Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 10:34:16 PM   
Neotheone

War finally started for me in my present game and came in force. The Shaturi decided to unveil themselves and I accepted a mutual defense agreement with a faction before checking the political screen and gained two more factions because the faction I agreed to join was at war with two races...grrrrrrrrrrrr! At any rate what is this NaN that has popped up?

Also while I'm on the subject of race interactions why can't I click on what the race wants to trade/swap with me and goto the location during a diplomacy meeting they have initiated? I mean how in the hell am I suppose to know what Primal obstigoot is that the race wants to trade for my Ishehotyet probalee? That's kind of ridiculous to make such trade offers and not allowing the player to see where they are and what they are? Help please if I'm missing something here.
Post #: 1
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 10:38:55 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

The only way I know of the double-check things before you sell them is to use the side-bar. Double-click on the icons, as single-clicking doesn't seem to work in the diplomacy screen. Not perfect, and kind of time-consuming on bigger maps, but it's the only method I know of that works. Otherwise trading mining bases is a waste of time.. too risky to sell bases when you don't know off the top of your head what you are selling.

As for the Shakturi.. that's a rough go, man. When you enable the Return of the Shakturi storyline you are essentially enabling this game's version of a campaign. The war will be long, hard, and possibly hopeless. I've yet to beat them, and I've tried very hard.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 2
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 10:50:15 PM   
Neotheone

Well I have nearly 60 colonies and a jillion ships and 8 mil reserve but it seems something happened to my taxing and NaN is now in the spot where colony taxes used to be? I tried attacking the Guardians and if the Shaturi are harder than them then yes I'm in Biggggggggggggggggggggggggg trouble because I lost a 100 ships trying to take out 1 of the Guardians lol. This is one of those practice games anywho to find out how things work so I'm not worried about the storyline or Shakattacks I just want to know what things are like NaN? Thanks for your help btw.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 3
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 10:52:47 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neotheone

Well I have nearly 60 colonies and a jillion ships and 8 mil reserve but it seems something happened to my taxing and NaN is now in the spot where colony taxes used to be? I tried attacking the Guardians and if the Shaturi are harder than them then yes I'm in Biggggggggggggggggggggggggg trouble because I lost a 100 ships trying to take out 1 of the Guardians lol. This is one of those practice games anywho to find out how things work so I'm not worried about the storyline or Shakattacks I just want to know what things are like NaN? Thanks for your help btw.

The Guardian homeworld is the best-defended place in the Galaxy. Pound-for-pound the Guardians are stronger. But the Shakturi are close, and they certainly have numbers. I really have no idea what NaN is... I am truly curious now.

With an empire of your size, there's no reason you shouldn't be as prepared as you'll ever be for this though. I just wish I knew what that NaN business was.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 4
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 10:55:39 PM   
Neotheone

I wish I knew how to upload a screenshot. This site isn't anywhere near as easy to upload pics like The Wargamer is. I can just upload a pic from my pictures document and poof it's there in the post. Matrixgames needs to update their forums and get with the plan.

Post #: 5
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 10:57:04 PM   
Cauldyth

NaN means "Not a Number" and shows up in software that has done things like try to divide 0 by 0. No clue how to help you fix it though, sorry.

Post #: 6
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 10:58:02 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

I wish I knew how to upload a screenshot. This site isn't anywhere near as easy to upload pics like The Wargamer is. I can just upload a pic from my pictures document and poof it's there in the post. Matrixgames needs to update their forums and get with the plan.

lol, I use photobucket. I feel you though, these forums are pretty dated--though they make me nostalgiac for an old NWN forum I was very active on.

One way to see if that folder-tree is compromised is to take a screenshot using the 0 key on the numpad. It will tell you after you press the button where the screenshot was saved (should be C/Users/<UserName>/Somethingsomethingect...). If you then cannot find this screenshot for the life of you, chances are that part of the folder-tree is on read-only.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 7
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 11:17:26 PM   
Neotheone

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa366/Neotheone55/2011-12-09_170505.jpg

This will be interesting hope it works. If it does see the NaN in the colony tax area?

How can I make it less blurry?

Let's see if this one is better? http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa366/Neotheone55/2011-12-09_170505-1.jpg

Now I cropped this thing and resized it and saved and it still comes out small? What am I doing wrong? It should be a zoomed in pic of just the area where NaN is?

[IMG]http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa366/Neotheone55/2011-12-09_170505-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

Ok the image one works you have to put it up there in the web address bar and then press returen button.

< Message edited by Neotheone -- 12/9/2011 11:30:57 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 11:20:43 PM   
Keston

Kirk: NaN? What does bread from - India - have to do with this?

Spock: Captain, I believe the expression is N a N, which is an abbreviation meaning "not a number."

Kirk: So, it's not a number, and it's not Indian bread. What is it? No, wait, forget the scientific explanations for once: just tell me, what does it mean?

Spock: In simple, unscientific terms, it means that there is a 200% chance we are being defeated by a mathematical impossibility.

Post #: 9
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 11:33:31 PM   
Neotheone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

quote:

The Guardian homeworld is the best-defended place in the Galaxy. Pound-for-pound the Guardians are stronger. But the Shakturi are close, and they certainly have numbers. I really have no idea what NaN is... I am truly curious now.

With an empire of your size, there's no reason you shouldn't be as prepared as you'll ever be for this though. I just wish I knew what that NaN business was.

Oh I forgot to tell you the SilverMist are in the galaxy also. lol I think I have just about everything from the storyline to great creatures of the universe activated and all coming at me now. I wonder when Darth Vader is going to show up?

BTW thanks for introducing me to "Photobucket" after 20+ years I finally figured out how to upload a picture to a post. other than The Wargamers easy to use system.

< Message edited by Neotheone -- 12/9/2011 11:34:54 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 11:36:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Neo,

Are you running 1.7.0.6? That fixed a similar issue that was introduced in 1.7.0.5.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 11
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 11:37:17 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

lol, it's only going to get worse man. Even without the bugs, you're in for a rough ride.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 12
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/9/2011 11:41:34 PM   
Neotheone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Neo,

Are you running 1.7.0.6? That fixed a similar issue that was introduced in 1.7.0.5.

Regards,

- Erik

No Erik didn't you read my posts? I said I went back to 1.07.5 because I tried 1.7.0.6 even after a reinstall and a clean registry and it did the same things it did yesterday. Just add the fix to 1.7.0.5 please.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 13
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/10/2011 12:08:35 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Neo,

I just checked with Elliot and this is the same bug, which only existed (briefly) in 1.7.0.5. We won't be doing anything else with 1.7.0.5 beta at this point unfortunately, that was an interim beta update. If you could upload a crash log or a save file that crashes for you with 1.7.0.6, we would be very likely to be able to fix the crash you mentioned.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 14
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/10/2011 1:05:02 AM   
Neotheone

Ok I'm reading the thread on how to upload a save file now. Hopefully I can figure this out. I just reinstalled with 1.07.6 Official patch and it crashed within 2 minutes this time. Works 8+ hours straight with 1.07.5 and crashed in 2 minutes with 1.07.6 official patch. That's damn funny.....NOT!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 15
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/10/2011 1:43:51 AM   
malkuth74

Devs are real good about going out way help people. Sure you will be up and running soon. :)

< Message edited by malkuth74 -- 12/10/2011 1:44:24 AM >

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 16
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/10/2011 1:49:11 AM   
Neotheone

Oh I know malkuth but it always seems to be when I buy a matrixgames I always have issues. I buy Paradox and Creative Assembly games and rarely have issues, but, you let me buy a Matrixgame game and man I get them out the kabooza. I've never had any issues with HPS games either. And when I say issues I mean crashing issues or game broken to the point of frustrating to play or a waste of time to play because it's going to crash sooner moreso than later. I got Battles from the Bulge too and I'm almost afraid to install it now.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 17
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/10/2011 1:56:17 AM   
malkuth74

Ya don't buy sword stars 2 then hate for that paradox rep to dwindle.

Anyway the patches you download from forum are beta patches. The solid patches you get from the launcher. Sometimes we have issues with beta patches and that's why beta. :)

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 18
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/10/2011 6:58:29 AM   
Gray Death

yay, SotS 2 is making progress, but the game is still an absolute joke.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 19
RE: Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! - 12/10/2011 10:40:56 AM   
Neotheone

I tend to not buy every 4x space game made. I read reviews and listen to others comments on forums and Metacritic mostly. I'm not going to learn every 4x game out there I'm only going to play the top ranked ones. For years it was MOO II and then Galactic Civ I & II came along and now this one. If they fix it and get all the quirks and bugs and flaws out this one could become like number 4 on my list.

It's becoming easier and easier though to compare this to X3:Terran conflict in the real time department, but, X3 is less headachee. The difference I see is in this game you colonize and conquer colonies, in X3 you capture enemy ships and conquer enemy factories and space ports/outposts and you actually get to sit in the cockpit of the ships in X3 and/or you can control it from a single ship. In this game you get to pick how much you want to operate, but, in X3 you can do pretty much the same putting your fleets or individual ships on auto pilot, patrols, transport duty and invasions. This game allows you to design your ships it has that over X3, but, then again designing ships is just a time consuming thing and usually puts the player over the top over the AI because the AI is never going to design anything as good as the player. In X3 all ships are built fairly an equally for player and AI by the game engine designs themselves. There's more diplomacy in this, whereas X3 just cuts to the chase and pretty much is a conquer game from the start.

I also tend to see a Paradox Europa engine game in space with this game. Real time with the ability to slow it down to a crawl (that's a plus for me). 10 million popups a minute that you can't adjust to pause the game when they do popup like a Paradox game. Diplomacy simular as well and too forgiving. Lackidasical AI that spreads out and colonizes too slowly (at least on Normal settings). I find that the AI is too giving in credits to me every 5 minutes. I think I make more money with other races giving 20000 credits every 5 minutes than I do actually building up my own economy.

All n all it's not a bad marriage of the two other designs; X3 and Paradox EU engine in space. I'll always wish for a more aggressive AI, but, I haven't tested all the features to make it more challenging yet and I'm just reviewing on the Normal difficulty game setup right now. I was just getting into the wars in the other game when all the crashing started so I don't know how tough the Shakturi are but I did get a taste of the Silvermist, Ancient Pirates and the Guardians which were fun and challenging. The Guardians most especially, man 100 ships lost to try to take out one of theirs that's some overpowered programming of the AI for sure.

Gonna be a good game I think when they get it fixed. Has great potential.

(in reply to Gray Death)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ok what's this NaN business? I can't get any taxes?! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI