Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

More colorful galaxy map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> More colorful galaxy map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
More colorful galaxy map - 4/15/2011 9:50:36 PM   
Torgrim

One thing that might sounds kind of trivial to some is how the nebula in the game is showed, they are a grey kind of clouds, the galaxy map would me much more colourful and pleasing to watch when the nebula had some colour and different colours, I am almost depressed every time i zoom out and see those grey oozing clouds all over the map.
Post #: 1
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/15/2011 10:17:58 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Torgrim

One thing that might sounds kind of trivial to some is how the nebula in the game is showed, they are a grey kind of clouds, the galaxy map would me much more colourful and pleasing to watch when the nebula had some colour and different colours, I am almost depressed every time i zoom out and see those grey oozing clouds all over the map.

I turned up the background controls to max (was originally on low) and it improved a great deal and only seems to slow the AI processing down a minor amount as long as you are below 1000 Star map is what I found early & mid game . BTW, so far color wise I've seen green besides gray and black...

(in reply to Torgrim)
Post #: 2
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/15/2011 10:18:58 PM   
Lrfss

It would be cool to somehow see more colors in "Black Holes" though

< Message edited by Lrfss -- 4/15/2011 10:19:03 PM >

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 3
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/15/2011 10:22:55 PM   
Torgrim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Torgrim

I turned up the background controls to max (was originally on low) and it improved a great deal and only seems to slow the AI processing down a minor amount as long as you are below 1000 Star map is what I found early & mid game . BTW, so far color wise I've seen green besides gray and black...

But the grey "nebulae" are still grey clouds

(in reply to Lrfss)
Post #: 4
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/15/2011 10:33:37 PM   
lordxorn

Are you talking about the background space scenery?

If you are, the problem with making it more colorful is that the game graphics become hard to read, because everything is now all cluttered.

The mod section has some different backgrounds that don't clutter up the UI too much, check it out.

(in reply to Torgrim)
Post #: 5
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/16/2011 12:07:13 AM   
Igard

I think Torgrim is referring to the dust clouds that contain storms. They are an accurate representation of a  dust cloud, so I like them the way they are, but perhaps if we could mod this it would improve the game's visuals for some.

I'm just going to check and make sure we can't mod this at present....

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 6
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/16/2011 12:18:49 AM   
Igard

There is a Nebulae folder in the environments folder. These look like the dust clouds that we see in the game.

I don't know if changing the colour will make a difference though, some one would have to test this.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 7
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/16/2011 9:03:53 AM   
Data

If it can be modded, please wait until I get a superior machine....the one I got now barely survives the game as it is now
I know I could avoid the mod but that would mean to control myself...and I don't even know what that means

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 8
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/16/2011 4:30:21 PM   
Cvan

Better computer? I'd say game needs to get more optimized. I don't really see why the game handles 2d graphics so bad.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 9
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/16/2011 5:03:53 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cvan

Better computer? I'd say game needs to get more optimized. I don't really see why the game handles 2d graphics so bad.

quote:

(

DW uses your CPU and not 3D graphics cards.Better CPU, better performance.

(in reply to Cvan)
Post #: 10
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/16/2011 5:04:31 PM   
Data

I'm not sure it handles them bad but overall it is indeed resource intensive. Until it will be optimized a better computer is the fastest solution.....I just needed a pretext anyway

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Cvan)
Post #: 11
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/16/2011 11:04:02 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

I'm not sure it handles them bad but overall it is indeed resource intensive. Until it will be optimized a better computer is the fastest solution.....I just needed a pretext anyway

TBH the game doesn't really run any better on my brand new desktop.

You need RAM to be able to save/load 1000/1400 star maps.

The planets still appear fuzzy at the edges for 1 milli second when on final zoom until its redrawn

The frame rate occasionally judders.

The planets sometimes disappear for 3 seconds.

The save game writing speed is pitifully slow...

You can refresh the save folder and watch how few bytes are written per second.

I can smoke a cigarette outside and be back upstairs and my 90MB save still is saving.

One could say the game needs optimizing.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 12
RE: More colorful galaxy map - 4/17/2011 6:40:48 AM   
Data

quote:

One could say the game needs optimizing

That is an understatement
It's an unfortunate record but I've never encountered a game that takes so long to save / load...so far. The fact that it's worth the wait offests this, I'm sure this will get fixed eventually as well.

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> More colorful galaxy map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI