Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/21/2011 9:39:15 PM   
DasTactic

Introduction

This is going to be a collaborative 'Let's Play' AAR, or more accurately a DAR (During Action Report). I will play the role of an empire's bureaucracy - the underlings who grease the gears and do the doing. You will play the role of the empire's governing body. Your will is my command. If the general consensus takes us into areas I don't agree with then so be it. Hopefully it will be a lot of fun.

Each episode will be videoed and uploaded to YouTube. The next post in this thread will contain the links to each episode. Next to each episode will also be a link to the post containing the objectives and decisions arising from that episode.

The goal is to leave each video at a point requiring a strategic decision. I'll try to cover the options available as best I can in the video and also list them for discussion here in this thread. You, as the governing body, will then direct me, as the bureaucratic middle management, with what actions to take. I'll make what I would consider the 'no-brainer' decisions as befitting middle management but leave the higher level decisions to your collaborative efforts.

Once we get started I'll be using italics like this to 'comment' about the process and to address outside-the-game items.
Roman text like this will be used for in-game or in-character communication.

While it will be left to me to interpret the goals and wishes of the governing body I will try to add weight to directives that are delivered 'in character' over directives that are delivered 'out of character'. All advice will be considered though, so don't feel you have to play a role if that makes you feel uncomfortable. To be honest I considered trying to narrate what was happening in the videos 'in character' but I think that would be a problem and also be highly embarrassing.

Let's all have a bit of fun with this.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 11/24/2011 9:58:00 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/21/2011 9:39:35 PM   
DasTactic

Full Video Playlist

Episode 1: Weak and Thirsty : Discussion from here.

Episode 2: Spice Trade : Discussion from here.

Episode 3: Trade and Treaties : Discussion from here.

Episode 4: Fleet Exercises : Discussion from here.

Episode 5: The Sharp End : Discussion from here.

Episode 6: Medical Attention : Discussion from here.

Episode 7: Police Action : Discussion from here.

Episode 8: Invasion : Discussion from here.

Episode 9: Pirates and Silver Mist : Discussion from here.

Episode 10: Pax Secura : Discussion from here.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 12/2/2011 7:14:47 PM >

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 2
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/21/2011 9:41:11 PM   
DasTactic

Preparation:

First decision to be made:

1. What race shall we play?

2. What shape galaxy should we start with?

3. What size galaxy?

4. How many other races?

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 3
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/21/2011 9:48:33 PM   
ASHBERY76

1. Human
2. Spiral
3. 1000
4. All of them.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 4
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/21/2011 10:11:44 PM   
Nedrear

1.Random
2.Spiral
3.1400 15x15
4. All

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 11/22/2011 12:17:02 AM >

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 5
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/21/2011 10:47:14 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Das123

Preparation:

First decision to be made:

1. What race shall we play?

2. What shape galaxy should we start with?

3. What size galaxy?

4. How many other races?

1. Random race

2: Irregular (that is a shape, right?)

3: I assume Legends so 15x15 and about 700 stars - distances are fun.

4: About 15 if 700 stars.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 6
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/21/2011 11:54:02 PM   
DasTactic

Arg. And you guys know how much I hate playing as the humans. 

< Message edited by Das123 -- 11/24/2011 9:36:23 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 12:17:36 AM   
Nedrear

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nedrear

1.Random
2.Spiral
3.1400 15x15
4. All

As you command my liege.

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 8
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 12:26:56 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

The new racial victory conditions should change it a bit.Get that GOLD.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 9
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 4:17:25 AM   
DasTactic

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

quote:

The new racial victory conditions should change it a bit.Get that GOLD.

True, true. :)

< Message edited by Das123 -- 11/24/2011 9:36:43 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 10
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 7:03:52 AM   
J HG T

1. Random or the one you have most fun playing with. That doesn't necessarily mean your favourite race.

2. Spiral or ring.

3. Largest possible from performance perspective.

4. All of them. Just to see how new victory conditions work out.

And excellent idea BTW! This should be so much fun.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 11
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 7:44:46 AM   
DasTactic

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T
1. Random or the one you have most fun playing with. That doesn't necessarily mean your favourite race.

I tried playing the start of two different games over the weekend to gauge strategic choice with this project in mind. What I found was that playing a race like the Ackadians (or whatever they are called) there was a slow build-up and the galaxy was pretty much populated before anything requiring strategic choices arose. This is fine but it means the AAR will start in the middle game.

Next I played a game as the Boskarans (or whatever they are called). In this game because of the animosity of those around me the strategic choices arose much earlier. I don't really have a favourite but I do find playing races like the humans it is more a game about creating a Federation and trade network than about fighting over rare resources.

I do agree with ASHBERY76's comments that the changes in Legends will make for very different game-play. So I really don't mind what race we try (although I'm secretly hoping it is one of the hive minds or reptiles).

< Message edited by Das123 -- 11/24/2011 9:37:14 PM >

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 12
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 8:07:22 AM   
Data

quote:

Once we get started please feel free to give yourself an in-character name and title.

Hell yeaahh, have seen few aar's or lp's doing this but these are the most fun ones. Thank you, Das.

1. Securans

2. Varied clusters

3. The biggest possible For gameplay actually a smaller one would be good but I always favor gigantic maps

4. Max

< Message edited by Data -- 11/22/2011 8:10:08 AM >

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 13
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 8:47:31 AM   
Seraphim_slith

1, Atuuk.

2. Spiral.

3. 700.

4. 17 others.

Edit: Seeing your hoping for a Hiver race the Gizureans might make an amusing choice instead of the crazy monkeys...

< Message edited by Seraphim -- 11/22/2011 8:50:53 AM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 14
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 12:02:15 PM   
HectorOfTroy

Ackdarian please, they are so cute :). hopefully there will be no seal-clubbers in the galaxy :)

(in reply to Seraphim_slith)
Post #: 15
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/22/2011 12:15:05 PM   
feelotraveller

1. Ikkuro, Ketarov or Zenox. One of the in between races for choices.

2. Varied Clusters

3. Most stars, biggest map that your comp will handle.

4. All of them.

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 16
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/23/2011 2:15:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

Quite a consensus so far, let me throw a vote for Ugnari into the mix.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 17
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/23/2011 4:54:14 PM   
DasTactic

Preparation:

OK. Game downloaded. Manual skimmed. Game started and had a quick look around. Let's get this show on the road.

1. What race shall we play? We'll go with Random.

2. What shape galaxy should we start with? Spiral

3. What size galaxy? 1000 (but I'll set colonies to uncommon)

4. How many other races? 19 - It's going to be crowded.

First video will need to play out a bit. I'll post when it's done.

--------------------------------- EDIT ------------------------------

Uploading Episode 1 now...

< Message edited by Das123 -- 11/23/2011 7:07:25 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 18
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/23/2011 7:18:38 PM   
DasTactic

Episode 1: Weak and Thirsty

Watch the video...

Data got his wish and we find ourselves playing as the Securans in the Leentaar system.

You will form the Leentaar Council of Elders - charged with harmonising the galaxy and promoting good will amongst races - as long as they are friendly.

I'll let the video set the scene but the main decisions for you, the Leentaar Council of Elders, need to make are:

1. Some say our beloved leader is not selfless enough. Shall we get rid of her?

2. Our ship designs are too weak. These need some love. Peace through strength!

3. Our economy is in tatters. What should we do?

If you see something else that needs addressing please raise it during this Council meeting. We magnanimously leave the floor open to discussion.

< Message edited by Das123 -- 11/24/2011 9:37:52 PM >

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 19
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/23/2011 8:35:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Looking forward to this...

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 20
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/23/2011 10:12:50 PM   
Nedrear

5 (2+3 Focus 3)

Hara Lemuno

"I say we have to defend what is important. If the pirates want to sabotage our fuel stations, let them run into a military behemoth and finish them once and for all. We don't have time or fuel to send fleets there. It needs to stand alone! Oh and I think our leader does great. Her daily approach to counil meetings and her overall personality only proves that our Utopia can survive anything... or allow anything."

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 11/23/2011 10:50:54 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/23/2011 11:12:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

Interesting start with the lack of fuel in the home system and the peace-loving Securans. If this was not a Harsh start then we got a bit unlucky (or lost too many mining stations to the pirates in those first four years). You almost sounded disappointed that we wouldn't be able to kick butt, but you made an excellent point about removing races that we can't make treaties with from the galaxy to help us with our victory conditions.

When I start with a fuel crunch and major resource shortages, I generally park a fleet on the system with my gas mining stations and keep it there, and also sometimes build some defensive bases next to my gas mining stations. Also build a few extra construction ships and queue a gas mining station on every gas giant with Caslon that you have found.

I think we should prioritize our research of Fusion so that we can start using Hydrogen instead of Caslon. We also have a lot of money, so for the time being I would contact all the pirates and pay for protection and even alliances until we are ready with our Fusion research. That should keep our gas mining stations safe until we can protect them ourselves. Conversely, we also have enough money to build a larger destroyer fleet and try to get rid of the pirate threat in a more direct way.

With the other resource issues, I think we're much better off buying off the pirates.

Try to negotiate a deal with the Zenox. Give them a large gift, then offer territory maps and some money in exchange for their territory map. Offer them a technology or more money if you can, then send our ambassador to their home world to try to get a free trade agreement. Chances are they have extra Steel and Polymer as it's unusual to have a severe shortage of those as we are experiencing right now and they are vital to most construction projects.

Also queue up as many mining stations on steel and polymer sites as you possibly can and protect the ones you have.

You've noticed that the pirates are a bit better armed than they were previously. They like to win.

I vote for keeping our Leader, she has definitely improved and should continue to do so as long as we keep our economy and diplomacy from imploding.

Keep a close eye on the Boskarans.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 22
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/23/2011 11:59:11 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

Strongly recommend you move to expose the Zenox threat for what it truly is: A ploy! They are simply too smug to trust.

Post #: 23
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/24/2011 12:03:12 AM   
feelotraveller

I agree with Erik.

Get the trade going with the Zenox as priority number 1. That should hopefully alleviate the steel/polymer crisis.

As these stocks flow again queue some construction projects - all Caslon sources, the polymer world and then some more steel. Putting a couple of extra shields and a few weapons on our bases (particularly our gas mining concerns as the pirates seem particularly attracted to these) is recommended.

Once steel/polymer allows start to build up some destroyers. I suggest maximum size (230? or maybe we have 300?... I don't have Legends yet), no troops, three shields, max weapons for energy (=7 maxos but we may have better) 2 reactors, 4 armour, rest as engines/thrusters. (If size 300 probably an extra shield or two, some more armour, and more energy efficient weapons.) May well have enough room to get to 39 speed (remember Kaltors travel at 34...). Build at least 3, but maybe 4 or 5 of these as a pirate base destroying fleet. Set to flee at shields 50. Send them to Caslon base nearest pirates (protection plus refueling) as they are built. Oh, if we do not already know where the pirate bases are we will have to search for them. Pay protection only if the pirates are about to shoot us up again and we can't take them on.

Once we have enough ships, we may need more if they have a fleet at their base, take the pirates down. Go for the weaker of the two factions first (probably whichever has had less success against us) since we can do so earlier and stand a chance of the other faction joining us.

I would back our current leader. She seems to have taken to the role well.

Short term our economy doesn't look too bad. In the longer haul we should be looking to make the most of resort income, once it is possible.

Post #: 24
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/24/2011 12:04:53 AM   
Bingeling

Lack of fuel. Is something changed? I had explored quite a few systems until I found my first caslon source. I did not have a problem thought, the initial stock lasted until I found some.

I also after a while had 3 nice colonies (I think 2 were independents) sitting near each other, and not a caslon source for quite some distance. On the other hand, a different colony far away had 3 caslons sources in the system...

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 25
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/24/2011 12:16:56 AM   
Nedrear

Seems the choice and RP part quickly changed into a full blown strategic micromanage meeting in detail. How shall he make a democratic choice out of this? You don't vote your goverment by debatting the whole future plans of the party on the voting bill.

< Message edited by Nedrear -- 11/24/2011 12:17:25 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 26
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/24/2011 12:27:38 AM   
Erik Rutins

Whoops, I missed the part about posting in-character. I will correct that for my next bit of advice.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 27
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/24/2011 12:46:10 AM   
feelotraveller

As far as I can tell we are debating party policy rather than voting for a leader. Or would you like to move a vote of no confidence in Das123?

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 28
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/24/2011 12:54:22 AM   
Erik Rutins

I think Ned was referring to this part from Das123's first post:

quote:

Extra weight to decisions will be given to role-played posts. :) Once we get started please feel free to give yourself an
in-character name and title.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 29
RE: DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR - 11/24/2011 1:00:41 AM   
Fishers of Men

Thank you for receiving me today Leader of the High Council; My advice to you on the matter of dealing with our pirate scourge is to pay for their protection, for now, until we can rebuild our gas mining stations and get our flow of Caslon back. I would next place all scientific resources into the Hygrogen reactor project so that we will not depend totally on Caslon. My next suggestion would be to improve the Utopian Fleet by adding an energy collector to the Frigate design with an additional reactor, then add an additional reactor to our Destroyer design. This will keep their shields up quicker and allow all weapons to fire fully. I would next suggest we find the Zenox homeworld quickly and send our most attractive ambassador to greet them with friendship. Then we could get a fuel arrangement with them.

I hope these ideas meet with your approval.

Your humble servant; Fishers of Men

< Message edited by Fishers of Men -- 11/24/2011 1:43:48 AM >

Old............but very fast

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> After Action Reports >> DW Legends: Collaborative Video AAR Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI