Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shakedown cruises and auto-docking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Shakedown cruises and auto-docking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/29/2021 10:23:31 AM   
Yaab

Seems the code auto-docks a shakedown TF, if any ship in the TF has supplies loaded.

I created a support shakedown TF in San Diego with AK, AE, AG, and AVD ships. Two AGs were loaded with supplies as well as one AVD. The TF was set to Do Not Unload. Checking the TF, the TF lagged somewhat in their exp gain compared to other TFs. During one turn I finally noticed the TF was docked by the code in San Diego. Undocked the TF and ran the turn. Next turn was the same story. I gave the TF a Patrol are in San Diego hex. Next turn, the code overrode the Patrol and docked the TF again. Finally I unloaded the TF in San Diego. Next turn the code finally left the TF in San Diego hex unmolested.

So, unload your ships before starting a shakedown cruise in a hex with a port.
Post #: 1
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/29/2021 12:23:47 PM   
Uncivil Engineer

Did you tell the TF to Stop Loading Supplies? It won't leave the port even if undocked if it's still loading. I've overlooked that more times than I can count.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 2
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/29/2021 12:32:25 PM   
Yaab

No, the ships were fully loaded with supplies when disbanded in San Diego via load tender button. Only later did I form the shakedown TF with them.

The most annoying thing was the code overriding the Patrol orders.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 5/29/2021 12:33:18 PM >

(in reply to Uncivil Engineer)
Post #: 3
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/29/2021 4:09:27 PM   
BBfanboy

I think the key might be the order to upgrade. I have had tender type ships with supplies on board not unload when I moved them between ports etc,. but I always leave them set to "Do Not Upgrade".

Someone posted recently that if a tender was set to "Upgrade Allowed", it would start unloading supply while it was disbanded in port. I haven't seen that myself, but that is what I understood from the discussion. Normally, when I want to upgrade a tender with supplies on it, I put it in a TF, dock it, set it to unload and auto-disband, and of course set "Upgrade Allowed".

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/29/2021 11:24:46 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I think the key might be the order to upgrade. I have had tender type ships with supplies on board not unload when I moved them between ports etc,. but I always leave them set to "Do Not Upgrade".

Someone posted recently that if a tender was set to "Upgrade Allowed", it would start unloading supply while it was disbanded in port. I haven't seen that myself, but that is what I understood from the discussion. Normally, when I want to upgrade a tender with supplies on it, I put it in a TF, dock it, set it to unload and auto-disband, and of course set "Upgrade Allowed".

Yes, the ships will slowly unload in port before the upgrade. It is actually quicker to put it in a TF, dock it, then unload it with the TF disbanding, and the upgrade set to "Yes" so it will upgrade. Once the ship has started the upgrade and/or repairs, you can go to the repair screen then select "Load Tenders" and the ships will load.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/30/2021 5:47:57 AM   
Ian R

You can put a loaded xAK in a shipyard for repairs. SS Silvermaple had a bad day, limped into Saigon with part of her load intact, and went straight into the shipyard after the fires were extinguished.

Here she is the next day:

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 6
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/30/2021 6:29:09 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

You can put a loaded xAK in a shipyard for repairs. SS Silvermaple had a bad day, limped into Saigon with part of her load intact, and went straight into the shipyard after the fires were extinguished.

Yes, non-tender type vessels do not have to unload their cargo before upgrades either. The thing I was describing where ships unloaded automatically while disbanded is strictly for tender type vessels with upgrade enabled and due.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 7
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/30/2021 4:27:33 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Yes, non-tender type vessels do not have to unload their cargo before upgrades either. The thing I was describing where ships unloaded automatically while disbanded is strictly for tender type vessels with upgrade enabled and due.

Ummmmm . . .

That ship is repairing not upgrading, there is a difference.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/30/2021 4:43:59 PM   
Ian R

Indeed. However, as BBfb says, you can "order" a loaded transport into upgrade.

Conversions are a different matter, though.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 9
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/30/2021 8:34:53 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

Ummmmm . . .

That ship is repairing not upgrading, there is a difference.

You misunderstand my drift. The thread prior to Ian R's post was all about tender type vessels. Ian R interjected the post about a non-tender type repairing. I steered the discussion back toward tender type vessels while pointing out the difference between non-tenders and tenders re: cargo on board before upgrading. I am well aware the screenshot show a non-tender under repair, but that was never the subject of discussion.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 10
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 5/30/2021 8:36:44 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Indeed. However, as BBfb says, you can "order" a loaded transport into upgrade.

Conversions are a different matter, though.

Good point about the conversions - so many ifs, ands and buts in this game!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 11
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/1/2021 12:29:37 PM   
Yaab

OK, checked my support TFs once again.

I had three shakedown TFs with support ships, that had some supplies loaded - one TF in San Diego, Sorebaja and Sidney respectively. The infuriating auto-docking only happened in San Diego. Since the West Coast bases have artificially high supply-required values, I reckon San Diego tried to snatch any supplies present in the hex.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/1/2021 1:30:30 PM   
HansBolter

If you give them a one hex patrol pattern in the port hex instead of letting the TF just sit in the port hex you will have no problems with autodocking.

Besides, actually doing something seems like a more realistic approach to a shakedown cruise.

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 13
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/1/2021 3:26:00 PM   
Yaab

But Hans, San Diego also overrode Patrol orders for that TF. That was driving me mad!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 14
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/1/2021 9:31:15 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

But Hans, San Diego also overrode Patrol orders for that TF. That was driving me mad!

Insurrection in the ranks.

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 15
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/2/2021 2:09:30 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

You are going to have to start showing screen shots - I have never seen the behaviour you are describing unless it was a patrolling TF returning automatically to refuel. I don't have ships with supply on board doing patrols so I can only suppose that such a TF might unload the supply while it was refueling.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 16
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/2/2021 8:37:38 AM   
Yaab

Here it is.

Beginning of turn 23. Went to San Diego to check my shakedown TF on Patrol orders and found it docked in San Diego

Compare it to a smiliar TF in Sorebaja on the same turn. The code left the TF alone.

< Message edited by Yaab -- 6/2/2021 8:40:38 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/2/2021 9:28:10 AM   
HansBolter

Hmmm, have to admit that I have never given a Patrol order to a Cargo TF before.

Would have every expectation of it behaving strangely if I did.

I typically reserve Patrol orders for TF types that actually want to be patrolling.

Just a wild guess, but this may be the root of your problem.

Three of the ships in the TF are also empty. It may be docking in an attempt to fill the empty cargo space.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 6/2/2021 9:30:13 AM >

Hans

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 18
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/2/2021 9:33:01 AM   
Yaab

Damn, now I see it!

I don't know how it happened, but my San Diego TF has Cargo mission instead of Support mission. This probably made the code dock this TF in San Diego.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 19
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/2/2021 11:24:02 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Damn, now I see it!

I don't know how it happened, but my San Diego TF has Cargo mission instead of Support mission. This probably made the code dock this TF in San Diego.

The San Diego TF is also showing 125 Ops points used - about what typically is used to refuel a TF. If the Patrol Zone orders show "Full Refuel" at San Diego, they will do that every turn. And if the TF is just set to "Full Refuel" on a one hex patrol, it might do the same too. Watch the numbers for the supply on board every turn to see if that changes, loading or unloading.

Also, I have the impression from way back that ships moving at sea gain experience faster than ships on a one-hex patrol or remaining on station. If the ships you are training have a 75 hex range, why not send them out 20 hexes, move another 20 hexes to another at-sea location and 20 hexes back. Time spent cruising overnight seems to raise the night experience much better than sitting in a port hex overnight.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 20
RE: Shakedown cruises and auto-docking - 6/2/2021 12:14:52 PM   
RangerJoe

Or load the ships, send them to sea, and have them arrive at another base.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Shakedown cruises and auto-docking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI