Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Similarity to "Commander Europe at War"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> Similarity to "Commander Europe at War" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Similarity to "Commander Europe at War" - 8/29/2012 9:09:08 PM   
jaxpac

This games looks (at least superficially) very similar to Commander World at War, which I own already. I'm wondering if anyone here who has played both games can offer a comparison of the two games, and what benefits there are of "upgrading" to this new game.
Post #: 1
RE: Similarity to "Commander Europe at War" - 8/29/2012 9:21:50 PM   
Tac2i

It has been awhile since I fired up Commander: Europe at War. First, CEAW is a much more involved game than SWE. Actually I'd say SWE isn't an "upgrade" but a "downgrade." SWE, from Wasteland Interactive, is kind of a simpler Time of Fury meant for those who want a fast and relatively easy to play WWII strategy game. It would be excellent for introducing new players to military strategy gaming or for any gamer who wants an occasional break from those long, detailed and more complex wargames we all tend to play.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaxpac

This games looks (at least superficially) very similar to Commander World at War, which I own already. I'm wondering if anyone here who has played both games can offer a comparison of the two games, and what benefits there are of "upgrading" to this new game.

< Message edited by Webizen -- 8/29/2012 9:28:09 PM >

Tac2i (formerly webizen)

(in reply to jaxpac)
Post #: 2
RE: Similarity to "Commander Europe at War" - 8/29/2012 11:44:32 PM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webizen

It has been awhile since I fired up Commander: Europe at War. First, CEAW is a much more involved game than SWE. Actually I'd say SWE isn't an "upgrade" but a "downgrade." SWE, from Wasteland Interactive, is kind of a simpler Time of Fury meant for those who want a fast and relatively easy to play WWII strategy game. It would be excellent for introducing new players to military strategy gaming or for any gamer who wants an occasional break from those long, detailed and more complex wargames we all tend to play.

quote:

CEaW is a carbon copy of Commander World at War from Battlefront games.Differance is one is double the price.Can you guess which one?

(in reply to Tac2i)
Post #: 3
RE: Similarity to "Commander Europe at War" - 8/30/2012 8:03:15 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander
CEaW is a carbon copy of Commander World at War from Battlefront games.Differance is one is double the price.Can you guess which one?

Let me guess... the one with the ugly graphics.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 4
RE: Similarity to "Commander Europe at War" - 10/10/2012 10:13:09 PM   
TPM

quote:

Incidentally, both games appear to be an upgrade of "Clash of Steel" which was put out in the late 1990's (I believe). I had COS and CEAW and now have SWE...the similarities are (from memory):

1. No stacking...if this alone could be implemented in either SWE or CEAW, you would have a kick-ass game.
2. Variation in sizes of units--some units are corps, others are armies. This drives me nuts...if you could stack, then you wouldn't need to have an "army" unit, you would just have a hex with 2-3 corps. Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but as far as I can see, you can't split your army up into corps in SWE.
3. No stacking part 2: air units can't be stacked...they actually take up an entire hex and you have to move around them with your land units. This is lame.
4. Abstracted naval system (for COS and SWE...I think CEAW doesn't have this).

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks.

(in reply to jaxpac)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Strategic War in Europe >> Similarity to "Commander Europe at War" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI