Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Will this work?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Will this work? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will this work? - 3/16/2011 11:08:56 PM   
Richrd

I have made many changes to the database, adding several security and police units that were historically available, including the EinsatzGruppen, who, if not murdering helpless civilians, are good regimental sized security forces. Every man counts. (For the Axis in this game it should be a manpower war. If it is or not I haven't discovered) Also I've added in the Hiwis as support, along with many other goodies. Because of these changes I never installed any patches after the first, which erased all my work. If I export to CSV, then install all the patches, and then bring back all the CSV stuff will it be just as it was before I installed the patches, with all my work still in place?

Richrd
Post #: 1
RE: Will this work? - 3/17/2011 5:20:19 AM   
alaric318

best greetings, i sorry to dont being capable of do a right answer, but please take in mind a big issue with what you are doing, i mean, it will work, but you will get rid of all support, enhancements of the patches to the CSV tables and files, in example, some patch make one extra slot for an extra tank/armor soviet guard unit, if you copy your CSV file over the stock, simply that unit will not be available, it can shatter the game balance and the purpose of the changes on the patches supplied from matrix, it is what i was wanting to give advice,

have my best regards,

Murat30/Alarick.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 2
RE: Will this work? - 3/17/2011 10:26:06 AM   
Richrd

Thanks. i tried it and, at first glance, something bad has happened.

Richrd

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 3
RE: Will this work? - 3/17/2011 10:42:21 AM   
RedLancer

What does work is this:

1. Always add your new generic data in a block of blank slots.
2. I export to CSV and using MS Excel save those specific slots as a separate file.
3. When the patches appear export the new files to CSV - paste your own data into the same/blank slots and reimport.
4. Voila! As your scenario file with your units won't have changed during the patching process then providing you always use the same generic data slots everything will be fine and you get the benefits of official generic data changes.
5. If you have used a stock scenario as a base then look at the change log - you may have to go back into your new scenario to adjust pool items that have changed to balance against hard code changes.

Happy to answer further questions if this is unclear.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Richrd)
Post #: 4
RE: Will this work? - 4/2/2011 2:57:05 AM   
Richrd

holy cow, that seems pretty complicated, though I'm glad to have the insights. What I've seen is that not everything is brought back. Sometimes I bring up something and import just that units or that TOE. But I've gotten everything back, even if a little at a time. After the next big patch I'll avoid everything except the comprehensive ones I think. I copied your info and am trying it out.

Richrd

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Will this work? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI