Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Partisan Sweeps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Partisan Sweeps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Partisan Sweeps - 4/18/2011 12:11:52 AM   
IdahoNYer

Question - is it possible to encircle and isolate a partisan unit to force it to surrender as you would a normal ground unit?

The reason I ask is that just moving adjacent and inflicting some casualties just doesn't seem to do much to rid an area of partisans. It would be nice, during slow periods of static activity at the front to commit some frontsoldatan in partisan sweeps to eliminate the threat in an area - as was done historically, albiet with less than stellar results.

So is it even feasible with the way the partisans units are combated in WiTE?
Post #: 1
RE: Partisan Sweeps - 4/18/2011 1:21:58 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

I think partisans are sort of like the way partisans were in the boardgame WiR. There, partisan cadres existed that could become fighting units, but unitl they did so they posed no actual threat. The cadres were strong enough to ward off attack (simulating, I think what WitE has, vapor-like manpower that can melt away if not in "real combat" stance).

"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 2
RE: Partisan Sweeps - 4/18/2011 7:57:11 PM   
Aussiematto

Yeah, partisan stuff just seems like an abstraction, with a small amount of game play. Your 'partisan sweeps' are, effectively, modelled by posting units in cities to hold down the occurrence of the real units. By the time you get to actually smacking those units, the sweeps are done and ineffective. So, I think, there is a pretty solid representation of ongoing activity, it's just not something you have to 'do'

I still remember cardboard!

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 3
RE: Partisan Sweeps - 4/18/2011 8:02:12 PM   
Altaris

The rules around partisans are in the manual. I don't have it handy right now, so I can't quote it, but it's something like when a partisan gets displaced, it moves to another valid location 10 hexes away, if that doesn't exist, it's destroyed. It also can't reform next to an enemy unit. So I would think it's possible create a blank of checkerboarded units and force their destruction that way. However, not sure that's very feasible to do... would be a huge number of units required to do this. Maybe possible if you were close to an ocean edge though.

(in reply to Aussiematto)
Post #: 4
RE: Partisan Sweeps - 4/18/2011 8:07:49 PM   
molchomor

One thing comes to mind, does attacking partisans actually result in experience or morale gains for the attacker ?

I have tried training some units this way (Hungarians and Romanians) but I'm not sure if the gains in exp/morale were due to partisan kills or something else (e.g. automatic increases towards national morale levels).

Anybody knows ?

(in reply to Altaris)
Post #: 5
RE: Partisan Sweeps - 4/18/2011 10:21:02 PM   
Helpless

quote:

One thing comes to mind, does attacking partisans actually result in experience or morale gains for the attacker ?

Yes, but not too much. It is usual combat but with very little amount of targets and shots.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

(in reply to molchomor)
Post #: 6
RE: Partisan Sweeps - 4/18/2011 10:31:56 PM   
IdahoNYer

Altaris - so my question really is then, can ZOCs block the ability of a partisan unit when it "displaces"?

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 7
RE: Partisan Sweeps - 4/18/2011 10:36:04 PM   
molchomor

Thanks Pavel!

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 8
RE: Partisan Sweeps - 4/22/2011 4:06:43 AM   
IdahoNYer

So, no answers from the brain trust on ZOCs blocking the ability of partisans to retreat??

(in reply to molchomor)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Partisan Sweeps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI