micromanagement style of play, this currently translates into about one turn a weekend (eventually it will be faster as things are set up and in motion). I keep notes with MS Word - and have no problem picking up where I left off, when Life Begins, on Friday Night. The fact that I spend time thinking and mentally planing my next move while working thru the week also helps. <grin>

None of this bothers me, as I enjoy every minute of the time spent going over the map, carefully planning my Opponent's demise and "doing it right" (at least in the World According to Mac). I am very fortunate to have an Opponent who is patient - and is mentoring me along the way - even while he enthusiastically sinks my favorite ships. <sigh>

Hope that you take the plunge and buy AE; it is a quantum leap upward in comparison to WitP (which was good in it's own right when released). I still remember trying to download WitP by modem in 2004 - and lost the connection about half way thru. Those were the days..

Welcome to AE, Sir. You will never look back.

Mac

P,S. I am off this week because of Spring Break (I drive a School Bus). I sent my Opponent an extra turn last night; perhaps another one before Friday - we are really blazing along - very daring. Goodness only knows what all this will lead too...

LAV-25 2147

Post #: 6
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/24/2011 7:47:40 PM   
vettim89

quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Have you considered buying an optical drive? There are some people who play that do not have the game installed on there hard drive opting instead for an esternal optical drive. The price for one has come way down and you could put all the games you might want to play on one and just take it with you. Of course this assumes your netwrok security will allow access to the external drive

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 7
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/24/2011 11:00:19 PM   
mg62

I switched to AE very soon after it came out.  I only play as Allies against the AI.  I found the AI in AE to be better and more challenging.  I'm in a similar situation with time to spend on the game.  I also like the additional details that have been added to the game. 

I go through spurts where I have time during the week, but mostly play on the weekends.  I have my own sheets that I use to track the turns and important happenings; also keep written records for larger invasion operations.

I prefer the longer campaign games.  I'm around summer 43 and moving along.  I am very satisfied with investment to go to AE from WitP. 

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 8
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/24/2011 11:57:42 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

However, many older games will and do work following the above and so I still have options ...

UV is a smaller, older version of WitP.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

Post #: 9
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/25/2011 2:19:47 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Have you considered buying an optical drive? There are some people who play that do not have the game installed on there hard drive opting instead for an esternal optical drive. The price for one has come way down and you could put all the games you might want to play on one and just take it with you. Of course this assumes your netwrok security will allow access to the external drive

Interesting idea. I will think more about this. Thanks.

One ping to link them;

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 10
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/25/2011 2:35:16 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting idea. I will think more about this. Thanks.

Depending upon the security, this may not work. To run AE, you have to install it. It needs to change/add to some registers in Windows. My business laptop has high security on it and won't allow registers to be changed, hence no AE irrespective of the drive.

Can't tell you if it will work for you or not, just sharing my experience here. Hope it does. My solution is rather painful ...

Pax

Post #: 11
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/25/2011 2:46:51 PM   
Dobey455

A point about smaller scenarios, The game does not ship with too many smaller scenarios (I think 4 or 5), however several very interesting small scenarios have been created and are available from the "Scenarios and Modding" sub forum. Most are done by members of the original design team and are of the same quality as those scenarios that shipped with the game at release.

( I have had my copy of AE for a while, so not sure if any of these scenarios are now included in the official version.)

< Message edited by Dobey -- 3/26/2011 1:44:29 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Comtemplating AE from WITP.. - 3/25/2011 5:43:09 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Thanks to all. I purchased the game. Looking forward to it.

Has anyone made a Midway scenario? I know that this was much discussed for WITP.

I will look for some of the other smaller scenarios as well.

Regards,

One ping to link them;

(in reply to Dobey455)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Comtemplating AE from WITP.. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI