Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to take Enemy Homeworld

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> How to take Enemy Homeworld Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/19/2012 7:40:40 AM   
Morwaul

I'm sure this has probably been gone over but I could not find the answer on the forum or Google.

I am fairly early in the game but I have managed to nearly wipe out a hostile neighbor that made the mistake of declaring war on me. All that is left if his Home World along with a bunch of civ ships. I tried sending troops to the world (about 20) but they got spanked. I tried bombarding the planet which worked except it drove the quality down to nothing. I currently have it blockaded so he cannot rebuild but it is not really affecting the planet.

Is there another way to take over a Homeworld that doesn't involve massive troops or reducing it to rubble? Some way to just kill the troops that are defending would be nice. If not, How many troops should I send? It looks like he has around 20 or 30 but when I attacked with 20 my 180k troops were up against 500k troops or somewhere around there.

Thanks a lot.
Post #: 1
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/19/2012 8:12:20 AM   
feelotraveller

Normal recommendations for troop ratios are about 3 to 1, in strength. Seems like you have weak troops and he has strong.

Bombarding should reduce the strength of his troops somewhat but they will regenerate health over time.

Your other options are blowing up the planet entirely (if you have the capacity) or accepting subjugation from your enemy if you can get it. The latter allows you to see what he is up to plus giving you 10% of his positive income.

(in reply to Morwaul)
Post #: 2
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/19/2012 12:12:53 PM   
Arcatus

This is a bit of an issue, and the dev's have recognized that ;)

In the next upcoming version (1.7.0.7) bombard damage to troops is increased. 1.7.0.7 is still in beta, but it works fine for most people, so you can give that a try or wait for the offical update that should be coming real soon.

I am still on 1.7.0.6, so what I currently do is that I used a modified troop transport with more troop modules - it reduces micromanagement and cost. It is still a significant effort to take your first home world as you need really overwhelming forces. But: after the first HW is conquered you can use the same troops to take the next HW, and so on. 

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 3
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/19/2012 12:55:27 PM   
onomastikon

How can you tell how many troops are on an enemy planet? I am in the same situation as the OP. The guy is next to me, helpless, with only his HW, but it seems to be full of troops. Got crushed the first time, lost my only general. Now, I am not sure how many troops are on there, since I see about 30 REALLY REALLY REALLY tiny icons I can barely make out with nose up against the screen. Are they actual troops? How strong? Are they in recrutation? Where's my microscope?

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 4
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/19/2012 7:54:20 PM   
Theluin

You can open the enemy targets list on the left side of the screen. The number of troops on a planet is listed below the planets name on that list.
Hope that helps
Theluin

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 5
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/20/2012 8:59:51 AM   
onomastikon

That helps a lot, thank you.
Sadly, I can only see that information if I am at war with that empire. Currently, I have him subjugated, and am at war with no-one, so I can only see pirates under "current targets", and thus I am still trying to differentiate those tiny little icons on his HW.

(in reply to Theluin)
Post #: 6
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/20/2012 9:55:38 AM   
Tomatoes

i have 2 policies depending on the planet.

A homeworld invasion should never be less than 50 troops in my opinion.

If I feel I can win it with 50-60 troops I will put my top general in their and invade.

Sometimes you come across a homeworld with rediculous stacks of troops.

In this instance I bombard the planet.

by the time the quality has hit 0% it will be uninhabited. At this point I will have a colony ship land on it and then build a teraforming facility.

Sorted :D

(in reply to onomastikon)
Post #: 7
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/20/2012 1:09:25 PM   
malkuth74

Think of it this way.  Think its hard for the AI homewords?  Imagine what it would be like if the AI actually tried to take yours.

Don't know about you but the player homeworld is a pretty scary place to think that could ever be lost after say mid game or so.

(in reply to Tomatoes)
Post #: 8
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/20/2012 4:11:12 PM   
Morwaul

Thanks for all the info. I finally built up enough and sent 80 troops with 2 troop generals. And now I have a new planet with loads of population. I did not know about the teraformer. Next time that might be easier.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 9
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/22/2012 5:01:03 AM   
Morwaul

Funny thing. After taking the home world mentioned above I set my troops and transports back to automated thinking it would cause the mass of troops I had gathered to be spread out throughout my empire. Sometime later my economy went into the red. I didn't think much of it as I had found a nest of abandoned capital ships and was bringing them online so I figured it would level out. Yet the economy kept getting worse. Finally at around -300k I started looking. The freaking AI went insane and I now have 960 troops. I figured I would just dismiss them but then I discover that I can only delete 1 troop at a time...WTF Really? Please tell me I have overlooked something and that there is a way to dismiss mass troops.

(in reply to Morwaul)
Post #: 10
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/22/2012 4:18:31 PM   
Tomatoes

That seems like it must be a bug or the AI has got stuck in a loop.

I never have troop recuitment on.

Even if I turn it on I do it for no more than 5 mins. This way it can anaylze all my colonies and recuit the troops it thinks they need.

Then i can turn it off before it goes mad.

Normally do it manual thow. Bit paranoid. Like to have well protected planets

(in reply to Morwaul)
Post #: 11
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/25/2012 5:34:48 PM   
Jerkface

Taking homeworlds is hard, as it should be.  Taking the Shakturi HW is even more fun.  The last time I played, I decided to just blow it up instead.  Shakturi dont make good slaves anyways.

(in reply to Tomatoes)
Post #: 12
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 1/30/2012 2:04:14 PM   
Jeeves

quote:

ORIGINAL: Morwaul

Thanks for all the info. I finally built up enough and sent 80 troops with 2 troop generals. And now I have a new planet with loads of population. I did not know about the teraformer. Next time that might be easier.

80 troops is a good figure in the first few years, but keep in mind later on in the game that home worlds recruit 8 troops per year and the population is worth about 20-60 troops depending upon race and home world population level. One way you can estimate how many troops are on the home world is to check the selection panel for the colony by clicking on the planet. Move your mouse button along the line of troops to just before the end. The popup information from where you are pointing to the troop tells you the troop identification number, assigned when it was recruited. For example the 85th Sluken terminator is the 85th troop recruited...

I do not sell the troop cloning, fortified bunker, or troop training tech unless an AI is about to discover it by research. Then I *DO* sell it to them, to keep them from selling the tech to others. The AI seems to place little priority upon researching planetary facility techs.

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

(in reply to Morwaul)
Post #: 13
RE: How to take Enemy Homeworld - 3/10/2012 4:03:27 PM   
Gas Can

You can either try the troop screen, in which you can dismiss troops quickly, or the empire policy setting panel to limit troop recruitment.

(in reply to Morwaul)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> How to take Enemy Homeworld Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI