Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Server problems?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Server problems? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Server problems? - 12/16/2011 9:51:44 PM   
Michael T

Is anyone else having problems with the server lately?

Its been very good up till the last few days. I can't seem to save a game at the moment and I have real trouble up loading my end of turn. No problem opening a turn

Post #: 1
RE: Server problems? - 12/17/2011 10:18:49 AM   
Blubel

It has been slower than usual for me for the last week or so, but it always worked.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 2
RE: Server problems? - 12/17/2011 12:09:48 PM   
demyansk

I have a problem getting log on authorization in the multiplayer mode, it won't allow me to look for challenges etc.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 3
RE: Server problems? - 12/18/2011 3:03:42 AM   
Michael T

Well it looks like its only me with this problem.

All was working well up until about a week ago. Now every time I try to end the turn or save I get error 99. But if open another instance of the game and log in I can see that the turn has uploaded ok when I end turn. So I just close it all down and no problem. But inconveinient. I can't do the same check with saving as I don't want to appear like I am cheating the system if it indeed has not saved.

So can someone help me out? I am pretty computer savvy. I have disabled my firewall and it made no difference. No security or any settings I know of have changed on my PC. The problem seems to only be my PC receiveing a message that the turn has ended ok or saved ok. I don't have any problem opening up my turn.

Is it possible something could have changed on my service provider? I am with Bigpond, an Australian provider. I know last week they had a big security scare and they may have changed some stuff. I am not sure. All I know is things were fine till about a week ago. Does anyone else use Bigpond as a provider and use the server? If so is it working ok for you?

Pip, Joel any ideas?

TIA
Michael

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 4
RE: Server problems? - 12/18/2011 12:26:26 PM   
demyansk

Mike,

I was able to fix my problem which was my fault with two different passwords from the game and the slitherine account.  Did you try to uninstall the game and do a complete reinstall with everyhting off in the background?  See if it will work with the 1.00 version?  Just a thought

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 5
RE: Server problems? - 12/18/2011 8:20:16 PM   
Michael T

Ok I will try a re-install. Thanks

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 6
RE: Server problems? - 12/19/2011 12:38:10 PM   
Michael T

Re-install did not make any difference. Pip? Joel? Anyone?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 7
RE: Server problems? - 12/19/2011 6:10:19 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

It could be an issue with the upload speed causing a timeout - perhaps there is some congestion due to their new security protocols? How long does it usually take you to get a successful upload?

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 8
RE: Server problems? - 12/19/2011 8:22:16 PM   
Michael T

Pip when I end my turn I always get an error 99. But actually the turn has successfully uploaded. What does that mean? Does that mean that an aknowledgement from the server is not getting thru to my PC somehow? What would stop it? And if it is being stopped how come I can download my turn ok?

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 9
RE: Server problems? - 12/19/2011 9:02:07 PM   
Michael T

It could be speed related. Is anyone else at Slitherine having problems? I doubt I am the only Bigpond subscriber to play games via your server Pip. Is there any test I can run?

The end of turn problem is a pain but I have a work around with just opening another instance of the game and checking who's go it is. It's the saving that is the real problem. I have no way of knowing if my game is saving or not.

Thanks
Michael

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 10
RE: Server problems? - 12/19/2011 10:11:45 PM   
Michael T

On the Slitherine site I saw a guy had some similar problems with error 99 2 days ago. He said he changed some Interent Explorer proxy settings and fixed the problem. What settings would they be?

Also how could IE settings effect things? I thought server play would be independent of IE?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 11
RE: Server problems? - 12/20/2011 4:33:33 AM   
Seminole

I didn't receive an email notification for my opponent completing his last turn in our server game.  Not sure if it is related, but the previous 18 turn notifications came through fine.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 12
RE: Server problems? - 12/20/2011 5:51:02 AM   
Toidi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

It could be speed related. Is anyone else at Slitherine having problems? I doubt I am the only Bigpond subscriber to play games via your server Pip. Is there any test I can run?

The end of turn problem is a pain but I have a work around with just opening another instance of the game and checking who's go it is. It's the saving that is the real problem. I have no way of knowing if my game is saving or not.

Thanks
Michael

I had issues with Slitherine with BigPond quite a bit. I use the mobile internet and it simply did not work. Appeared that it worked at certain times of the day etc. It seems to me that the mobile version compresses the data, sends it to the Telstra server and it is decompressed there, leading to some issues. I has some issues with Vodafone mobile, but it was better (i.e. if internet had reasonable speed, it worked). As such, I made two threads on Slitherine website, they did not say much helpful, though they did reply to my posts very quickly. I now play PBEM - no problem there... I would prefer Slitherine if it worked flawlessly, but it just doesn't with my mobile internet...

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 13
RE: Server problems? - 12/20/2011 6:17:43 AM   
Michael T

I am using a desktop with cable. I have been using the server for a year with no dramas, till now

(in reply to Toidi)
Post #: 14
RE: Server problems? - 12/20/2011 6:41:07 AM   
Michael T

Ok I saved the game and then closed the game even tho I had an error 99. As I suspected when I re-opened the game it was actually saved.

So the upload from my PC to the server works fine. But the acknowledgement from from the server to my PC is not getting thru for some reason. This is strange because I would think downloading the save game would take much longer than a simple ack from the server.

I guess unless someone can help me I will just have to ignor the error 99 and trust the game is being saved. Why this has suddenly started to occur is beyond me.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 15
RE: Server problems? - 12/20/2011 5:49:59 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

The technical reason that IE affects the upload is that we use the wininet library. This means it can use the (usually working) IE settings to access the internet, but if you are not using IE on your system, and your settings may have changed, then it might be that updating your IE settings to your current config will fix the issue. If it is something that suddenly started, it might be a proxy issue that they have altered in their security reorg?

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 16
RE: Server problems? - 12/20/2011 8:15:46 PM   
Michael T

Ok Pip. That sounds like a possibility. Is there something I can change or do to rectify it?

Post #: 17
RE: Server problems? - 12/21/2011 4:10:13 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

If IE is working, then it should all be fine already. I'm just trying to think through every possibility.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 18
RE: Server problems? - 12/21/2011 8:11:54 PM   
mmarquo

No Email notification once again for me.
I checked my settings on the Slitherine site and they are correct. Pip, you were going to check on this several weeks back, and it has again recurred. Any thoughts?
My current game is against Marquo vs Klily

Much thanks,

Marquo

Post #: 19
RE: Server problems? - 12/21/2011 9:11:46 PM   
Michael T

Hi Pip
I am using IE and it works.

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 20
RE: Server problems? - 12/23/2011 2:11:12 AM   
Michael T

Any further ideas Pip?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 21
RE: Server problems? - 12/23/2011 4:00:32 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

We seem to be having some ongoing email issues - we're getting flagged as spam and it's wackamole with specific providers to try and handle it all. What provider are you with? (don't post your email in full - bots you know!).

@Michael, sorry - I can't think what else would be causing it. If it is taking more than 30 seconds then it could be a transaction timeout, but that seems unlikely.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 22
RE: Server problems? - 12/23/2011 4:01:07 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

@Michael - just so I am clear, what happens if you retry after the 99 failure?

Cheers

Pip

Post #: 23
RE: Server problems? - 12/23/2011 8:28:13 PM   
Michael T

Hi Pip
I am with - Bigpond.com -

If I retry I just get error 99 again, and again, and again.

But as I said the game actually has either saved or uploaded the turn.

Post #: 24
RE: Server problems? - 12/29/2011 7:55:19 PM   
Michael T

Any idea's Pip? I still have this problem.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 25
RE: Server problems? - 12/30/2011 6:27:44 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

I'm going to have to guess at an ISP issue going on - but obviously it's hard to tell for sure. I will work with the guys to see if we can come up with anything more specific. At least you are able to play - if somewhat less than optimally.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 26
RE: Server problems? - 12/31/2011 8:10:02 AM   
Michael T

Hi Pip
I intend to call the tech guru's at my ISP but they are on holidays till the 4th Jan.
Till then I will just perservere with it. It still works, just not WAD.

Post #: 27
RE: Server problems? - 1/6/2012 8:59:10 PM   
Michael T

Well the so called tech guru's were pretty clueless. The problem still exits. I am at a loss as to why something that has worked almost perfectly for a year suddenly about 3 weeks started having problems that no one else seems to have. Its weird. I can still play my turns ok but I have no idea if a game is saving ok until I open the game again.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 28
RE: Server problems? - 1/10/2012 10:19:51 PM   
Michael T

The problem has been resolved. It just started working properly again. I don't know why.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Server problems? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI