Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New HPS Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New HPS Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 1:16:13 PM   
Yogi the Great

This one looks different. Available on CD or download.

Post #: 1
RE: New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 1:27:08 PM   
Terminus

I just read the description twice, and I still can't figure out what it's about?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 2
RE: New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 1:30:08 PM   
berto

And they fixed their website's broken "Home" link too!

Seriously, in all seriousness, the HPS website needs some serious cleanup.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

Post #: 3
RE: New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 1:31:38 PM   
Yogi the Great

Can't really say I know how it works either. The screenshots don't help much except to make clear it is not a traditional wargame. Looks like you may be in the headquarters choosing the overall plan effort. Probably not a game for me, but I thought interesting enough to post about. Here is a portion of the description.
----------------------------------
Future Force was designed to help train military leaders in force management and resource allocation. It is not a traditional type of wargame - players do not move counters on a map and engage in specific combats.

Instead, it portrays the short term and long term effects of decisions the players make in deciding what force structure to create and maintain, where to allocate resources, and how to effectively manage the Army’s budget during a simulated twenty-year period against current and emerging threats.

During the game, the player seeks to find balance between the following tasks:

•Conduct intelligence & counterintelligence
•Prioritize theaters of operations
•Manage strategic lift capability
•Create new units
•Update existing unit capability
•Conduct Research & Development

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 1:55:53 PM   
Hanal

It looks to have all of the fun factor of taking an SAT exam.....I'll pass and save my coin for Panzer Corps!

< Message edited by J P Falcon -- 7/3/2011 1:58:35 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 2:49:35 PM   
junk2drive

Chelco did a blog on it.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 6
RE: New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 4:13:57 PM   
sabre1

Looks/sounds like a "Decisive Action" type game.

I'm just not a clever enough person to learn these types of games, and will have to pass on that one.

< Message edited by sabre1 -- 7/3/2011 8:03:48 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 7
RE: New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 4:30:54 PM   
spelk

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive
Chelco did a blog on it.

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/2011/07/future-force-gameplay-notes-about-this.html

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 8
RE: New HPS Game - 7/3/2011 9:01:53 PM   
Perturabo

Some time ago when playing X-Com: Apocalypse, I thought that it would be nice to have a game where one is managing an armed organization but doesn't have to do tactical missions personally.
Is it something like that?

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to spelk)
Post #: 9
RE: New HPS Game - 7/4/2011 9:43:43 AM   
Adam Parker

Thanks for the heads up Yogi.

I'll give HPS credit. The game is available for Digital Download! That's news!

I appreciate the heads up on Chelco's blog too, Junk. Great site.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 10
RE: New HPS Game - 7/4/2011 11:03:23 AM   
jomni

It's more economics than war game.
Something like Middle East Conflict during the DOS days without the political options.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict:_Middle_East_Political_Simulator

< Message edited by jomni -- 7/4/2011 11:09:13 AM >

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 11
RE: New HPS Game - 7/9/2011 7:19:15 PM   
wodin

I for one give credit to HPS in making a game thats inovative and doesn't follow the same old formulas...well done to them.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 12
RE: New HPS Game - 7/9/2011 9:07:10 PM   
jwarrenw13

As a Command and General Staff College graduate, way back in the 20th Century, I got it out of curiosity.  I also happen to like 'management' games.  I play OOTP baseball for example without managing the individual games.  I like looking at stats and crunching numbers.  The guy who designs these games primarily makes simulations for the military, and he occasionally releases one to the public, so it is interesting for that reason.  It is also basically a puzzle game.  You have a limited amount of resources and have to decide how to allocate them each turn with a fairly limited amount of decisions to make -- force allocation into five different areas of operations, and resource allocation.  The computer then runs its turn and you get the results and repeat.  The AI is strong because it doesn't have a lot to do and can't get caught by some gamey amphibious invasion or airdrop or something like that.  It is kind of like chess on a spreadsheet.  It won't be the primary thing I play, but it is quite interesting.

http://www.decisive-point.com/portfolio/futureforce.html

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 13
RE: New HPS Game - 7/10/2011 2:27:13 PM   
spelk

Also posted thison wargamer.com (apologies to those who have already read it)

I bought this, initially I was put off with the budgeting concerns, I've never been big into economics with my wargames. I've only given it the briefest of plays so far, but there is a kind of amusement factor attached to it. Sort of a puzzle game, where you have to divine what actually will work to give you the edge.

As far as I can see, you need to apportion your funds very carefully, between Intelligence, building new units, and fixing/resetting existing ones. R&D adds more punch to your unit types, but I think its a bit of a fund sync.

Shifting troops in and out of Areas of Operation (AO) seems to be about the only physical effect you have on the conflicts resolution. Leaving an AO empty is BAD!

It seems to me, that Intelligence plays a very important factor in your movement decisions (as it should) so don't skimp on the intell.

Getting a handle on the unit rotation is a bit tricky, the game or two I've played, I'm always left floundering with lots of troops stuck in ARFORGEN readying up. Once you're bereft of troops to deploy, the Orange snowball starts to happen and you're going to struggle to get back in the game. I've quit out at about Turn 10, because it was obvious I've made huge blunders early on and they've doomed my chance to win any of the conflicts in the AO's.

In the AO resolution, I see "Orange Wins" a LOT!

I've yet to work out exactly what the difference is, in terms of troops required, between the modes Major Combat Ops, Peacetime Ops and Irregular Warfare.

There are several things key to making the deployment decisions: The Value the enemy puts on the AO and the enemy troops type and strength deployed there. If you can ascertain these things every round, you'll stand a better chance at managing your deployments to win or draw. Lack of info, seems to cause you all sorts of trouble. Then you need to make sure your formation, readying and deployment rotation is equally stocked so you're never short of ready units to put in or pull out of the fight.

From the screenshots there doesn't seem to be much to the game, but the interplay between the variables you can throw into the black box engine, and the troop swapping really does make for quite an engaging puzzle style mechanic.

Its very abstracted, so don't expect too much of it. But so far, I'm quite enjoying the mental jiggery and pokery needed to make things come out in my favour.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 14
RE: New HPS Game - 7/10/2011 5:15:47 PM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I for one give credit to HPS in making a game thats inovative and doesn't follow the same old formulas...well done to them.

Please provide a mini review after you buy the game and play it for awhile....thanks

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 15
RE: New HPS Game - 7/11/2011 1:45:02 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Please provide a mini review after you buy the game and play it for awhile....thanks

Never said I'd buy it...;)...it's just good to see new kinds of wargame...aurora looks boring as hell...but it's very addictive sci fi game...spreadhseet games can be great fun.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 16
RE: New HPS Game - 7/12/2011 7:36:21 AM   
spelk

Just wanted to show folks how this thing plays, with a lightweight like me at the helm. See if any joy can be divined from this sort of logistical "spreadsheet" kind of a game.

Future Force - Part 1 is up!
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=3044

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> New HPS Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message