Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Scorched Earth - 1.05 GC 1941-45 sj80 (Axis) vs. glvaca (Sovjet) - no glvaca

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Scorched Earth - 1.05 GC 1941-45 sj80 (Axis) vs. glvaca (Sovjet) - no glvaca Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Scorched Earth - 1.05 GC 1941-45 sj80 (Axis) vs. glvaca... - 1/27/2012 10:20:20 AM   
sj80

I started a new GC game with glvaca after two weeks of waiting for a response from my last opponent. Those two weeks were really boring.

My first turn is almost standard. Pushing the tanks as far as possible and encircle as many Sovjets as possible. But I could only destroy 3.3k planes.
I'm really looking forward to heavy fights with glvaca.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sj80 -- 4/13/2012 2:51:43 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Scorched Earth - 1.05 GC 1941-45 sj80 (Axis) vs. gl... - 1/27/2012 11:13:52 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: sj80

I started a new GC game with glvaca after two weeks of waiting for a response from my last opponent.

I've had an opponent give up after 2 turns, but never before have I heard of one giving up before doing a single turn.

A decisive win by anyone's standards

PS I don't count Beamter's game where his opponent seems to have long surrendered before accepting the game.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 2
RE: Scorched Earth - 1.05 GC 1941-45 sj80 (Axis) vs. gl... - 1/28/2012 8:30:15 PM   
sj80

Hi sillyflower, we played up to turn 7 and then no more sign from my last opponent.

But new game, new fun. Here is the update for Axis turn 2.
AGC in luck, tanks of Panzergruppe 3 created a small bridgehead over the Dnepr. OKH ordered to hold and extend that bridgehead at all costs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 3
RE: Scorched Earth - 1.05 GC 1941-45 sj80 (Axis) vs. gl... - 3/8/2012 10:37:22 AM   
sj80

The game has progressed further and it's time to update the AAR. Here is Axis turn 3.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 4
Axis Turn 4 - 3/12/2012 9:02:17 PM   
sj80

Complete overview of front line at end of Axis turn 4.

Especially Army Group South is forced to fight very deep in Sovjet territory, the Sovjets are massively fortifying the Dnepr.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis Turn 4 - 3/12/2012 9:09:21 PM   
smokindave34

You seem to be off to a very good start.....I'd cut some of 17th army loose and move them east. Let you minor allies and a few divisions of 17th army clean up the Lvov pocket. Keep putting pressure on the Red army's forward defenses.

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis Turn 4 - 3/12/2012 9:15:11 PM   
Q-Ball

That is good advice; leave the bare minimum to contain/reduce the Lvov pocket, and get 17th Army moving east.

I typically leave Lvov to a single German Corps, plus the Slovaks, Hungarians, and the Romanian Mountain units.

They aren't going anywhere, there is no particular rush to liquidate them, other than moving on to bigger things

(in reply to smokindave34)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis Turn 4 - 3/13/2012 8:01:22 PM   
sj80

Thanks for your response smokindave and Q-Ball. Yes, moving forward with 17. Army has a higher priority. But the liquidation of Lvov pocket takes much longer when the Sovjet player stacks his units into the moutains or rough terrain.

Here is a short update of the major battle areas at Axis turn 5. Unfortunatly I couldn't create any new pockets this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 8
Axis Turn 6 - 3/23/2012 12:50:13 PM   
sj80

The game is progressing fast and I'm really enjoying it. So I will show some highlights of our game to get the AAR moving fast forward.

Glvaca is a very good Sovjet player and he really tries to save his army and avoid encirclements. But in turn 6 my LIV. PzCorps outflanked his defense of the southern Dnepr near Crimera landbridges. At least one Sovjet Army is now encircled. This is the first major encirclement since the initial encirclements.
As usual he is retreating into the next defense line in the upper southern area, but 1. Panzer crossed the Dnepr on his flank to keep the pressure high.

Other events in turn 6:
*AGN is preparing to cross the Luga.
*AGC is struggeling forward.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 9
Axis Turn 7 - 3/26/2012 7:30:58 PM   
sj80

Here is a complete overview of Axis turn 7. I've seen that glvaca has opened an own AAR with already 4 pages, woah. But I have no access there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 10
Axis Turn 7 - 3/26/2012 7:32:25 PM   
sj80

Sorry, double posting.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sj80 -- 3/27/2012 7:12:42 PM >

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 11
Axis Turn 9 - 3/27/2012 7:48:44 AM   
sj80

Here is an overview of turn 8 and 9.

Turn 8: Not much happening. AGN is fighting hard battles to throw the Sovjets out of the hills south of Pushkin. AGC is struggeling against strong Sovjet defense lines, the progress here is really bad compared to my early crossing of the Dnepr. The situation in AGS is not really better, his new defense line at Poltava is a hard nut. Especially AGC and AGS are restricted because of fuel/supply shortage. Sovjet strength is increasing because no new pockets were created.

Turn 9: Much better turn. AGN achieved a final breakthrough and decided the battle of Leningrad! AGC panzers changed direction again and created a medium encirclement. The way to Kaluga seems to be open now. AGS is still struggeling, but 11. Army gets in position to strike next turn. See the picture.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 12
RE: Axis Turn 9 - 3/27/2012 4:21:48 PM   
Scook_99

sj80, what map are you using in the close up screen shots? I really like the color coding of the towns. I am guessing the language is....Polish? I can adjust to that, but the 1st winter would be so much easier being able to find level 4 towns for my panzers to huddle in. Thanks!

BTW, turn 9? Wow. I have a feeling you may have an early win here. But, there are a lot of Soviets on the map, so that may be troubling.

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 13
RE: Axis Turn 9 - 3/27/2012 7:07:48 PM   
sj80

Hi Scook,
the towns are colored regarding to their size. The language is German.
The map is a mod, have a look here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2643336
As you mentioned, there are too many Sovjet units on the map. So I concentrate more on destroying Sovjet units.
Turn 10 was full of action and one big surprise. The Sovjets have launched an offensive against 11. Army.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 14
Axis Turn 11 - 3/31/2012 8:06:08 PM   
sj80

Here is the update for Axis Turn 11.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 15
Axis Turn 13 - 4/1/2012 4:46:11 PM   
sj80

Shot description of Axis turn 12:

*AGN: Leningrad cleared and Fins set free. Major attacks against Vladai hills.
*AGC: Pushing forward to Moscow, now new encirclements.
*AGS: Kharkov was captured (15 Arm), Stalino industry locked (20 Arm). Whole 1. Panzer at Stalino area.

Turn 13 was much more interesting. A real good turn for the Axis side. In the center I created a large pocket with 25 units. AGC Inf Divs broke through his defense, 2. and 3. Panzer exploits in direction north. 4. Panzer comes from the west and closes the pocket. Glvaca didn't expect such a massive attack in that direction and maybe he thought I need one more turn to transfer 4. Panzer to Moscow.
Now we can put a real threat on Moscow! The bad news are that he is digging like going wild. He has created some lvl 3 forts in front of Moscow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 16
Axis Turn 14 - 4/2/2012 10:00:16 AM   
sj80

The Sovjets started a major retreat in almost every area except Moscow. Axis forces captured Stalino and the Vladai Hills without a single fight.
The Sovjets broke the Rzesh encirclement with an attack from inside and a Cav Div connects the pocket, but he didn't used the situation for more attacks against my spearheads.

Here is an overview of complete front line at Axis Turn 14.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sj80 -- 4/2/2012 10:01:22 AM >

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 17
Axis Turn 15 - 4/2/2012 6:42:17 PM   
sj80

Most units of AGN and AGS are preparing for blizzard in turn 15. 1. Panzer and 6. Army are pushing towards Voronesh, the remaining 12 Arm factories in Tula are locked by XXX. PzCorps with 2 new PzDivs. I'm really amazed about their combat value of over 20! My other PzDivs do have a combat value between 5 and 8. I have a massive shortage on all kinds of AFV.
The major battles took place around Moscow, damn lvl 3 forts. Here is an overview of Moscow region.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 18
RE: Axis Turn 15 - 4/3/2012 3:42:03 PM   
Scook_99

Thank you for the link to the map, for some reason, I couldn't find it. I like your style of play, and are very opportunistic with what your opponent gives you. Good luck with the upcoming winter. It seems rare to have the German at the gate of Moscow when rain is in the air.......

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 19
Axis Turn 16 - 4/3/2012 4:39:47 PM   
sj80

Hey Scook, thanks again for your comments. I really enjoy this game, glvaca and I are playing on the same level.
I guarantee that the game will become very interesting during winter turns. We will get a really good final. The Wehrmacht will go "All In" for Moscow.

Here are the both battle spots of Axis turn 16. I will try to upload turn 17 today with a complete map and statistics.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 20
Axis Turn 17 - 4/4/2012 8:48:29 AM   
sj80

Here is the complete overview of Axis turn 17 including the both major battle spots Moscow and Voronesh. Also included are staticial details (strength, losses, conditions of my Pz/Mot divs) and my blizzard preparations. It would be nice if someone can comment my results.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 21
Preparations "Unternehmen Typhoon" - 4/4/2012 7:10:24 PM   
sj80

During mud not much happened, we had only some small battles at unimportant locations. I used the time to transform the 4. Panzer to the Moscow assault force. The Wehrmacht will go for a direct assault because 3 winter turns are too short for an encirclement. This is the first game where I try a direct assault on Moscow.
Unfortunatly I had to give up my attack on Voronesh, the spearheads of 1. Panzer were out of supply during mud and the defense value of this city was just too high.

Here is the planning of "Unternehmen Typhoon".

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 22
Moscow assault - 4/5/2012 3:58:40 PM   
sj80

With turn 22 the "Unternehmen Typhoon" has started and both light urban hexes of Moscow were conquered! See the picture ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 23
RE: Moscow assault - 4/5/2012 9:37:35 PM   
Remmes

Very nice AAR, makes me wanna play WITE right now. Thanks for sharing.

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 24
Moscow final assault - 4/7/2012 2:17:41 PM   
sj80

Hey Ramses,
thanks for your comments. I will try to add some semi-historic pictures because this will be much more interesting I think.

At week 23 the combined forces of AGN and AGC launched the final attack against Moscow and it wsa finaly captured! Here is the picture.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Remmes)
Post #: 25
Blizzard starts - 4/10/2012 12:36:55 PM   
sj80

The game progresses fast, unfortuntly I had no time to update the AAR. Here is an overview of the complete map with Axis strategy at first blizzard turn.

The Wehrmacht will defend Moscow! The OKH has ordered "Kämpfen und Siegen oder Untergehen" (fight and prevail or perish). I know he will give everything to recapture Moscow and if I can prevent that this will have a high psychological impact! Now glvaca is the attacker and I'm the defender.
2., 3. and 4. Panzer including elite Inf/Mountain divs will remain at Moscow area and will try to stabilize the front when necessary.
This strategy will have a large negative impact on the morale of my best units, but I will try to do counter attacks and place them in Level 2+ towns and cities whenever possible.

Short edit: I reduced TOE levels during the winter turns to:
Airbase: 50%
Constuction Units: 50%
All Support Units: 50% (Arty was 75% till campaign start)
Corps HQ: 75%
Support Units are always refiting and I want to prevent them from eating too many replacements.

Question: Does the reduced Corps Max TOE influence the supply/fuel that the units receive from their Corps HQ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sj80 -- 4/10/2012 12:48:20 PM >

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 26
RE: Blizzard starts - 4/10/2012 2:08:10 PM   
karonagames

You really don't have to run away in the blizzard. Allowing the Sovs to recover fatigue and gather supply out of a ZOC just makes them stronger, while you gain fatigue and lose supply by moving. He cant attack everywhere and the potential breakthroughs by cavalry and tank brigades are even fewer. He will take casualties for every hex he fights for, you will take casualties whether the hex is fought for or not. You may not be able to set up for a full linebacker defence as seen in my AARs, but you should be able to put a ZOC down behind your front line to prevent cavalry and tank brigade breakthroughs.

Also, keep a careful eye on the Crimea - the Rumanians and Italians are very fragile and you could find hordes of cossacks pouring out of the Crimea.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 4/10/2012 2:55:22 PM >

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 27
RE: Blizzard starts - 4/10/2012 5:02:47 PM   
Q-Ball

I have to disagree a bit with Bob; retreating is a valid tactic, though you probably don't need to surrender ground quite that much.

2 hexes in Blizzard constitutes an attack-proof buffer, because most Soviet Rifle units will expend 6 MPs a hex.

If you are going to retreat, make sure you stack units up. Because it's possible for CAV to reach out and attack you past 2 hexes, but not if you are stacked. And they won't have the MPs to infiltrate at all if you have pulled back.

Once Jan hits, you can stack 2-3 deep, and leave a hex in between, provided you pull back to leave a 1-hex barrier between yourself and the Soviets. This will greatly limit their ability to arrange enough units to get a Deliberate attack. If there is a 1-hex buffer, Soviet cav won't have the MPs to infiltrate unless they have high morale and make alot of rolls. Even then, you can deal with a single unit.

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 28
Middle of blizzard season - 4/13/2012 2:49:21 PM   
sj80

Hey BigA and QBall, sorry for the late answer but I was really busy the last days.
BigA: I'm really afraid of being ZOC locked and losing my divs. I've counted 13 Cav Corps and over 60 Cav Divs. I will stand and fight everywhere I have enough troops, good terrain or fortifications. But I can't be strong everywhere. My strategy for the open space in the south is to retreat until he is having a long supply path (e.g. 30) and then stop him or slow him down. I try to attack his forward forces where possible.
I the retreating areas I try to put a ZOC to him with placing security regiments or week allied units next to his units.

Qball: Your strategy with stacking units and leaving a space hex between sounds interesting, I will try it.

Glvaca and I arrived at 31 (15 January 1942) and until that date the blizzard was a real success for the Sovjets. The Wehrmacht has suffered high losses (40-50 Sovjet attacks every turn) and lost 3 Inf divs until now. I've never seen such a strong and effective Sovjet army in my multi player games before.

Until turn 30 I was convinced that I can hold Moscow. But last turn he breaked through my defense lines everywhere around Moscow. I'm really "happy" with the 2.0, 2.1 or 2.2 combat results at the most important locations. He also breakes my crimera landbridge with a 2.0 result.
I decided to retreat from Moscow because I have to sent my Panzer, Mot Inf and elite Inf divs backwards into reserve to protect their morale value. Otherwise their morale will be really ruined. Furthermore I need more inf divs to strengthen the defense at the Moscow flanks to prevent him from capturing Brjansk/Vyazma and to slow down my retreat in the area west of Kursk.

The Wehrmacht has lost until now three Inf divs (7., 62., 293.) and one regiment of 134. Inf div because of massive ZOC locking attempts. At the beginng I was really shocked about that strategy because I've never seen that before but the last turns he was not able to ZOC lock anything.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sj80 -- 4/13/2012 2:54:12 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 29
RE: Middle of blizzard season - 4/13/2012 3:01:38 PM   
Q-Ball

60 Cav Divisions?!? That can't be, unless he purchased ALOT.

Don't worry too much about the Morale of your Panzers. I used to, but I have come around on this. You will recover morale quickly when the weather turns; that's one of the main purposes of attacking in 1942, recovering morale. In fact, you should plan to rotate Infantry units into sectors you are attacking, for the sole purpose of pumping up morale. I did this extensively in my game vs. Smokingdave, and launched attacks in many sectors for the sole purpose of building morale, even when the loss ratios weren't really great. It's worth it for the long term.

One unit I would stash in Germany though for sure: GD Mot Regt. It doesn't provide alot of combat value, but you want it's morale to stay sky-high for when it expands to a division. You should finish the '41 campaign with this unit having a morale of 99; keep it there. Once it fills out at that morale, it's a monster.

That is unfortunate on Moscow. It is likely lost forever, if he focuses on holding it in '42, which he probably will. You will still have opportunities in the south for sure; if you lose Stalino, you will easily get it back.

PS: You didn't really inflict alot of casualties in your '41 campaign, so the Red Army was pretty large for Blizzard. This was why his offensive was nasty, I think.

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 4/13/2012 3:03:26 PM >

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Scorched Earth - 1.05 GC 1941-45 sj80 (Axis) vs. glvaca (Sovjet) - no glvaca Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI