Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Need Strategic Advice

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Need Strategic Advice Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Need Strategic Advice - 8/25/2012 4:46:25 PM   
WoodMan

Hey folks!

Dilemma, started penned in on the edge of the galaxy with two other Empires right on my doorstep. There isn't enough room for all three of us and since I'm the one in the middle I'm guessing it is going to be me who gets screwed.

So my plan was to expand quickly, to take the colonizable planets before my neighbours. playing as Shandar there are no potential colonies nearby, all low quality. I'm maxing my High Tech research bonusses so I can get the colnization techs quick but... I have explored several sectors out in all directions and not found *any* colonizable worlds of any type, so colinization tech won't help. I have a two sector limit on new colony distance!

Then I thought of something I've never tried before. Colonizing low quality worlds simply to gain territorial advantage and pen in my neighbours. In the picture below are the two highest quality Volcanic worlds I have found at 23% and 21% quality. Would it hit my economy too bad to colonize them this early in the game? Or is this my chance to escape and move closer to the core where the stars are much denser? Oh, I love this game

Attachment (1)

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Post #: 1
RE: Need Strategic Advice - 8/25/2012 5:14:31 PM   
ehsumrell1

I see the issue here Martin. But in my opinion as Supreme Ruler of the So'na, here's another
problem.

Concerning both the Riigean and Danuur system planets, such low quality is going to mean that
building a Space Port at either is going to be REALLY SLOW GOING! Thus, defense of these locations
will be VERY costly. Especially the Riigean system planet. IF you even have a sizable battle fleet
at this early stage of the game developed, the time (and fuel, with no major fuel source at the location)
to get there and defend against even Pirate attacks will be lengthy. Doesn't look good to me. You've
got a good one to figure out here bro.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/25/2012 5:16:27 PM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 2
RE: Need Strategic Advice - 8/25/2012 5:29:31 PM   
WoodMan

Colonization of Riigean 2 has been approved by the Shandar government! It is an aggressive move for the Shandar, but desperate measures for desperate times, the future of their civilization is at stake!

The pirates are not a true threat. So far they have proved a no show. But, a spaceport is not important for this colony. It is simply required to extend our colonization range by a further 2 sectors!

I might make a AAR out of this, haven't done one for a long time and it is an interesting and difficult starting phase

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 3
RE: Need Strategic Advice - 8/25/2012 10:08:54 PM   
feelotraveller

Good choice.

As far as I understand the income mechanism you lose more as the population grows. In this case it is like having negative income from a 79% quality planet, leaving aside the 1k colony charge. It might even be worth temporarily scrapping your passenger ships depending on how quickly you can establish a better colony corewards. (If it was later game it might even be worth bombarding your own colony!)

While it's tiny, though, the income loss shoud be accordingly small.

Looking forward to the AAR. The Galactic Library need new stories.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 4
RE: Need Strategic Advice - 8/26/2012 5:00:49 AM   
Panpiper

quote:

It might even be worth temporarily scrapping your passenger ships depending on how quickly you can establish a better colony corewards.

Would it not perhaps just be better to jack up the tax rates on the initial colony to the point where it never grows beyond that initial -1 maintenance cost?

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 5
RE: Need Strategic Advice - 8/26/2012 5:16:25 AM   
feelotraveller

That's a good idea.

(Although, as an aside, apart from the stuff in the Galactopedia which undoubtedly has some effect, I fear Passenger ships are about as predictable as freighters in their assignment of when and where they take passengers - that is, often mystifying.)

(in reply to Panpiper)
Post #: 6
RE: Need Strategic Advice - 8/26/2012 2:25:23 PM   
endoric_MatrixForum

i have used low quality planets to push my border against a neighbor therefore pushing my border out and causing his to shrink in order to open up planets that are high quality but in his space.

it is very useful to take low qual planets if you have a limit on how far away you can colonize or to claim space.

I like the idea of the high taxes to keep the pop from growing! good tip.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 7
RE: Need Strategic Advice - 8/26/2012 3:34:13 PM   
WoodMan

Hopefully, the fact that I'm Shandar can stave off any large negative economic impact from this venture. Not sure if you guys have tried the Shandar, but their economy is very strong. Just look at the date 2759 and with a harsh homeworld I already have an income of +15,916 (thats income, not bonus income). They may not be great fighters, but boy they know how to rake in the cash!

(in reply to endoric_MatrixForum)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Need Strategic Advice Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI