Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Private ships and auto-upgrades

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Private ships and auto-upgrades Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 12:15:55 AM   
HectorOfTroy

I've been playing this game for a long time, but as you all know this game has so many aspects so we always need to learn new things .

My question is, if I play with manual design on do my private ships still get upgraded or do I have to upgrade them manually as I do with my military ships and stations?

Since we don't have any control over private ships I would think they still get auto-upgraded even if we have design on manual.
Post #: 1
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 2:37:33 AM   
Sarissofoi

I played with only manual designed ships and yes fragihters was upgraded by civilian sector.

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 2
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 2:44:06 AM   
balto

You sure about that? I do not have access to any of my saved games where I presently am at. So are you saying that if you call up a game that you have played well into the Tech tree that the civilian ships have the upgraded fuel tanks and reactors and engines?

I am not saying you are wrong, but if that is correct, that is great. I thought Manual meant Manual for ALL ships and bases.

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 3
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 3:05:57 AM   
jpwrunyan

I update my designs for new hyperdrives, etc but just assumed old designs stayed in service.
I dont know though.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 4
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 3:26:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

The private sector will retrofit ships, but on its own schedule. Older ships may stay in service for quite a while.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jpwrunyan)
Post #: 5
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 3:45:49 AM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

I've been playing this game for a long time, but as you all know this game has so many aspects so we always need to learn new things .

My question is, if I play with manual design on do my private ships still get upgraded or do I have to upgrade them manually as I do with my military ships and stations?

Since we don't have any control over private ships I would think they still get auto-upgraded even if we have design on manual.

You have to manually design your private sector ships if you play with manual design on.

Post #: 6
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 5:04:45 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

Hmm, if I undesrtood correctly, Eric just said they get updated automatically.

I was thinking about this and as we know when AI suggests upgrade and we accept it it only upgraded state ships (military, explorer, construction) and state build bases (defensive, resort, research). I have never seen private ships lining up and retrofitting at the same time.

Maybe they do at a later date, as Eric said,

Eric can you please confirm if private ships still auto-retrofit even if we design on manual?

You have to manually design your private sector ships if you play with manual design on.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 7
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 5:11:03 AM   
feelotraveller

Oh, sorry I though you were talking about the designs getting upgraded.

Post #: 8
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 5:14:16 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

Oh, sorry I though you were talking about the designs getting upgraded.

Yeah I didn't word it properly.

I'll try again.

If we have design on manual, will private sector ships still auto-designed and then retrofitted?

As I said before when we have auto-design on and Ai suggests a retrofit, we only get to retrofit our military, explorer, construction ships and our bases (except mines).

< Message edited by HectorOfTroy -- 12/12/2011 5:16:30 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 5:16:47 AM   
feelotraveller

I have seen private ships refit to updated designs I have made with design on manual. (Not that often, mind you, but I have seen it...)

Edit: I think that what confused me is that I do not know of a way to manually upgrade private ships. I think this is not possible, no?

< Message edited by feelotraveller -- 12/12/2011 5:17:57 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 5:27:39 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

I have seen private ships refit to updated designs I have made with design on manual. (Not that often, mind you, but I have seen it...)

Edit: I think that what confused me is that I do not know of a way to manually upgrade private ships. I think this is not possible, no?

Nope, I don't think that we can retrofit them manually. As Eric said they get retrofitted on their own schedule.

Post #: 11
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 1:40:00 PM   
HectorOfTroy

Anyone?

Post #: 12
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 3:41:54 PM   
Grisha

Erik,
I'm currently playing a game with everything automated. The focus point is one ship, a small freighter. I'm into the third year now of nothing but observing this one private ship going about its business. It's actually been pretty neat to watch.

I did notice that the ship tried to go in for a retrofit but cancelled it before it got to that point. It may have had to do with a manual upgrade to the small freighter design I tried to insert (the automated design process rejected it by assigning it as not the latest design).

As an aside, it's pretty cool watching the exploits of this one ship and crew. They spent months doing nothing as Caslon was not an available resource initially, but over time colonies sprung up and transport jobs started happening. So far, it's mostly been about moving gases, but there were two jobs that hauled gold and carbon fibre, but those were intrasystem transport jobs.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The private sector will retrofit ships, but on its own schedule. Older ships may stay in service for quite a while.

Regards,

- Erik

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 13
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 3:51:58 PM   
Grisha

HectorOfTroy,
I think the way it works is that you have no direct control of the private sector. You can influence them, but you can't make them do anything. I generally play with manual ship design and so I make all the design upgrades for everything, both state and private. I have seen newer private ship designs along with the old out there, but it's never been done by me directly. I do know that private ships will go in for retrofits because I'm playing an automated game and only observing this one small freighter. It has gone in for a retrofit once.

< Message edited by Grisha -- 12/12/2011 3:53:13 PM >

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

(in reply to Grisha)
Post #: 14
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 5:54:09 PM   
Elshar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha
Erik,
I'm currently playing a game with everything automated. The focus point is one ship, a small freighter. I'm into the third year now of nothing but observing this one private ship going about its business. It's actually been pretty neat to watch.

I did notice that the ship tried to go in for a retrofit but cancelled it before it got to that point. It may have had to do with a manual upgrade to the small freighter design I tried to insert (the automated design process rejected it by assigning it as not the latest design).

As an aside, it's pretty cool watching the exploits of this one ship and crew. They spent months doing nothing as Caslon was not an available resource initially, but over time colonies sprung up and transport jobs started happening. So far, it's mostly been about moving gases, but there were two jobs that hauled gold and carbon fibre, but those were intrasystem transport jobs.

That's pretty awesome. I'll probably give that a try. Did you have a lot of empires in your game? Curious about watching a fleet, maybe.

(in reply to Grisha)
Post #: 15
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 6:41:52 PM   
Gzu

quote:

Nope, I don't think that we can retrofit them manually. As Eric said they get retrofitted on their own schedule.

Well there is a solution, but little evil
You can scrap manually old ships in ships&bases screen.
Then private sector will order new one in your spaceport.
You will have some extra cash and up to date commerce fleet
But i consider this solution as an expolit and i only use it when i really need to. Example passaneger ships and massive passanger compartment module.

Post #: 16
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/12/2011 7:20:07 PM   
Grisha

I'm actually playing it now and it's at max galaxy settings with 19 races. Only into 2758 at present. There's one fleet formed by the military and they've eradicated a pirate base that was sitting on a system with Caslon. My freighter had to flee one system due to pirates but it was never close to being harmed.

Observing a fleet could be interesting especially with a character admiral leading. I like the single freighter idea, however, because it's such a small thing that is influenced by forces that have little to do with military political concerns. Sort of like life. In other words, it's like watching Mal and his crew on Serenity making a living out in the Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Elshar
That's pretty awesome. I'll probably give that a try. Did you have a lot of empires in your game? Curious about watching a fleet, maybe.

Best regards,
Greg Guerrero

(in reply to Elshar)
Post #: 17
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/13/2011 12:07:44 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grisha

HectorOfTroy,
I think the way it works is that you have no direct control of the private sector. You can influence them, but you can't make them do anything. I generally play with manual ship design and so I make all the design upgrades for everything, both state and private. I have seen newer private ship designs along with the old out there, but it's never been done by me directly. I do know that private ships will go in for retrofits because I'm playing an automated game and only observing this one small freighter. It has gone in for a retrofit once.

Im not really interested in retrofitting the private ships. I'm just concerned that if I have design on manual the private ships will not get design upgrades and get retrofitted. Basically I don't want to manually design new private ships, I want this to be left to AI, while I only design military ships.
Is that possible when having design on manual?

(in reply to Grisha)
Post #: 18
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/13/2011 12:57:08 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, just multi-select the private ships from time to time and "Upgrade Selected". That will take care of most of it. In the second official update, you'll be able to set each ship class to either automated or manual design, which will make this much easier.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 19
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/13/2011 1:14:40 AM   
Bison36

quote:

In the second official update, you'll be able to set each ship class to either automated or manual design, which will make this much easier.

This is awesome.

Post #: 20
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/13/2011 2:29:23 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

Yes, just multi-select the private ships from time to time and "Upgrade Selected". That will take care of most of it. In the second official update, you'll be able to set each ship class to either automated or manual design, which will make this much easier.

Regards,

- Erik

Wow, this is great news . Elliot and Eric/Matrix rock!!!

Post #: 21
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/13/2011 3:16:32 AM   
Klahn

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Sweet! Seriously great job to all involved in this wonderful game. It's exactly what I've been seeking for quite a while. The game itself is top notch and the support has been nothing short of fantastic.

Post #: 22
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/13/2011 2:43:54 PM   
Data

That would indeed be a great feature....wave after wave of improvments; Elliot spoils us

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 23
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/13/2011 7:47:02 PM   
ehsumrell1

Who says that this game ISN'T the now, NEW number 1 in this genre!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 24
RE: Private ships and auto-upgrades - 12/13/2011 9:20:07 PM   
hewwo

Ha, oke yeah I also really like the way they keep supporting the game, but tbh, stuff like this should have been in the game in the first place!

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Who says that this game ISN'T the now, NEW number 1 in this genre!

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Private ships and auto-upgrades Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI