Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Automatic restart condition - no fuel in home system

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Automatic restart condition - no fuel in home system Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Automatic restart condition - no fuel in home system - 10/21/2015 11:17:24 PM   
jacozilla

So I have to say after 3k+ hours in Civ 5, I've gotten to basically be an ironman player in just about every 4x game I play. I never save other than maybe to backup every now and then in case of game crash, and I just accept whatever 'turn' happens.

But in DW-U, I have one condition which I do kinda bronze man as a rule, and that's if my random game start has a home system with zero gas giants.

I completed a game recently where my home system had zero gas giants, and it was a massive pain. My huge mega shipyard would crank out ships but there'd be no fuel to fill them up, so with almost empty tanks they had to limp to closest system to refuel before even being ready to assign for something.

Yes, I did the obvious workarounds. Build resupply ships as fast as possible, go park to start building up huge cargo of fuel and then eventually park them in my home system to server as military ship fuel depot as civilian ships don't use resupply ships, but it was still a pain - especially as it took awhile to eventually get energy to fuel conversion tech.

Not sure why the private sector didn't just move and stockpile massive amount of H/Ca fuel at my home system (overall stock I had huge amount, just not at my home system).

But anyway, that is so far my one condition for auto restart when I open a new game and see my home system doesn't even have a single gas giant in it.
Post #: 1
RE: Automatic restart condition - no fuel in home system - 10/22/2015 12:39:56 PM   
Bingeling

I take it that you are not playing pre-warp :)

(in reply to jacozilla)
Post #: 2
RE: Automatic restart condition - no fuel in home system - 10/22/2015 1:22:00 PM   
jacozilla

Oh i do. I start pre-warp in 100% of normal games i want to play, and only do more advanced starts to experiment with stuff - like my latest obsession trying to figure out if i can ever get a hybrid system of auto/manual retrofitting to work the way i want.

Pre-warp starts is my cup of tea - its kinda ala civ series where you start with one warrior, a mud hut village, and build your empire from there. Pirates are a pain in pre-warp but it adds a good challenge.

Only thing i dont really do is disasters which normally disable - except for the moment as i chase legendary pirates achievement - and space creatures - i dont find they really add much to the game and are just an annoyance to be an annoyance.

Pirates can be annoying, but they influence your tactical and strategy play, definitely. But space creatures basically do nothing outside of trigger annoying popups. They are never strong enough to be anything but a meaningless side show, so i just turn them off. The ones i can at any rate - the respawning sand worms on worlds with spice is also a meaningless sideshow. No world isnt going to have at least a bare bones station with med/rec modules to help colony - and all you need are bare bones weapons to kill the respawning sand worm.

So the constant, annoying warning and notice off sand worm attack is beyond meaningless - with the caveat of course it is relative to me. It may be amusing and meaningful to others. But i define meaningless as does not influence way i play tactically or strategically in any layer of the 4x decision making.

If space creatures were like pirate faction level then i'd probably enable them - because then i'd have to actually play against then. As it is, all pre warp does is make the first slugs be 'strong' enough to make your exploration ships run, and thats it. Apwith exception of that story event loc, the one with horde of scorpion type creatures that insta-gibs whatever lone ship finds them, dpace creatures are just a popup notice to always be ignored.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Automatic restart condition - no fuel in home system Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI