Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HB Losses

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HB Losses Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HB Losses - 5/13/2012 10:41:19 PM   
Chris21wen

I'm playing against the AI at very hard. It's mid 1945 and my HB losses are very high and was wondering what the situation is with others.
Post #: 1
RE: HB Losses - 5/13/2012 11:47:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H
I'm playing against the AI at very hard. It's mid 1945 and my HB losses are very high and was wondering what the situation is with others.

High Bomber? Heavy Bomber? Hard Base? Home Base?

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 12:41:18 AM   
Q-Ball

You are playing Allies, I assume? You should post a loss screen, that would help.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 8:10:29 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

High Bomber? Heavy Bomber? Hard Base? Home Base?

HB stands for heavy bomber as per the game.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 8:27:41 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

You are playing Allies, I assume? You should post a loss screen, that would help.

Taken from Tracker

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 5
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 12:34:23 PM   
vettim89

I think we need more information as to how you are using your HB. That said, I see that roughly 40% of your losses are operational. Perhaps you need to stand them down more between missions to let fatigue recover a litle more. Again, that is conjecture as I really don't know how you are using them at this point.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 6
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 1:22:15 PM   
Puhis

quote:

Maybe "very hard" explanes your high losses, because AI gets combat bonuses?

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 7
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 2:18:00 PM   
adsoul64

With 40% of operational losses I would take a look to the airfields where your heavies are based: are they undersized?

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 8
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 2:22:53 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

I think we need more information as to how you are using your HB. That said, I see that roughly 40% of your losses are operational. Perhaps you need to stand them down more between missions to let fatigue recover a litle more. Again, that is conjecture as I really don't know how you are using them at this point.

I stand them down when fatigue gets to 25-30 and/or moral drops to 50. I also try and stand them down when operational a/c is less than damaged. I rarely fly extended missions.

Now one thing that does appear high to me is the ops losses.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

quote:

I was wondering if anyone else was playing very hard for a comparison.

< Message edited by Chris H -- 5/14/2012 2:24:26 PM >

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 9
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 2:59:55 PM   
witpqs

I typically stand down HB when fatigue is in the teens.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 10
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 3:24:05 PM   
nate25

quote:

quote:

I stand them down when fatigue gets to 25-30 and/or moral drops to 50. I also try and stand them down when operational a/c is less than damaged. I rarely fly extended missions.

quote:

quote:

I used to think ops losses were high too, until I started doing some exploring on my own. I encourage you to do this. I don't think most realize how high they were.

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 11
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 4:03:56 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: nate25

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I used to think ops losses were high too, until I started doing some exploring on my own. I encourage you to do this. I don't think most realize how high they were.

I think a lot of people don't realize what an operational loss really is. You may not lose the crew, but the plane is unrepairable...that is an operational loss. The plane isn't even necessarily destroyed, just in no shape to ever fly again...causes:

1. Stressed airframe
2. Extensive structural damage
3. Crash landing
4. Lack of spare parts

Those are just some of the possibilities.

Just an example, IIRC the B-26 Marauder had more casualties due to operational losses than due to enemy action. It was nick-named 'the widowmaker' due to its being very accident prone with the early models. In practice, the B-26 ended the war with the lowest loss rate of all Allied bombers. It simply took a few minor modifications and proper training of the aircrews to bring the high OPs losses to an end.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 12
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 6:29:52 PM   
The Gnome

Learn how to fly your B-26! This will help keep ops losses down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIsoj1QPAc

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 13
RE: HB Losses - 5/14/2012 7:28:02 PM   
jmalter

where sqns that run continuous ops (esp. at high altitude) will gain fatigue and lose morale, leading to high ops losses.

here's some suggestions:
- increase the # of trained pilots in each sqn, don't rely on a minimum pilot staff.
- as a sqn approaches morale decrease to 80, place it on Training (range 0, alt 5k) let it return to 95+ morale.
- sqns w/ high fatigue & low morale will continue to experience ops losses during Training, use 50% or more to reduce fatigue as they train.
- review sqn leaders, purchase high Insp & Ldr values for sqns, purchase high Air values for AirHQs.
- if you want to run continuous raids, set your operational sqns to 30% rest, they'll have much more staying power.
- get AirHQs into command-radius range of your bomber bases.
- for strat targets, concentrate your forces, & don't bother to target LI. consider switching to Night attacks at 7-8k alt, instead of high-alt daytime raids.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 14
RE: HB Losses - 5/15/2012 3:38:56 AM   
PaxMondo

IN addition to jmalters list:
- get bigger base size
- get more AV support

Pax

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 15
RE: HB Losses - 5/15/2012 5:45:05 AM   
jmalter

and just to pile on, lemme add that there's add'l synergy to be found when your sqns and their local AirHQ are assigned to the same commandHQ (also there's a sense that the basehex command HQ should be changed to match, but i'm not certain about that).

so after you've spent PP on upgrading your sqn leaders, & your AirHQ leaders, you have the add'l opportunity to spend more PP on your command structure. so for example, you're flying out of bases in the Marianas, and have 'XI Bomber Command' in Guam. nearby sqns will get more benefit from being inside that HQ's command radius if they're assigned to 'XI Bomber Command'.

when you've got your bomber offensive running, don't get upset by combat results that show a main effort by 189 planes, followed by attacks from a few groups of 18 or 9 planes. due to the multiple 'checks' that the game-engine imposes, it's extremely rare that all your bombers will arrive over a target at the same time, usually you'll always get a few 2ndary attacks. but if 2ndary attacks involve more than 15% of your total strength, you'll need to review your command & leader assignments.

i guess the bottom line is, that during the late game, your 4E sqns need a lot of hands-on management. based on the loss-screen you posted, i'd imagine you're having trouble keeping these sqns equipped w/ airframe replacements. IMO you need to stand down awhile - re-think, re-organize & re-build. Allied 4E can deliver devastating damage. you must decide how they operate - do you want a continuous attack, or a surge/rebuild cycle?

AFAIK, playing against the AI at 'very hard' level gives it no advantage to combat results, but allows it to ignore restrictions usually imposed when supply levels are low.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> HB Losses Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI