Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German TOE mods

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> German TOE mods Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German TOE mods - 5/1/2011 8:40:13 PM   
TAIL_GUNNER

Gonna give it a shot and take on the huge challenge of giving the German TOEs and OOB for the '41 GC some historical punch. Please note I'm not trying to show anyone up or anything...I just love researching this stuff! I spend more time in the editor than actually playing the game...

Here's what I've come up with for the German 1st and 2nd Wave Infantry Divisions based on Dr. Leo Niehorster's charts: (by this stage of the war, 1st and 2nd wave were nearly identical)
source: Wave 1 Infantry Division

There are two new Ground Elements: Bicycle Recon Squad and Infantry Cavalry Squad

Bicycle Recon Squads are part of the Recon Battalion and consist of 13 men armed with carbines and a LMG.
Source: KStN 353 dated 9/1/1939

Infantry Cavalry Squads are an infantry regimental asset and consist of 8 men on horseback armed with carbines. Only two squads per platoon.
Source: KStN 181 dated 9/1/1939

Unfortunately I have not been able to find the 2/1/1941 KStN for these two units...

Also I have not included the Pioneer platoons attached to each Infantry Regiment. I've read these units were used "as needed" and the men had basic engineer training but were taken from the regular infantry.

Much more to come...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TAIL_GUNNER -- 5/1/2011 8:41:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: German TOE mods - 5/1/2011 10:52:29 PM   
Redmarkus5

How does this affect the overall unit CV and will you be making changes to the Soviet TOEs as well?

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to TAIL_GUNNER)
Post #: 2
RE: German TOE mods - 5/2/2011 4:29:50 AM   
TAIL_GUNNER

No plans for the soviets....maybe in the far future if I ever finish the Germans.
Overall CV strength deviations for Infantry divisions will be minor for the most part. In the stock TOEs for example, all the bicycle recon squads are counted in with the rifle squads. All I'm doing is minor adjustments to differentiate the various components of a division based on historical manpower and weapon strengths.

But with that said, you'll notice the 3rd Wave Divisions take quite a hit especially in AT and medium mortars.
But to be honest, most of these divisions were on guard duty back in Europe when Barbarossa started. They were rushed to the East Front only after the disasterous winter of '41/'42. Before then, they may have been brought up to proper strength before redeploying...I'll have to do further research. But I have seen pictures of the 15cm sFH 37(t) in action against the Soviets.
While on the subject of artillery, I just noticed the German 15cm sFH18 has the wrong range listed in the editor...the range they use is for the sFH18M...which was a short-lived improvement due to it wearing out the barrel liners too quickly. Proper range should be about 14490 yards.

Here's what I got for the 3rd Wave. Notice the new Infantry Bicycle Squad which replaces the Infantry Cavalry Squad in the Wave 1 and 2 Divisions. Strength is 10 men with one SMG and nine carbines. Source is KStN 183 dated 2/1/1941.
Also new is the aforementioned 15cm 37(t) which equipped the IV. Artillery Abtielung.
(Support strengths are estimates for now.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 3
RE: German TOE mods - 5/2/2011 9:25:18 AM   
Redmarkus5

Great. Thanks for putting in the effort to mod this. I know it's a huge task.

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

Post #: 4
RE: German TOE mods - 5/6/2011 2:44:27 AM   
TAIL_GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Great. Thanks for putting in the effort to mod this. I know it's a huge task.

Thanks redmarkus, I hope to finish it one of these years...the scope is so vast and I'm one of those ridiculous down to the last detail types that wants to include everything...
I've decided that each and every Panzer Division will have it's own TOE and upgrade path...

With that being said, I just upgraded to the newest patch and wiped out my previous work....

Think I'll wait until 1.04 is official before continuing...

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 5
RE: German TOE mods - 5/8/2011 1:00:51 AM   
lycortas

a) are you doing all 17 or 18 waves?

and

b) I am updating Panzer, Panzer grenadier, some of the battalions etc TOEs to correct mistakes.
As an example i am fixing usage of the Pz IIIN and Flammpanzers.

Are you interested in combining these? In the future of course.

Mike

That's no moon, it's a space station!

Post #: 6
RE: German TOE mods - 5/9/2011 2:39:53 AM   
TAIL_GUNNER

quote:

ORIGINAL: lycortas

a) are you doing all 17 or 18 waves?

and

b) I am updating Panzer, Panzer grenadier, some of the battalions etc TOEs to correct mistakes.
As an example i am fixing usage of the Pz IIIN and Flammpanzers.

Are you interested in combining these? In the future of course.

Mike

a) There were actually 35 Waves, but I'm only gonna do the ones that apply to units on the Ost Front.

b) I appreciate the offer, but respectfully decline. I'm more of a 'lone-wolf' kind of guy..

(in reply to lycortas)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> German TOE mods Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI