Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The choice of scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The choice of scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The choice of scenarios - 12/5/2002 12:37:59 PM   
Fred98

Obviously the longest scenario will be 3 ¾ years or thereabouts. This is approx 45 months

Some players will go the full banana but many of us will play shorter scenarios. The following is my suggestion for shorter scenarios:

2 scenarios that each last 1/2 of the full term – 22.5 months each

4 scenarios that each last 1/4 of the full term – 11.25 months each

7 or 8 scenarios, each lasting 6 months or thereabouts (except for one of them which will be shorter) thereby covering the whole 45 months in steps of approx 6 months.

15 scenarios that each last 3 months – thereby covering the whole 45 months.

A group of small operations, where the term is 15 days to 30 days, covering specific operations in the Pacific War.
Post #: 1
- 12/5/2002 10:50:28 PM   
Jeremy Pritchard

Well, knowing how long it takes to make scenarios, I think that asking for 30+ different scenarios is a bit much.

Pacific War originally had 5 scenarios (with 2 shortened versions based off of original scenarios, i.e., Rising Sun used the Campaign 41 scenario but only lasted 6 months). This really is more then enough.

I see them creating a good series of scenarios (possibly 6 instead of 5, with at least one per year, i.e., 1941, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1945 along with possible alterations (i.e., a Guadalcanal scenario where the IJN won the Battle of Midway), but that is all that they can spend toward making them.

There is A LOT of work in creating scenarios. You not only have to get the correct troop, ship, aircraft, deployement, but also the correct reinforcement schedule (even if a scenario starts a month from another scenario, every single reinforcement has to have their arrival date modified). I would like to see...

#1. 1941 Campaign (December 7 1941-45)
#2. 1942 Campaign (post Midway 1942-45)
#3. 1943 Campaign (pre-Tarawa 1943-45)
#4. 1944 Campaign (pre-Marianas 1944-45)
#5. 1945 Campaign (pre-Okinawa 1945)

These 5 basic scenarios will allow for starting points throughout each of the 5 years of the war. They will also allow for 'alternate beginnings', such as..

#1. 1941 Rising Sun (runs the first 6 months of the war 1941-Mid 42)
#2. 1942 Guadalcanal (runs into early 1943 1942-Jan 43)
#6. 1942 Based on 1942 a modified Campaign (Japan wins at Midway 1942-45)

1943 does not really suit well for a series of 6 month campaigns. It was a comparatively quiet period, where the United States slowly pushed Japan back from their forward positions to prepare for the major attacks which would occur in 1944.

#4. 1944 Marianas-Philippines (runs from the middle of 1944 to 1945, 1944-Jan 45)

the #5 1945 Scenario is pretty much a 6 month scenario anyway.

This pretty much covers the major highlights of the Pacific War. It would also only require only 5-6 core scenarios (with the remaining based off of the other scenarios, but of a shortened duration).

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 2
- 12/6/2002 6:32:38 AM   
Fred98

Yes you make good points.

It seems to me that a PBEM game cannot last more than 60 days in real time because sometimes things go wrong. The opponent’s computer crashes, the opponent has a change in lifestyle or something unexpected happens.

A 3 month scenario, with the turn length set at 2 days, will take about 45 days to play. When you add on the occasional day when we cannot play turns because of business or personal commitments, it probably takes 60 days to play a 3 month scenario.

Therefore my preference is to have a series of 3 month scenarios, which, taken together, cover the full term.

It is a shame this was not done with Uncommon Valour, not even in 6 month scenarios.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 3
- 12/6/2002 8:06:01 AM   
Snigbert

You could always start a longer scenario specifying a stop date after 3 months or something and compare scores when you reach that date.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 4
- 12/7/2002 1:05:55 AM   
Hoplosternum

Jeremy and Joe (& Snigbert :) ),

I would like to see a pre-Coral Sea scenario that then runs to the end of the war. Starting April/May 1942. I remember playing Pacific War and wishing there was such a start so we would not have to play through the initial japanese Expansion phase.

While many people will want to play the early game it is a bit one sided, especially for email games. This can be dull for both sides. What ever is done it is always possible that some ahistoric move will become the norm too. Such as ignoring the Philipines and Burma as the Japanese and taking Pearl and Nomuea instead. Or as the Allies rush everything from Java and Singapore to hold Rabul etc. Some people will like the early flexibility but some will simply want to answer the question - could I have done better as either the Japanese or the Allies at Coral Sea, Midway and beyond.

If you want to cut some scenarios out, I would lessen the number of late war scenarios. These are hardly contests of skill. Despite the sometimes horrendous loss of life as the US dug the Japanese out of the Atolls and Islands and the kamikazies the issue is no longer in doubt. Why play from either side? If you can win or even significantly delay the Allied advance by 1944 playing as the Japanese with Real life 1944 Japanese forces then there is probably something wrong with the AI or mechanics of the game.

I understand what you are saying about having 'chapters' of say 3 months, but there will be many of us (me included) who are only really interested in the longer open ended scenarios. I always hate those 'last few turn' grab any VPs going tactics as games draw to a close. Even if finishing such a scenario is not very realistic I always like to play as if it is :)

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 5
- 12/7/2002 9:46:20 AM   
TIMJOT

I would like at least one alternate history scenerio starting Nov. 41. to allow for a non-pearl harbor option. Other than that and the enire historical campaign scenerio. I would also like a short 42-43 scenerio (Days of Decision Scenerio?). A pre-coral sea, post Japan conqest scenerio (Hinge of Fate scenerio?). Personally I dont see the need for any short late war scenerio (too one sided and boreing) or a Guadacanal scenerio (just play UV):D

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The choice of scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI