Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ot-Burmese spits.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ot-Burmese spits. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ot-Burmese spits. - 9/21/2012 8:39:01 PM   
crsutton

Never heard anything else about the supposedly magical cache of buried spitfires since the initial news broke a few months ago. Anyone heard any news on the status?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Post #: 1
RE: Ot-Burmese spits. - 9/21/2012 8:56:27 PM   
Califvol

Still in the land of fairy tales. Not one spit has been found. Just a WW II file that says where they are "suppose" to be. The guy behind it all is trying to get all the insane number of t's crossed to allow export before he begins the search/recovery. While the article says he has been to Burma at the location undisclosed, it doesn't say he has actually found any Spits at this point. Based on personal experience in recovering items bruied for a long time, IF he finds them, he may find the preservation not quite what he expected. But, heck, till he finds them that's just pure conjecture on my part.

(Of course given my choices I'd hope this guy is 100% correct and all those Spits get recovered. Just doesn't seem likely to me. Most likely to me is that he is probably spot on for location, but will find the wood crates and tar paper rotted away many a year ago and metal parts rusted beyond recovery. None of the articles lead me to believe they were buried for preservation purposes but rather they were buried for destructive purposes in their shipping crates. Meaning anybody's guess as to condtion. However, like I said I do hope he pulls this off.)

See article here from Aug this year:

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured-article/final-push-in-battle-to-save-the-burma-spitfires-36-of-the-mark-xiv-spitfires-back-to-britain-in-november.html

< Message edited by Califvol -- 9/21/2012 9:11:06 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2
RE: Ot-Burmese spits. - 9/21/2012 8:59:10 PM   
melspence_MatrixForum

Not so sure this story ios reporting progress

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2012/08/16/campaigners-set-to-win-return-of-36-castle-bromwich-made-spitfires-to-britain-97319-31631956/

(in reply to Califvol)
Post #: 3
RE: Ot-Burmese spits. - 9/22/2012 5:09:39 PM   
crsutton

Ah, I thought they were found but in some sort of legal dispute. Shows you how crappy information on the web can be. Sort of like the Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to melspence_MatrixForum)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ot-Burmese spits. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI