Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/23/2011 12:15:54 AM   
Matys

Flag Pack V.2

I like to role-play my game. I was going to start a new game as the 11th French Republic or the Star Kingdom of England or some sort of human faction loosely related to earth but all the flag feel strange or weird. So I made a bunch of flags. Some work very well, other are a little blurry in game.

Here are the worlds flags:

Eve Online flags:

Homeworld flags:

Star Trek flags:

Star Wars Flags:

Stargate flags:

And a few more:

To install:
Make them a theme: create a subfolder named flagshapes in your theme folder in customization (Distant Worlds\Customization\YOURTHEME\flagshapes). Put the flag you want to use, they replace original flags.

Or you can replace the original flag in the flagshapes folder. First back up the flag folder (Distant Worlds\images\ui\flagshapes) then replace the flag you want by renaming one of my flag and overwriting the original.
Ex: German Eagle -> flag3

All the flags are already in .wmf format so you don't have to convert them.

I have include a picture of the original flag, so you know what flag you are replacing.

Here is the new pack. I hope you like them.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Matys -- 11/27/2011 6:43:55 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 1:30:53 AM   
Igard

Excellent job with this. I think I remember someone asking for this a long a while back.

I do have a question, what is the 2nd England Lion from? It looks alot more like a Scottish Lion Rampant, though I don't recognise the 3 crowns and it doesn't have a forked tail. The first English lion is definately an English lion, but I think there should be 3 of them.

Not criticizing, just a slight nitpick if you like and I could be completely wrong.

Great work!

(in reply to Matys)
Post #: 2
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 2:19:02 AM   
Hanny

Im a Brit, both of those Lions look like Richard 1 Royal coat of arms lions. Was that where you got them from?.

Kudos btw!

< Message edited by Hanny -- 7/23/2011 2:21:15 AM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 3
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 2:55:14 AM   
Igard

Looks like you're right Hanny. Did a bit of googling.

It seems to me that King Richard I (the lionheart) dropped the single standing lion in favour of 3 lions walking and facing the observer. Then Scotlands Alexander II took up the Lion Rampant standard shortly after.

So basically, we pinched it while the English weren't using it!

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 4
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 3:09:37 AM   
Hanny

You Yanks will steal anything, first it was our colonies, then its our Empire.....

Richard has 3 lions, because Henry I the Lion of England in battle had one, he married and she had one, makeing two, his son therfore used 2, and married Elanaor of Aquitane who had another, that made 3, Richard was there son and used the family 3 lions.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 7/23/2011 3:15:43 AM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 5
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 6:26:51 AM   
tjhkkr

I am impressed. Nice work!

When you say, StL, do you mean as in St. Louis?

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 6
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 8:55:20 AM   
Data

Hi Matys and excelent work, I was just going through older threads and something like this was attempted before but not at this scale. Nicely done.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 7
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 12:00:38 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanny

You Yanks will steal anything, first it was our colonies, then its our Empire.....

Richard has 3 lions, because Henry I the Lion of England in battle had one, he married and she had one, makeing two, his son therfore used 2, and married Elanaor of Aquitane who had another, that made 3, Richard was there son and used the family 3 lions.

Very interesting indeed, Hanny. Thanks for that, however I'm not American. Sorry, though I mentioned that I'm Scottish. Live near Falkirk. I just like posting in the middle of the night!

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 8
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 12:28:39 PM   
Data

Good job Hanny, now we've learned another thing about Igard. Falkirk...is that where Kirk fell?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 9
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 12:50:38 PM   
Hanny

quote:

Very interesting indeed, Hanny. Thanks for that, however I'm not American. Sorry, though I mentioned that I'm Scottish. Live near Falkirk. I just like posting in the middle of the night!

Ah my mistake.

Im on the Isle of wight, ( little island at the botton of the UK for none Uk readers) be hard to be any further from you!. and still be in the UK.

< Message edited by Hanny -- 7/23/2011 12:56:10 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 10
RE: Flag Pack - 7/23/2011 2:18:47 PM   
Igard

Been there when I was a wee lad. Can't remember much apart from being sick on the way home on the ferry.

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 11
RE: Flag Pack - 7/24/2011 11:22:57 PM   
Matys

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I do have a question, what is the 2nd England Lion from? It looks alot more like a Scottish Lion Rampant, though I don't recognise the 3 crowns and it doesn't have a forked tail. The first English lion is definately an English lion, but I think there should be 3 of them.

I used only one Lion Rampant because it look better that way. With three Lions, the flag is very blurry and the lions are hard to see.

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

When you say, StL, do you mean as in St. Louis?

Yes, it is St-Louis Fleur-de-Lys.

I have finished some new flag sets: Eve Online, Homeworld, Star Trek, Star Wars, Stargate and some other flag from various games. There are in the original post. The uploaded file is the new version.

< Message edited by Matys -- 7/24/2011 11:23:52 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 12
RE: Flag Pack - 7/24/2011 11:39:54 PM   
Igard

4 Romulan flags!!!! 

Bless you sir! You're a true hero of the Empire!

Oh yes and the other flags are pretty cool also. Great job. This must've taken a while.

(in reply to Matys)
Post #: 13
RE: Flag Pack - 7/25/2011 9:26:26 AM   
Kalthaniell

YOU ARE THE GREATEST MATYS

This flag collection is exactly what I wished for (maybe except the nazi falg.I did not wish for that..). It's like christmas already!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 14
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/25/2011 10:01:56 AM   
feygan

Nice flag set there, just wondering is there a hard limit on the number of flags allowed in the same way of shipsets?

(in reply to Matys)
Post #: 15
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/25/2011 2:53:26 PM   
J HG T

@feygan

Yep, there's currently a hard limit on flags. Hopefully the next expansion will lift some of the hard caps for modding purposes. 

@Matys

Excellent stuff! Gotta browse through those and see which ones I will be using.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 16
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/25/2011 9:04:50 PM   
Igard

feygan, J HG T is correct, it's the same as shipsets, but there are plenty of flags to chop and change. There are 41, which is more than enough for me.

EDIT: 39 without the expansion.

< Message edited by Igard -- 7/25/2011 9:19:47 PM >

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 17
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/25/2011 9:33:06 PM   
Data

having more than the races available for any game.....btw, what's the limit on that now? just realized I forgot this.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 18
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/25/2011 10:43:50 PM   
tjhkkr

Thank you for your work! Very much!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 19
RE: Flag Pack - 7/25/2011 11:56:35 PM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hanny

quote:

Im on the Isle of wight, ( little island at the botton of the UK for none Uk readers) be hard to be any further from you!. and still be in the UK.

You could live on the Falkland islands and be further, but indeed that would be harder...especially with the menacing Argentine threat next door. <--- Jest

In response to the flag set.....NICE WORK!!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

feygan, J HG T is correct, it's the same as shipsets, but there are plenty of flags to chop and change. There are 41, which is more than enough for me.

EDIT: 39 without the expansion.

Are you saying the in game flag limit is 39?

< Message edited by Simulation01 -- 7/25/2011 11:59:12 PM >

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Hanny)
Post #: 20
RE: Flag Pack - 7/26/2011 1:45:08 AM   
Igard

Hey Sim. There are 41 flags in the flagshape folder, so I assume without the expansion, which added new flags for Shakturi and Mechanoids, there are only 39.

It is limited. You can't add new flags to the flagshape folder and name them flag41.wmf etc.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 21
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/26/2011 3:30:54 AM   
shinobu

Matys: Using your flags and they work like a charm. Thanks so much for the hard work!

(in reply to Matys)
Post #: 22
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/26/2011 3:44:59 AM   
Simulation01

Thanks Igard! 

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to shinobu)
Post #: 23
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/26/2011 7:13:35 PM   
Haree78

At last a BSG flag! I tried a few times and all the programs I used to convert files to vector graphics were awful! How are you doing this?

I've tried to convert the following, with horrible jagged results using free vector creating software.

OR
(top right)

OR

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 24
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/27/2011 5:03:49 PM   
Shark7

Nice flags, I'll even use some of these. And now I also know how to make some myself, I have the tools, I have the time....though it can be questioned if I have the talent, but when has that ever stopped me?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 25
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/28/2011 12:35:28 AM   
Matys

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

At last a BSG flag! I tried a few times and all the programs I used to convert files to vector graphics were awful! How are you doing this?

It is pretty easy. I use GIMP and TotalVectorize. I convert my source image to jpeg so I don't have issue with transparency.

A DW flag have 2 colors, primary and secondary, so you must convert your source image to white (primary color) and black (secondary color). So if the source image is already black and white, convert using Totalvectorize. If not, use GIMP to transform them into black and white. Brightness-Contrast, desaturate and select by color are very handy. You may have to manually correct with the pencil(select->shrink or grow is handy and save time). Then convert them, and see how they look in game.

Sometime, I don't know why, one of the side will be crop in game. In that case just tweak it by playing with proportion or adding some dot at the edge.

I hope it help you. Here are the Cylon flags.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Matys -- 7/28/2011 12:37:54 AM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 26
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/28/2011 5:57:33 AM   
tjhkkr

These flags are execllent! Thank you very much!

Now does anyone know what numbers correspond to what colors?

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 7/28/2011 1:17:31 PM >

(in reply to Matys)
Post #: 27
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 7/28/2011 7:45:39 AM   
Haree78

Oh you legend, they are brilliant!
Going to have try this out, when I did it straight edges looked terrible, and would be made up of curves and jagged bits.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 28
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 11/25/2011 6:16:12 PM   
Baleur

Has this been changed in Legends? can we now just add new flag shapes, or still need to replace the old?
I want them ALL in my game :(
Erik!!!

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 29
RE: Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) - 11/25/2011 7:25:41 PM   
ehsumrell1

Baleur, you can create a theme directory in the Customization folder and add
your wanted flags in a subdirectory named 'flagshapes'. Then just change to
that theme from the main menu. You will have to start a new game though.
You can also add a flagshapes subdirectory to any other Theme's directory
as well.

If you don't want to use a theme, backup your original main directory 'images\ui\flagshapes
subdirectory, then place your wanted flags there. They will overwrite any flags of the
same number of course, thus the reason for the backup in case you wish to return to the
originals.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Flag Pack V.2 (EVE, Star Trek and other) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI