Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

all your base

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> all your base Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
all your base - 12/3/2012 8:23:16 PM   
Cruis.In

Hey guys this is a tip for protecting bases from raiders.

In mid to late game if you are at war with someone, or any stage of the game, no matter if you've won and pulverized them, they keep sending one or two ships behind your lines to attack things like gas mining, no fuel = no war for you.

Your gas stations are easily blown up even if you have ships in system, or patrolling the station. Imagine 10 systems and you need 5-10 ships just per station, especially if its early in the war and they are still fielding 20-30 man fleets. You need sizable home defense fleets in nearly each system because you dont know where he'll go.

And by the time you get that incoming attack if your home defense is too far, he can destroy every base in each system easily. And like I said even with defending, gas stations dont last long against enemy fire.

So I've made my gas stations with like 2k shields, and improved gas extraction. SO more is less. So instead of 20 gas stations mining at 36. I got like 5 mining at 200. Easier to protect, than having them scattered all over.

And I make sure each fuel source my state/private ships are using is covered.

So having 5 stations in two systems, with heavy shields and fast rate of mining is better than 20 spread out in 6 systems and slow mining. Sure each station is expensive, but when you add the cost of 20 cheap vs 5 expensive, its the same again.

This is how I got rid of being known as gas station rebuilder.
Post #: 1
RE: all your base - 12/3/2012 9:45:55 PM   
Bingeling

Control your area.

I love long range scanners. I get warning of attacks, and can put a medium sized defensive fleet at the target. If they only send a raider fleet, it dies before killing the mine. If they send a larger fleet the mine will die, but you can do some damage. Also, the scanner will show their direction, which will either be a new mine to kill, or typically towards their refueling point. Scan the systems they head for to locate possible fuel locations, and kill their fuel source.

If in a ship design mood, I make a long range scanning explorer variant. Jump to empty systems in their area (the best one has nothing in them) and order other fleets to kill any base revealed. Run some rings with the scanning explorers to cover more area. If you don't use this option, you can be quite sure that "large" systems with lots of planets of moons in their "old" areas are full of bases. Jump into those even if you only know the lineup and kill everything, but beware that small fleets can end up dead this way.

The best position of a long range scanner, being a monitoring station or some scanning ship is on the lines from their areas towards yours. Just as scanners on the approach from gas clouds is the best way to intercept pirates at all times.

Lacking the troops to conquer their major colonies? Do quick raids and clear the systems of those colonies of mining bases. This require a bit micro management, though, as ships usually end up killing themselves on the space port if left alone.

Don't let them celebrate the 3 mines they killed in your area. Let them cry about the 30 mines and 3 space ports destroyed while they were away .

(in reply to Cruis.In)
Post #: 2
RE: all your base - 12/4/2012 2:21:03 AM   
Cruis.In

yeh, my above strategy solved the problem, and much less micromanagement needed. Less space to defend, nothing being blown up either.

From early in the game now I make a design which can even ward off pirates. Everything is custom built. And automatically upgrade latest design, swaps out all old components with new ones without changing my design. If i want to add more of something specific I can do that, since better research usually equals more space to work with, since you have more fuel, more space, more mining etc with less components than before.

I think once you get to his level of design and planning, especially based on the bad experiences the AI can't challenge you anymore.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> all your base Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI