Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Small Scenario Checklist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Small Scenario Checklist Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small Scenario Checklist - 4/21/2011 3:24:36 AM   
bcgames

Small Scenario Checklist.

1. Complete your historical research.
    a. What is the area of the game map is to be used?
    b. Given the chosen map area, what is the list of units that will be involved in the scenario?
        o What is the approximate strength and disposition of ground forces?
        o What is the approximate strength and disposition of air forces?
        o Who are the leaders?
        o What units arrive during the game as reinforcements? Where do they arrive and when?
    c. What are the weather conditions?
    d. Which player side should go first? Axis or Soviets?
    e. REMEMBER, all the data you need isn’t going to be available. You’re either going to have 
       to make some intelligent scientific wild-a** guesses or quit scenario writing while you still 
       believe there is still science in historical interpretation.

What am I missing for the historical research requirements portion of this checklist?

< Message edited by bcgames -- 4/24/2011 12:54:47 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Small Scenario Checklist - 4/21/2011 7:30:16 PM   
RedLancer

I think you are spot on - I'm working on an Operation Mars small scenario and have followed the same steps though maybe not in the same order - only difference has been I've had to upgrade from MS Excel 2002 in order to edit the units.csv file properly. I've found your Q&A to be invaluable as the manual leaves a little to be desired.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 2
RE: Small Scenario Checklist - 4/24/2011 12:59:27 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

I'm working on an Operation Mars small scenario and have followed the same steps though maybe not in the same order - only difference has been I've had to upgrade from MS Excel 2002 in order to edit the units.csv file properly.

Operation Mars is an excellent choice! I look forward to it. You are quite right too; the steps listed above can be accomplished in any order your research and/or fancy dictates. Getting the job done is all that counts here. Keep at it! I look forward to the results of your efforts.

v/r

BCG

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 3
RE: Small Scenario Checklist - 4/24/2011 1:05:12 AM   
bcgames

Part Two of the Small Scenario Checklist...

2. Create Scenario Description .txt file. Use a text editing program like Microsoft Notepad to construct this file. 
The scen.txt file can be no more than 29 lines in length. Currently there is no scroll capability for the scenario 
description box. So if you have 30 lines of text, you won't see line 30. Though you are free to use any format 
you like, this is the one currently used in WitE:

•	Scenario Name and dates the scenario begins and ends
    •	Historical Overview (3-4 lines of text)
    •	Scenario Overview (6-10 lines of text)
    •	Scenario Length
    •	Axis Admin Points per turn
    •	Soviet Admin Point per turn

To create this file for your scenario, it is probably best to open an existing scenario description file. Save it 
using your scenario name, and then edit it to suit your needs.  NOTE: When you save the scenario description (.txt) file, 
it must have exactly the same name as your scenario (.sce) file.

Here’s what the symbols mean in the .txt file. The double slashes // on the first line are there for any commenting 
you wish to make about the file. These comments are for you; they are not used—nor required—by the computer. 
To enter your scenario description text, you must use the following command:

ScenarioText(0," ")

Everything in your scenario description must be added in between the two quotation marks. Your text is wrapped 
automatically when the file is loaded so no need to worry about that. Use the ~ symbol to start a new line (carriage 
return). You can use several carriage return symbols in a row if you want more lines between the sections of your text.

Again the question, what am I missing from this list?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Small Scenario Checklist Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI