Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Movie "Flat Top"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Movie "Flat Top" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movie "Flat Top" - 4/9/2011 3:09:19 PM   
Buck Beach

Another Netflix film, made in 1952.

A looking back story of a fictional Corsair carrier fighter group. This group's combat action footage showed them flying Wildcats, a Bearcat, SBDs and TBDs, in addition to the Corsairs. Also, I think they showed every piece of action that was ever taken to the complete disregard to whether it fit the story or not. However what can I say, I liked the movie. I liked old Benny Aflac boy's "Pearl Harbor" also (as ridicules as that movie was).

Apart from obviously not being a film critic, there is something about war and western (that would be a "Cowboy") movies that automatically takes me back to that young boy sitting in the movie theater, seven rows back on the isle, cheering on the calvery. Sure can't tell I was born in 1942 can you?

Buck
Post #: 1
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/9/2011 3:37:46 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

A looking back story of a fictional Corsair carrier fighter group. This group's combat action footage showed them flying Wildcats, a Bearcat, SBDs and TBDs, in addition to the Corsairs. Also, I think they showed every piece of action that was ever taken to the complete disregard to whether it fit the story or not. However what can I say, I liked the movie. I liked old Benny Aflac boy's "Pearl Harbor" also (as ridicules as that movie was).

Apart from obviously not being a film critic, there is something about war and western (that would be a "Cowboy") movies that automatically takes me back to that young boy sitting in the movie theater, seven rows back on the isle, cheering on the calvery. Sure can't tell I was born in 1942 can you?

Buck

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. He mentioned the "Movie That Shall Not Be Mentioned". BAN HIM! BAN HIM! BAN HIM!

Seriously though, I remembering staying up late to watch "Task Force" which was on the Late, Late Show. Oh the titles are just flowing through my mind now: "Bataan", "Pridde of the Marines", "Fighting SeaBees", etc.

While a lot of them were propaganda films, still good stuff.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 2
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/9/2011 4:25:23 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

quote:

Buck

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. He mentioned the "Movie That Shall Not Be Mentioned". BAN HIM! BAN HIM! BAN HIM!

Seriously though, I remembering staying up late to watch "Task Force" which was on the Late, Late Show. Oh the titles are just flowing through my mind now: "Bataan", "Pridde of the Marines", "Fighting SeaBees", etc.

While a lot of them were propaganda films, still good stuff.

You have no idea how many times I have watched "God is my co-pilot" and "Gung-Ho".

"How did you like those apples Yank!" "Pretty sour Joe, pretty sour".

Buck

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/9/2011 7:29:25 PM   
Bearcat2

My favorite show on TV was Victory at Sea, I still remember when we got to watch it in color-green cellophane over the picture tube.

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 4
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/9/2011 7:33:08 PM   
ilovestrategy

Gung Ho. I remember that! Victory at Sea is awesome. I was lucky to get the full DVD set for five bucks. Best five dollars I ever spent.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 5
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/9/2011 10:21:22 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Gung Ho. I remember that! Victory at Sea is awesome. I was lucky to get the full DVD set for five bucks. Best five dollars I ever spent.

Try to get a hold of "Crusade in the Pacific". Twenty four 25 min episodes that are great. Available on Netlix as I previously report.

Buck

BTW I am not trying to promote NetFlix, but if you already have it you might want to check out all the great war documentaries that are available. There's a ton of them.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 6
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/10/2011 12:33:56 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

BTW I am not trying to promote NetFlix, but if you already have it you might want to check out all the great war documentaries that are available. There's a ton of them.

It's on our to-get list for this summer (marry a teacher!!!)

Q: Does the list include "The World At War" and/or the dual miniseries "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance"? The latter two I enjoyed a lot in earlier teimes, and have bits of on ancient VHS. Want to watch again with Herself, but would like to avoid buying the DVDs.

The Moose

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 7
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/10/2011 2:59:04 AM   
bilbow

Last night I watched the HBO production from a couple of years ago "Nanking". Got the DVD from Netflix. Tough to watch in places, had a lot of film clips made by European and American missionaries, with some well-known actors reading from the diaries of these folks. Also had some interviews with former Japanese soldiers, talking about what they did with rather matter-of-fact description. Very powerful documentary.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile- hoping it will eat him last
- Winston Churchill

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 8
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/10/2011 3:56:08 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

It's on our to-get list for this summer (marry a teacher!!!)

Q: Does the list include "The World At War" and/or the dual miniseries "Winds of War" and "War and Remembrance"? The latter two I enjoyed a lot in earlier teimes, and have bits of on ancient VHS. Want to watch again with Herself, but would like to avoid buying the DVDs.

quote:

War and Remembrance

They all are there, but a big however, World at War and War and Remembrance you must send for disc by disc. There are 11 disks for World at War. The are two volumes of 6 disks each of War and Remembrance. What this means is you must view one disk, return it to get another. Winds of War is on instant view which means you can get them on-line.

Buck

Post #: 9
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/10/2011 4:07:23 AM   
tocaff

I just finished watching Tora Tora Tora, again again again.  

The movie that shall not be named is on tomorrow along with Black Hawk Down and 2 others that I don't remember.  Strange TV programming for Brazil, a country that hasn't seen a war, except for a battalion in Italy in WW II, since the 1870s.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 10
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/10/2011 4:15:27 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

I just finished watching Tora Tora Tora, again again again.  

The movie that shall not be named is on tomorrow along with Black Hawk Down and 2 others that I don't remember.  Strange TV programming for Brazil, a country that hasn't seen a war, except for a battalion in Italy in WW II, since the 1870s.

If you are a big kid such as I, you may enjoy watching the "movie to remain unnamed" again.

Buck

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 11
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/10/2011 6:22:42 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

. Winds of War is on instant view which means you can get them on-line.

Buck

Thanks!

The Moose

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 12
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/10/2011 11:38:53 PM   
spence

quote:

Strange TV programming for Brazil, a country that hasn't seen a war, except for a battalion in Italy in WW II, since the 1870s.

I thought that Brazil had a division serving in Italy in 1944-45. Not familiar with it's record of service though. Alone amongst the South American countries, Brazil was annoyed enough by the Germans to declare war on them prior to the Soviets hoisting their flag on the Reichstag though.

My father served with the USN as a pilot flying out of Forteleza Brazil in 1945.

Post #: 13
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/11/2011 3:10:58 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Try to get a hold of "Crusade in the Pacific". Twenty four 25 min episodes that are great. Available on Netlix as I previously report.

Buck

Netflix is great. Especially the instant Netflix.... it is like 5 bucks a month and you can watch them instantly on your computer and have it show up on your tv :)

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 14
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/11/2011 3:44:45 PM   
Schanilec

'Victory at Sea' can be found for $9.95 in Military Issue Catalog. Or on thier website MilitaryIssue.com. And there are other good DVD's; I just recently bought another classic...'Guadalcanal Diary'.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 15
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/11/2011 3:55:22 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

'Victory at Sea' can be found for $9.95 in Military Issue Catalog. Or on thier website MilitaryIssue.com. And there are other good DVD's; I just recently bought another classic...'Guadalcanal Diary'.

So, is your weeping and garment-rending and knashing-of-hockey-teeth phase over?

The Moose

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 16
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/11/2011 4:27:11 PM   
Schanilec

Mr. Moose,

Mostly. Get 'em next year. Golf in a few weeks to tie us over. There is some solace in that Duluth won. I love all the Highway 2 hockey teams. Also watched Matt Frattin on Hockey Night in Canada play for the Leafs in his NHL debut. Dispite losing 4-1 to the Habs. Frattin had a good game with five shots on goal and 15 minutes ice time a few on the power play. See how he does next week on HNC.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

Post #: 17
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/11/2011 4:51:11 PM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I thought that Brazil had a division serving in Italy in 1944-45. Not familiar with it's record of service though.

I recall it being a Division also. Either we're both wrong..., or Todd has been smokin' dem funny cigarettes again...

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 18
RE: Movie "Flat Top" - 4/11/2011 11:31:31 PM   
jcjordan

Here's a source for those oldies but goodies - http://www.warshows.com/StoreFront.bok 

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Movie "Flat Top" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI