Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Shield !! Bah who need Shields ??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/1/2011 5:15:46 AM   
Canute0

Ok pre-Legends your ship/station was defenceless when you lost the shields.
More armor just help a bit to let the Ship Escape. But any Armor hit interrupted your Weaponenergy and you can't damage the attack anymore.

But with Legend that changed.
Railguns or loosing your shields don't interrupt your weaponfire anymore, your ship/station got still full firepower.
I designed a cruiser with just 1 ship, and instead the other shields i normaly use for that size i changed it into 1 Repair bot + 1 extra armor . 4 Size vs 10 size. The spare size i got i spend into more weapons.

The first battles against pirate stations are a big success. Ok these pirates wasn't a big treat anyway but it show me it works.
I think my next game will be with the Ikkuro race to use their Race Repair-bot and dont research shields.

The only disadvance are, your ships don't will flee anymore.

Edit: another disadvance, the ships allways try to repair after the fight even when they are full repaired.

< Message edited by Canute -- 12/1/2011 6:24:33 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/1/2011 6:38:38 AM   
Fideach

While playing the Ikkuro, I didn't have an issue with them wanting to go repair after battles I don't think. Know they always wanted to go refuel though.

Think I might start another game with the Ikkuro with some role playing rules in place. Like they don't believe in shields and wont use them. Maybe give up on the energy weapons and just rely on rail guns and missiles.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 2
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/5/2011 4:26:30 AM   
jpwrunyan

They need flee options for 0% shields and %armor as well. Or alternatively flee when taking system critical damage. As it is you need shields just to get the ai to act properly. Or you can put never flee and control your shieldless ships manually (pita!)

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 3
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/5/2011 5:02:47 AM   
Ares106

very happy to hear this, Armor is actually useful in Legends, this is a great improvement!

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 4
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/5/2011 5:35:58 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Armor is not only improved, but necesarry! Even the basic railguns at close range will mess you up if you don't have some armor tech.

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 5
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/5/2011 9:02:06 AM   
w1p

armor only makes your ships a hell of a lot more expensive and early game your constantly repairing.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 6
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/6/2011 12:08:59 AM   
Canute0

Ok commando back or at last at hold.
The problem are Repair Bots are a redunant system like Command,commerce or medical center.  Just one repair bot is doing repair, other are just reserve system in case the other is damaged.

This i just notice on a damaged ship with 47 damaged components, and the ship got 4 undamaged Repairbots. But just 1 system every 2 sec got repaired (standed repair time for ikkuro impr. repairbot).

I dont say the armor tank isn't bad, this ship a Troop Transport survived an Invasion attack against enemy homeworld, and it got just 1 shield component. But the armor tank isn't that good then i thought before.

And since Railguns Repairbots got a much higher value then before, that prevent ships to fly back for repairs.

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 7
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/6/2011 12:31:59 AM   
Malevolence

... already put in a request to the admiralty for "regenerative nanites"

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 8
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/6/2011 4:00:35 AM   
jpwrunyan

quote:

ORIGINAL: w1p

armor only makes your ships a hell of a lot more expensive and early game your constantly repairing.

Absolutely. Nailed it!
Ships are far cheaper to maintain when they are simply destroyed and take less time to repair that way as well.

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 9
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/6/2011 7:28:12 AM   
J HG T

Shadowghost ECM + Huge shields + state-of-the-art engines and thrusters + Long range weapons = Bite me railguns.
Still, I tend to put more armor on my ships in Legends than before. Just to make sure those railgun equipped ships won't completely devastate my ships.

Also, +1 on the regenerative nanites.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 10
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/6/2011 3:33:41 PM   
Data

regenerative nanites? SR2 flashback

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 11
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/6/2011 3:58:38 PM   
Cauldyth

Regenerative nanites, are you mad?! That's how the SilverMist started! Learn from the mistakes of the civilizations that have gone before you!

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 12
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/7/2011 5:33:52 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Shadowghost ECM + Huge shields + state-of-the-art engines and thrusters + Long range weapons = Bite me railguns.
Still, I tend to put more armor on my ships in Legends than before. Just to make sure those railgun equipped ships won't completely devastate my ships.

Also, +1 on the regenerative nanites.

Just watch out for Phaser armed ships!

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 13
RE: Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? - 12/7/2011 9:26:18 AM   
Malevolence

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Regenerative nanites, are you mad?! That's how the SilverMist started! Learn from the mistakes of the civilizations that have gone before you!

perhaps the thing that gives you regenerative nanites is the defeat of the silvermist! ... and I'm not mad, I'm malevolent.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Shield !! Bah who need Shields ?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI