Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another Stab at Blank Scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Another Stab at Blank Scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Stab at Blank Scenario - 8/10/2012 2:52:38 AM   
AlanBernardo

Hello,

Referring to this post,

quote:

You should become familiar with the file witploadae.exe

You can extract all data into CSV files. You can mass update delay fields to 9999 and have a blank scenario in a matter of minutes.

Open a dos prompt.

change directory to the SCEN folder.

type: witploadae.exe /e /s001

/e is for export and /s001 is the first scenario.

That will put 7 or 8 excel CSV files in the SCEN directory. Open them up, one at a time, and update the delay column to 9999 for any items you want.

Once you have the CSV files done,

type: witploadae.exe /i /s001

(the /i is for import.)

That will create some scenario files in the directory: C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admirals Edition\SCEN
(I think it will create this folder if not already made, but not sure.)

Copy the scenario files from that folder to where you have your permanent SCEN folder located.

Ok, I forgot to mention that you should copy scenario 1 to a blank slot (like 50 or so) and then do the above commands with that scenario, and keep scenario 1 untouched.

I'm sure there are others here who can help with a bit more information. I needed help from someone a long time ago to do this. (sorry, forgot who the helpful person was. I want to say Local Yocal, but I don't really remember.)

Does this still hold? What version of Excel works? There's a mention in this post of changing the scenario to another slot to save the original. I agree, but how many files are involved in each slot's scenarios?

Of course if anyone has done this and still has the blank scenario, I'd appreciate it. I tried with the scenario editor, but it didn't quite work as I wanted, since I didn't know exactly what all needed to be changed.

The process described above looks much easier. Will Excel 2007 work or do I need an earlier version?

I went through the process but MS-DOS hung forever on a file. Some of the files altered and then saved (Excel 2007) appeared to be quite large.

Thanks,

Alan
Post #: 1
RE: Another Stab at Blank Scenario - 8/10/2012 2:27:01 PM   
AlanBernardo

Hello!

Okay, so I got it figured.

The mentioning of "column 9999" for any items you want is incorrect. You enter that number for the items you don't want.

After dumping the *.csv files, there are only three that you need to edit:

Witpshp001
Witpgrp001
Witploc001

On the first two you fill in 9999 for the Delay column. On the last you find the column Delay1 and fill in 9999.

Importing the files back in then will give you a scenario without ground, air, or naval units.

Now I have to figure how to add units.

Edit: Ships are easy enough: changing the Delay back to ZERO (0) works. Aircraft or aircraft groups looks to be a little tougher. Ground units also, though adding bases returns the ground units stationed on those bases.

Edit 2: For what it's worth, I got it all figured. The process is pretty convoluted, but I can put what I want where I want. Also, using a basic CSV editor is the way to go. Excel is simply too much of a program to use if you want good results.

Alan

< Message edited by AlanBernardo -- 8/10/2012 6:19:43 PM >

(in reply to AlanBernardo)
Post #: 2
RE: Another Stab at Blank Scenario - 8/11/2012 7:54:11 AM   
inqistor

Those are text files, you can open it in anything you use, although EXCEL-like will sort fields for you. I have used like 3 versions of OPEN OFFICE, and ermmm... LIBRA? The only problem could be with saving files, as program can decide to use different separators.

Gary Childress have made empty Scenario. Without ANY units.

You can also set delay for leaders/pilots. They will not be available from Scenario start then.
Just remember to set HOME BASES, otherwise you will not see any air units on map.

Post #: 3
RE: Another Stab at Blank Scenario - 8/11/2012 10:52:50 PM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: inqistor

Those are text files, you can open it in anything you use, although EXCEL-like will sort fields for you. I have used like 3 versions of OPEN OFFICE, and ermmm... LIBRA? The only problem could be with saving files, as program can decide to use different separators.

You can also set delay for leaders/pilots. They will not be available from Scenario start then.
Just remember to set HOME BASES, otherwise you will not see any air units on map.

Yeah, I know they are text files. I use a simple csv editor for them, which opens fine, edits easily, and saves.

The Childress scenario I was never able to look at, since it wouldn't open. Maybe it's from an older version.

I do know about Home Bases. The scenario I've created has no units and no bases. I can add them-- as I said-- wherever and whenever I want. It's a nice little thing for testing.

Alan

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 4
RE: Another Stab at Blank Scenario - 8/12/2012 11:13:48 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlanBernardo

quote:

Yeah, I know they are text files. I use a simple csv editor for them, which opens fine, edits easily, and saves.

The Childress scenario I was never able to look at, since it wouldn't open. Maybe it's from an older version.

I do know about Home Bases. The scenario I've created has no units and no bases. I can add them-- as I said-- wherever and whenever I want. It's a nice little thing for testing.

Alan

Hi AlanBernardo,

I'm not sure why you weren't able to open the scenario but here is it again. I put it in scenario slot 101 which is the same slot in my folder. Let me know if this doesn't work. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to why it won't work for you. PLease let me know if anyone else has similar trouble with it.

Thanks.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5
RE: Another Stab at Blank Scenario - 8/13/2012 12:40:14 AM   
AlanBernardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: AlanBernardo

quote:

Alan

Hi AlanBernardo,

I'm not sure why you weren't able to open the scenario but here is it again. I put it in scenario slot 101 which is the same slot in my folder. Let me know if this doesn't work. Otherwise I'm at a loss as to why it won't work for you. PLease let me know if anyone else has similar trouble with it.

Thanks.

Hey,

Well, I did find out why. There were no map coordinates in the scenario section of the editor. Once I put some in the scenario opened up fine.

I was able to create a blank scenario, where I kept all the devices and units and other things but zeroed out their locations. That way I can add things freely, without having to enter all the unit information.

Thanks,

Alan

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Another Stab at Blank Scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI