Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Questions for HQ placement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Questions for HQ placement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 12:19:24 AM   
mussey

Is it best to have Corp HQ's as close as possible to their divs? I understand the 5 hex range thing, but I guess what I don't understand yet is do the HQ's funnel supplies to their respective units and should be closer to their supply source and if so will they pass-through more supplies to their units this way? But if they are closer to their units will they give more combat effectiveness?

Usually I just stack them with one of their more central units.

Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Post #: 1
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 2:05:22 AM   
jomni

For combat, command die rolls have a range effect.  But with max Corps HQ range of 5, results won't be different if you're 1 hex or 5 hex away.
Not sure about supply though. I pay little attention to that aspect.

< Message edited by jomni -- 4/8/2011 2:08:37 AM >

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 3:25:53 AM   
squatter

Combat HQs dont suffer a range penalty for leader rolls, so as far as combat is concerned, doesnt matter where the HQ is other than within the five hex range.

Units draw supply directly from HQ (when they can), so the main consideration here is HQ proximity to rail head. I am not sure if distance from unit to HQ (within the 5 hex radius) makes further difference to the supply a unit receives.

Perhaps someone better informed can come in on that last point?

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 3:35:17 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

HQs that haven't moved can provide support to units in hasty attacls, iirc. When you know you might be getting into such the next turn, ending a turn with the HQ as close to the front as possible can help.

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 4:06:50 AM   
Mynok

As long as the HQ is in supply and in command range of subordinates, they'll get supply.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 5
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 5:37:48 PM   
mussey

"Units draw supply directly from HQ (when they can), so the main consideration here is HQ proximity to rail head."

That was my thinking too..... so in my first game I've been keeping them 4-5 hexes in back of their div.s, and closer to their supply source, thinking that it may (hopefully thinking) send more supplies to its units. But.....

"HQs that haven't moved can provide support to units in hasty attacls, iirc. When you know you might be getting into such the next turn, ending a turn with the HQ as close to the front as possible can help."

Would mean that there is a trade-off between maximum supplies or maximum combat support. If this is true, then it would make sense to me.

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 6
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 6:04:11 PM   
squatter

"Would mean that there is a trade-off between maximum supplies or maximum combat support. If this is true, then it would make sense to me."

Yes, that's exactly as I understand it.

The only unanswered question is whether the distance between the HQ and the unit affects the amount of supply delivered, or is it full regardless of 1 hex, or 5 hexes difference?

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 7
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 6:29:25 PM   
mussey

quote:

ORIGINAL: squatter

"Would mean that there is a trade-off between maximum supplies or maximum combat support. If this is true, then it would make sense to me."

Yes, that's exactly as I understand it.

The only unanswered question is whether the distance between the HQ and the unit affects the amount of supply delivered, or is it full regardless of 1 hex, or 5 hexes difference?

When I get home, I'm going to check this out. I jumped into my first CG with limited expectations. But I'm actually doing quite well (I think?) and am now ready for the finer details! On another note, I learned earlier that retreating enemy units will bump my unprotected HQ's, and then the following turn I couldn't figure out why the hell they were 15 hexes back!

Col. Mussbu

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 8
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 7:16:47 PM   
squatter

"On another note, I learned earlier that retreating enemy units will bump my unprotected HQ's, and then the following turn I couldn't figure out why the hell they were 15 hexes back! "

Yes, that's an awful rule, tantamount to a bug in my book and should be addressed.

(in reply to mussey)
Post #: 9
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 8:56:22 PM   
carnifex

I don't mind it, it's pretty realistic and it forces players to make a choice. I learned very quickly to keep two hexes between any enemy unit and the HQ or to stack the HQ with an actual combat unit.

I organized all the Romanian cavalry in one corps. It's only job is to plug ZOC holes and to protect HQs. The cav mobility makes them very useful that way. After everything moves I send them out to babysit any HQ that need it.

(in reply to squatter)
Post #: 10
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 9:06:04 PM   
LiquidSky

There is nothing realistic about retreating, surrendering enemy units from forcing a friendly HQ to flee 100 miles away, losing all its fuel/supply dumps in the process.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 11
RE: Questions for HQ placement - 4/8/2011 9:58:57 PM   
squatter

"it's pretty realistic"

Ahem, yes, care to give an example of when a fleeing Russian unit - as LiquidSky says - forced a German Corps HQ to uproot 100 miles, abandoning 100s of tons of supplies in the process?

(in reply to LiquidSky)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Questions for HQ placement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI