Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First Distant Worlds Legends Review up - 9/10!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> First Distant Worlds Legends Review up - 9/10! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First Distant Worlds Legends Review up - 9/10! - 12/5/2011 2:47:05 PM   
SeanD

http://www.gamesquad.com/review/reviewed-distant-worlds-legends

Off to an excellent start.

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
Post #: 1
RE: First Distant Worlds Legends Review up - 9/10! - 12/5/2011 3:44:29 PM   
Sarissofoi

Great.
Hope that you redone design system though.

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 2
RE: First Distant Worlds Legends Review up - 9/10! - 12/5/2011 4:07:56 PM   
Grotius

Excellent review! The reviewer reminded me of all the new stuff in Legends that I've been taking for granted: Wonders, characters, overlays, vectors, new events and techs, new galaxy sizes, UI improvements. It's hard to imagine going back to vanilla DW now.

I'm not sure what I think about the reviewer's critique of ship design. I do like the idea of helping the AI compete. I'm not sure what modifications to ship design would achieve that aim, though.

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 3
RE: First Distant Worlds Legends Review up - 9/10! - 12/5/2011 8:20:00 PM   
martok

Congratulations to Elliot, Erik, and all the folks at Matrix!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Excellent review! The reviewer reminded me of all the new stuff in Legends that I've been taking for granted: Wonders, characters, overlays, vectors, new events and techs, new galaxy sizes, UI improvements. It's hard to imagine going back to vanilla DW now.

Reminder to self: Must wait til after Christmas to buy expansions, must wait til after Christmas to buy expansions, must wait til after Christmas to buy expansions....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

I'm not sure what I think about the reviewer's critique of ship design. I do like the idea of helping the AI compete. I'm not sure what modifications to ship design would achieve that aim, though.

It's not really about helping the AI compete, though. It's more that the AI designs are often so blatantly (even painfully) sub-optimal, that it beggars belief. This hurts immersion. In addition, it reduces the AI's overall competitiveness -- which in turn hurts immersion a second time....and that ultimately reduces a player's enjoyment of the game.

Nor are the problems with ship design restricted to the AI's (in)ability in this area. There's long been a laundry list of desired complaints/improvements, such as the seemingly-needless complexity in refitting/upgrading ships and (especially!) bases & starports, the inability to mass-delete old/obsolete designs, etc.

Happily, it sounds like the planned second update for Legends will alleviate many of these latter concerns. However, the article's author can only review the game in the state it was in at the time he wrote it -- not as it will hopefully be in a few weeks' time -- and so the complaints about ship design are valid for now.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 4
RE: First Distant Worlds Legends Review up - 9/10! - 12/5/2011 9:00:05 PM   
the1sean

I would really like to see the default ship designs/loadouts extracted into an editable text file. One separate ship design file for each race would be optimal. That way the modding community could add both unique flavor and tricky designs for each race's ships; and at the same time keep the ship designs up-to-date with common player tactics.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> First Distant Worlds Legends Review up - 9/10! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI