Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Interesting - and maybe useful?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Interesting - and maybe useful? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interesting - and maybe useful? - 7/10/2012 2:51:54 PM   
dwg

I was thinking about all the different base types that are catered for in the Loc file, so decided on a little experiment, and it turns out to be perfectly feasible to have multiple bases in a single hex. Whether it's useful is a different question, it's awkward to use as you'll only be directly able to select one of them and will need to use something like 'Show other bases with same HQ' to get to the others.

One obvious possibility would be to give multiple bomber targets in the same hex, so rather than raiding 'Tokyo', you could have a base co-located with Tokyo which represents only the Nakajima engine plant at Musashino and target at an individual factory level - which is what historically was happening during certain operations. Or you could have multiple airfields - which might be useful for representing Tinian's West and North fields. Or it could represent multiple coastal defence forts in a single hex - think Manila Bay. Equally it could be used where you have two major cities within a single hex.

Obviously the more you use it, the more slots each hex will eat up, so it may be most useful with small map scenarios, but it certainly opens up some new possibilities.

One thing I haven't done yet is check what happens when ground combat occurs in a hex with two bases. Depending on how it is handled by the game engine, this might open up the possibility of having a 'local area' base to parallel the main base in the hex, and that being somewhere that guerilla or special forces could be deployed for surveillance without automatically triggering combat with the main garrison.
Post #: 1
RE: Interesting - and maybe useful? - 7/14/2012 9:01:11 AM   
inqistor

Oh yeah, interesting. Maybe using this, you can greatly increase number of planes needed to close airfields in whole hex?

If it is possible to only ONE base to fall in one day, better simulation of Iwo Jima could be achieved. But I do not see how you could build forts in only one of base, not in the rest.

(in reply to dwg)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Interesting - and maybe useful? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI