Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should I be adding more storage to initial stations and constructors?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Should I be adding more storage to initial stations and constructors? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should I be adding more storage to initial stations and... - 9/5/2012 11:06:54 AM   
jpinard

I read somewhere where an individual stated you should add a lot of storage capacity to your ships and bases. If this is true, how much should we be adding? Also should we be adding extra constructor and docking bays to all the ships that use them as well? Or will we bankrupt our system doing that?
Post #: 1
RE: Should I be adding more storage to initial stations... - 9/5/2012 12:11:39 PM   
Nedrear

A roleplayer designs every station for its current need. In general though I might add extra storage in border territories use as a military fuel station. If 3 fleets refuel at the same time it would be bad to wait on demand...
A huge storage is only necessary at place you need an immediate extraction from. Apart of that a general storage is okay.
Regarding construction ships: Their storage should be big enough to field all materials needed to build far off bases WITHOUT returning to resupply.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to jpinard)
Post #: 2
RE: Should I be adding more storage to initial stations... - 9/5/2012 1:11:35 PM   
Bingeling

I find the "you should" stuff rather silly. If you mess up or are unlucky, the AI manages to win with AI tools. And I would say the game is not about winning in any case... The AI should be possible to take care off as long as you start on even terms. And if not? Getting spanked is fun too :)

According to preference you can leave more or less control to the AI. Ship design is one thing that can safely be left alone, but also be fun to mess with yourself. Can you do better? Sure. Is it necessary? Nope. Do whatever you feel like.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 3
RE: Should I be adding more storage to initial stations... - 9/5/2012 3:39:52 PM   
jpinard

The reason I wanted to change this is - several games in the past my construction ships took forever to make anything. So if the storage changes were warranted it wasn't for the sake of "winning", but to ease my frustrations.

I love doing ship design but haven't quite mastered managing everything without accidnetlay deleting or removing something important.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Should I be adding more storage to initial stations... - 9/5/2012 4:18:54 PM   
Bingeling

I have never changed store (or anything else of importance) a constructor, and I have played quite a few games (but not for ages). I think you will find that the default designs work quite well.

I think (but am not sure) that they pick up what they need for the job, and they manage to build mines, resort bases, and whatnot without much issues. Sometimes they get stuck, though, and I seem to remember this is more common when repairing derelict ships. Problems of this sort are probably more due to lack of supplies, than lacking storage space.

If you ever notice a stuck constructor, typically with lacking materials in inventory, you can try to send it away (just any order), and then order it to repair what it was building. It should then head to a space port, pick up materials, and finish the build.

(in reply to jpinard)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Should I be adding more storage to initial stations and constructors? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI