Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> The War Room >> Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/3/2011 5:07:32 PM   
SS_PanzerLeader

I was a major CC2 player and saw this. I am wondering though if it will support my screen resolution correctly? I am playing on a TV (only option) and have a screen resolution of 1728 x 992

I am also interested in the Longest Day so wondering if it works there also?

thanks

SSPL
Post #: 1
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/3/2011 10:26:38 PM   
SS_PanzerLeader

Also will I be able to have this installed on 2 pcs on my lan and be able to play multiplayer that way

Any help appreciated as I am itching to pick this up!

(in reply to SS_PanzerLeader)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/4/2011 2:14:27 PM   
RD Oddball

I think as long as your graphics card supports a resolution that works for your TV it should work. The game should support any resolution by virtue of the way it's setup. I'll double-check to make sure what I'm saying is accurate and post back here.

On the assumption you've not played CC5 or later games:
One thing I would point out is CC5 is a very different game from CC2. Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem (LSA) and Close Combat: The Longest Day (TLD) are rebuilds created on the CC5 format. The main difference is the strategic layer. In CC2 aside from BG point management the strat layer was non-existent. You didn't have any input on where your troops went or which battle groups moved. In LSA / TLD you do. In LSA / TLD you also have support elements you can assign. Air strikes and artillery barrages. I'd check out the product pages for each to see other details about LSA and TLD.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/386/details/Close.Combat.-.Last.Stand.Arnhem
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/368/details/Close.Combat:.The.Longest.Day

*EDIT* Received confirmation from our developer I had it correct re: aspect ratio. Here's his comments:

quote:

CC2 should work fine if he keeps the game resolution lower. However the game graphics look ‘stretched’ if his TV doesn’t support 4:3 aspect ratio. This also applies to CoI

Longest Day (WaR and LSA) should be fine at any resolution / aspect ratio.

LAN play should work fine (you just enter the private IP address for the machine that is hosting when connecting inside the game).

Steve

< Message edited by RD_Oddball -- 8/4/2011 6:40:15 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/4/2011 7:29:03 PM   
SS_PanzerLeader

Thanks for replying Oddball. I have been watching this hoping to hear something as I am itching to play after playing the CC5 demo yesterday.

The CC5 demo gave no options to adjust the screen settings and doesn't display properly so I have to try and play with the outer edges of the game cut off which is a big drawback. My son was able to play the cc5 demo fine on a widescreen monitor but I am on a TV and this is the only option I have to play.

Also will I be able to have it installed on two machines with 1 copy? This is the other big thing for me as I really don't want to have to pick up two copies for two computers I own and I am looking for something I can play with my son on the lan.

Hope to hear back soon as I would like to pick this up today if possible.

thanks for the help

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/4/2011 7:33:36 PM   
SS_PanzerLeader

Oh I didn't realize you edited the comment. I had read it in the email. Anyhow thanks for that info. Any word on the licensing portion?

thanks

Post #: 5
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/4/2011 7:34:31 PM   
SS_PanzerLeader

dbl post

Post #: 6
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/4/2011 8:24:21 PM   
SS_PanzerLeader

Update:

I found that in the CC5 Options the tab for the screen res wasn't showing but I was able to figure out which hot key manipulated it so I can get it to display right in the map. However the Strategy Screens still cut off. Also the game keeps crashing saying something about a bit transfer of information incomplete. (will update if I see it again.)
Hopefully these things are worked out in LSA or TLD

I am leaning pretty heavy to picking this up just wanting clarification on there being no licensing concerns with me installing it on 2 pcs. You say above that lan is fine and I think you are saying I will be ok but just want to be clear.
Also if anyone else has one copy on 2 pcs with no problem please let me know

thx again

Exact Error Message from CC5 demo:

"Informs DirectDraw that the previous bit which is transferring information to or from this surface is incomplete."

This now occurs every time I run it. I am figuring this shouldn't occur with the updated code making it more compatible with modern systems but figured I would mention it just in case.

< Message edited by SS_PanzerLeader -- 8/4/2011 8:43:25 PM >

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 7
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/4/2011 9:39:41 PM   
mbar

Matrix Games licensing is geared toward us customers. The game and serial key belong to us. We can install the game where we want as long as we are the user of that game. They don't want us giving the game to others of course.

Also it's hard to judge CC using the old demos on new PCs. I myself used the CC5 demo to determine if I wanted it buy. The Matrix product is refined. The AI is better the interface is better too. (Smooth mouse scroll vs the too fast scroll of the CC5 demo.) I've played it on a 4:3 screen and a 16:9 screen.

I can't confirm this will work on the screen you're asking about but just forwarding my limited experience with the game.

Post #: 8
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/5/2011 1:16:33 PM   
RD Oddball

Thanks for adding the info mbar. Well put re: licensing. Re: CC5 demo - exactly the point I was going to make. We did not create the CC5 demo. That was something that was done over 10 years ago. The CoI, WaR, TLD and LSA builds will perform much better than the CC5 demo.

As Steve had said WaR, TLD, LSA will all perform fine at any resolution / aspect ratio your graphics card supports. If you DO have problems report them here and we'll look into it.

(in reply to mbar)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia - 8/6/2011 1:10:39 AM   
SS_PanzerLeader

Ok good deal thanks for the info guys. I will be picking this up.

SSPL

(in reply to RD Oddball)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> The War Room >> Thinking of Picking this up due to Nostalgia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI