Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

question regarding german advance in 1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> question regarding german advance in 1941 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
question regarding german advance in 1941 - 11/12/2011 12:00:54 PM   
sven6345789

after experimenting with the small scenarios a bit i finally had a little more spare time this week to take on the 1941 campaign. Somehow i have difficulties using the german panzercorps right. After 2-3 turns, they go low on fuel and supplies, airdropping supplies doesn't help all that much, and advance slows down to a crawl. i also get stuck in hordes of russian units, unable to crush a hole in the line (played both sides to see how the game develops). how does one reach Leningrad on turn 3? do you use your panzerdivisions for fighting? or do you try to bypass all enemies and use them to encircle the russians?

i read lots of the AARs, but fing it difficult to reproduce the results.

regards,
Sven

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943
Post #: 1
RE: question regarding german advance in 1941 - 11/12/2011 12:17:49 PM   
ComradeP

Reaching Leningrad on turn 3 is normally impossible, unless you use HQ-build up and your opponent has placed a rather poor defensive setup in front of your advancing formations.

The fuel situation indeed becomes problematic after just 2-3 turns, like it should. One thing to keep in mind is that MP's are also reduced by fatigue, so not driving your mobile units around to places they don't absolutely need to go, and not switching the direction you want to advance (which means you're wasting large amounts of fuel on moving the formations where you want them to be).

The Soviets don't nearly have enough units early on for any real depth in their line, so focus on the parts that seem to be the weakest and don't look like traps designed to lure your units into a backhand blow situation.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 2
RE: question regarding german advance in 1941 - 11/12/2011 2:24:05 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: sven6345789

do you use your panzerdivisions for fighting? or do you try to bypass all enemies and use them to encircle the russians?

i read lots of the AARs, but fing it difficult to reproduce the results.

regards,
Sven

Especially during the first weeks, mobile units are mostly used to close/secure/tighten pockets behind the russian "frontline", while infantry moves up, like they did IRL. The main asset of Pz/Mot Divs isn't always their combat value, but it's movement radius. Fighting can however become necessary, when infantry isn't close by to puncture an undisrupted frontline.

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> question regarding german advance in 1941 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI