Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Totaly absurd attack results...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Totaly absurd attack results... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 2:49:38 PM   
sdhundt

This is the results of an attack on my Destroyer TF....DD O'Brien, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Sterett, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Voyager, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Benham, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Caldwell, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Gillespie, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Bailey, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Gansevoort, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Woodworth, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Nicholas, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Does anyone see anything absurd about these results...Well in the entire pacific War only five allied DD's were sunk by aircraft torpedoes....They are the Henley 3 October 1943, Jarvis 9 August 1942, Lansdale 20 April 1944, Meredith 15 October 1942, and the Strong Kula Gulf, Solomons 5 July 1943.....Jap. torpedoe pilots were good but the game makes them into God's. Hitting a small and very fast DD's was almost impossible.
Post #: 1
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 2:51:38 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: sdhundt

This is the results of an attack on my Destroyer TF....DD O'Brien, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Does anyone see anything absurd about these results...Well in the entire pacific War only five allied DD's were sunk by aircraft torpedoes....They are the Henley 3 October 1943, Jarvis 9 August 1942, Lansdale 20 April 1944, Meredith 15 October 1942, and the Strong Kula Gulf, Solomons 5 July 1943.....Jap. torpedoe pilots were good but the game makes them into God's. Hitting a small and very fast DD's was almost impossible.

No where near enough data to draw a conclusion. How many planes, weather conditions, etc?

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 2
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 2:56:27 PM   
sdhundt

I'm just saying a small fast DD would be very difficult to hit with a torpedo in any condition.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 3:41:18 PM   
beppi

quote:

I'm just saying a small fast DD would be very difficult to hit with a torpedo in any condition.

It is currently very very hard to torp DDs in the game. So again the question, how many planes where attacking ?

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 4
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 3:58:11 PM   
vonTirpitz

I've caught destroyers in port, at sea refueling, stationary or slowed because of damage, etc. so it isn't impossible. Aircrew skills, weather, TF orders, TF fuel, leaders, all can effect results.

More often I have wasted a lot of torps and supply on missions against destroyers that were steaming through contested areas. My opponent likes to bait my betties and nells with destroyer TFs and they don't hit a damn thing and usually lose a couple to flak in the process.

This seems more like a unsubstantiated complaint IMHO.

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 5
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 4:47:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I know, this should be equally 'impossible' as well...

DD McDermut
DD Monssen

BB Yamashiro, torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Yamagumo, torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Michisio, torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Asagumo, torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Like AW1Steve says, you've provided insufficient information. A large DD force-like the one you identify-if set upon by 13 Japanese CVs with dozens or hundreds of torpedo-laden experten. Well...them's the breaks. It could happen, given the right circumstances.

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 6
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 4:51:37 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

"If enough ants are employed , one may overcome the mightiest giant".

If in bad weather the ships would be slow, AAA poor. If 500 Betties attack the DD's at anchor , you got off light. It ALL depends on circumstances. We don't have the data to provide intelligent insight. Give!

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 7
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 5:19:13 PM   
Mundy

Were they docked? Don't know if that would matter.

Ed-

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 8
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 5:38:11 PM   
KenchiSulla

They look to be docked.....

I had a PT force obliterated from long range because I had them docked and they took a while to get underway..

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 9
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 5:45:16 PM   
Alpha77

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 10
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 6:02:18 PM   
Nikademus

version would be good too.

A bug/error was found in earlier AE whereby ships with higher maneuver ratings were easier to hit vs. the bigger targets. This was resolved in newer builds of AE.

Prior to this fix was the only time i ever saw a result similar to what is being presented here.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 11
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 6:20:31 PM   
sdhundt

Ok since it was several turns ago here is what I remember..GC2, Version 6i, ships were all out to sea and in four different TF's weather I think was not an issue since I was only a few hexes from the CV TF that launched the attack.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 12
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 6:33:47 PM   
Nikademus

1106i. so your fully updated.

two possabilities.

1) freak result (it does happen.......i once hit Prince of Wales with a full 6 torpedo salvo from an Iboat....ONCE, never came close to duplicating it again)

2) issue (obviously) If you have a save, post it to the tech forum

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 13
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 6:47:16 PM   
sdhundt

I also considered that I am playing ROY, he is a master at playing against the game engine but even he shouldn't be able to cause a torpedoe to chase down a small, fast DD.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 14
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/26/2011 7:09:32 PM   
LoBaron

Are you trying get help?
If you do, then what you post is about as helpful as someone with a sprained ankle being asked about the location and detail of
his pain, responing: "that hurts somewhere".

If you only had DD´s around and exposed nothing else, ran into KB and had your destroyers exposed to 200+ kates then
don´t complain about the result. But thats been said already.
If you got attacked by a CVL force and recorded a 95% hit percentage from the meager dozen of TBs, then theres a chance you can report an issue.

Is the difference obvious?

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 15
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 12:53:55 AM   
crsutton

I am about 800 turns or more into my campaign and it is my experience that DDs do not get hit much by air torpedoes. In fact, when I am stalking small fast ships I tend to set my avengers to use bombs. (Yes, they are too accurate but you gotta do what you gotta do. )

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 16
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 1:50:37 AM   
Sredni

Only 3 DD's may have been sunk by air launched torpedoes in the war, however I don't think a force of DD's with no air cover ever came close to a massed blob of unopposed IJN carriers either.

And carrier TB's are a lot more accurate then nells and betties I believe? Further aggravating your circumstances.

(in reply to sdhundt)
Post #: 17
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 2:34:24 AM   
AW1Steve

We've had 4 posts from the creater of this thread, and he still hasn't provided more information. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that he 1) is simply looking for a sholder to cry on (and isn't getting one) or 2) is trolling.

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 18
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 3:04:38 AM   
Chickenboy

Steve, sdhundt has been around the forums a long time. Definitely not a troll. Frustrated, sure. A troll-no.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 3:59:58 AM   
Don Bowen

I don't think you're are going to like this, but...

Combat resolution is simply a formula. Put in editor supplied characteristics for atacker and target, add a dose of random, and run the numbers. Since random is involved ANY OUTCOME IS POSSIBLE. And random being what it is, you could get any combination of any outcome. Even an absurd one.

In theory, the outcome should align with random chance with a few million rolls. But in the short tern the dice could come up "6" any number of times in a row.

Tthat's all I can say.

< Message edited by Don Bowen -- 7/27/2011 4:00:06 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 7:40:54 AM   
fuelli

Seems to be a problem with the understanding of "impossible" and "most improbable"

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 21
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 5:09:29 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuelli

Seems to be a problem with the understanding of "impossible" and "most improbable"

Just remember... 'it happens'. You can modify that how you like.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to fuelli)
Post #: 22
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 7:27:12 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Steve, sdhundt has been around the forums a long time. Definitely not a troll. Frustrated, sure. A troll-no.

Good to know, thanks. But he obviously doesn't want our help. If he did , he's cough up the info. And I GET frustrated with people who won't help themselves, or help others to help them when they ask for it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 23
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 7:49:07 PM   
zuluhour

I found the number of Chinese slaughtered, say 2500 to ten LYBs rather hard to swallow at first, now I just assume they are not trained in the art of retreat yet. V2 seems to have addressed it to a degree.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 24
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 8:10:19 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

I found the number of Chinese slaughtered, say 2500 to ten LYBs rather hard to swallow at first, now I just assume they are not trained in the art of retreat yet. V2 seems to have addressed it to a degree.

Poorly trained troops get slaughtered when they face crack troops. That's not the game, that's military history and military science. Race has nothing to do with it. You get a poor showing out of Australian Milita when you put them up against crack troops. Australian regulars just back from North Africa are a whole different kettle of fish.

One of the things I keep telling people is "Are there any conditions in real life that could cause the upset?" Look for those 1st, before calling the game broke. Quite often, the game is doing a stupendous job of modeling reality , and we are doing a stupendous job of being stupid! OOPS! I left my fighters on 100% training and my CV's got their clock cleaned , is a common example.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 25
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 8:39:39 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Poorly trained troops with extremely low moral in a disorganized retreat getting slaughtered? I find it completely believable, and to be honest it is exactly what happened. Remember, this is not a US Marine regiment making a fighting withdrawal with a rear guard covering the retreat. Many of the troops in a Chinese corps were recruited unwillingly (that is conscripted and sometimes at gunpoint), having a rifle stuck in their hand an just enough training on how to point and shoot, and many times poorly supplied. It has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with lack of training and poor leadership.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 26
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 9:02:23 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

Poorly trained troops with extremely low moral in a disorganized retreat getting slaughtered? I find it completely believable, and to be honest it is exactly what happened. Remember, this is not a US Marine regiment making a fighting withdrawal with a rear guard covering the retreat. Many of the troops in a Chinese corps were recruited unwillingly (that is conscripted and sometimes at gunpoint), having a rifle stuck in their hand an just enough training on how to point and shoot, and many times poorly supplied. It has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with lack of training and poor leadership.

Exactly my point! It can happen to anyone. Read about the battle of Brooklyn in the American revolutionary war. Milita broke and ran, and were gunned down in mass.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 27
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 9:04:40 PM   
zuluhour

I consider WITP-AE to be an exceptional creation. The research included eclipsing any simulation from my first game (panzerBlitz circa 1971 or so) to Talon softs computer version of ASL.
One side effect, if you will, is the uncanny ability of the game itself to lure one from the sofa, desk, what have you to the book store. Currently in Daniel Marstons book: War in the Pacific.
You may attribute my post as simply ignorance on a grand scale, or just a blurb from a fan of the game posting his two cents. I am convinced that war is only predictable in that they will be fought, results may very.

ps. I am no less emotionally attached to my pixelated forces than I was with my cardboard counters!
pss. I agree with you above on the factors regarding troop quality etc. The shock of results like I mentioned above are very curable by solid mechanics and planning. Hey, I have not played a turn against the AI in quite awhile, as the forums are entertaining in their own right and are helping with learning curve.

thanks, kb (lurker noob)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 28
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 10:11:25 PM   
roy2008

Here the Combat results from this turn, date is 14.1.43

1st Wave/Morning
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 34 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 21
D3A1 Val x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed, 10 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed, 3 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Gillespie
DD Bailey
DD O'Brien, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Walke
DD Woodworth
DD Hughes
DD Meade
DD Gansevoort

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo
8 x D3A1 Val bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb
12 x D3A1 Val bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
12 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

2nd Wave/Morning
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 20

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed, 6 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Barton
DD Lansdowne
DD Waller

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

3rd Wave/Morning
Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 18
D3A1 Val x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed, 10 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 damaged

Allied Ships

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x D3A1 Val bombing from 5000 feet
17 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

4th Wave/Morning
Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Nicholas, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:

5th Wave/Morning
Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Lansdowne
DD DeHaven
DD Waller

Aircraft Attacking:
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg GP Bomb

6th Wave/Afternoon
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 26
D3A1 Val x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 2 destroyed, 10 damaged
D3A1 Val: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Hughes
DD Walke, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Meade, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
22 x D3A1 Val bombing from 5000 feet
15 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring DD Meade

7th Wave/Afternoon
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 5,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 10
D3A1 Val x 47

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
D3A1 Val: 4 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Barton
DD DeHaven
DD Waller
DD Lansdowne

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x D3A1 Val bombing from 5000 feet
21 x D3A1 Val bombing from 5000 feet
18 x D3A1 Val bombing from 5000 feet

8th Wave/Afternoon
Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 7 damaged

Allied Ships

Aircraft Attacking:
15 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet

EXP of my Wings is from 85 - 90, the Results is for me normal

- The strategy is a system of temporary. -
- von Moltke -

- You have to see the whole before its parts. -
- Scharnhorst -

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 29
RE: Totaly absurd attack results... - 7/27/2011 10:18:20 PM   
ADB123

Ah, so the results in the initial post were "slightly edited"...

The overall combat results look reasonable to me - the DDs were in the wrong place at the wrong time, ran out of AA ammo, and went down.

And the KB is repairing a fair number of bombers right now.

(in reply to roy2008)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Totaly absurd attack results... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI