Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I can't buy this!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> I can't buy this! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I can't buy this! - 12/27/2012 3:05:31 PM   
Canuck_jp

I'm intrigued by this game but there seem to be some fairly important problems that are holding it back at least as far as I can see in the demo. One of them is definitely not my fault and one of them could be because I haven't fully learned how the game works yet.
First, what's up with different elements of the UI covering each other? If you look at this picture not only are the command card (or whatever they're called)icons covering up my selected unit's stats but when I hover over the bottom icon I can't even read what the command card says! What the hell is up with that?

Secondly, and this may be due to me being an amateur but when I try the first Partisans scenario (not the tutorial) and I select a unit, there seems to be no way to deselect that unit and move another unit! I may be doing something wrong but in the Partisans tutorial scenario (essentially the same scenario) I could easily select and deselect all my different units with no problems whatsoever.
I'd like to buy this game some time but not at $30 and certainly not with the basic UI problems that it seems to have.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/27/2012 4:05:59 PM   
IronFist00

Hi Canuck35 and welcome to both the forums and what I consider a great tactical wargame. I can't answer you first question (although it might be something to do with resolutions being used in the game - Eric from WCS might have to answer this one). However I can answer the second one (I hope).

Pressing the Escape key will always deselect any unit selected. It sounds like you have Classic AP set in the Rules Options from the Main menu. That's the style that mimics the board game. If this is true, then the game is working properly as deselecting a unit would spend all it's APs so the developers didn't want someone to be able to do it accidentally. The other mode is Persistent AP which is the PC specific mode and that you can click off a unit and return to whenever you want. In either case, Escape works to deselect.

I would recommend staying with the Classic Mode (my preferred mode of play) and checking out the board game rules PDF located here. However you might find the Persistent rules easier to get into first and the tutorial shows off those.

Whichever way you decide, have fun!

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 2
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/27/2012 4:09:48 PM   
ericbabe

What pixel height is your screen? We tested for 768 or higher. At 768 some things might overlap a bit, but I thought the card tool-tips were still displaying properly.

When playing with the Classic AP rules as you were, one needs to press the button with the empty-set symbol on it to finish a unit's activation or press the escape key. I didn't want to allow this to happen casually -- such as by clicking on another unit or on the map-board -- because ending a unit's activation inadvertently would be very regrettable.

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 3
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/27/2012 6:19:29 PM   
z1812

You may want to play persistent AP's to start. Conflict of Heroes is a great game once you play a little bit and understand what is happening. Hopefully you will get your display problems sorted out.

< Message edited by z1812 -- 12/27/2012 6:21:27 PM >

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 4
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/27/2012 9:00:25 PM   
budd

I'm really enjoying the game, but the UI bugs me too. I'm guessing it looks just fine and no overlap on higher resolution bigger monitors. There is not alot of screen left for me with all the info boxes open. I tried the classic AP system, but i find i enjoy the persistent AP system more, it just flows better.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 5
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/27/2012 10:20:12 PM   
HowieWowie

I don't have the answer but a question. First I've just started playing myself. I've completed the tutorials and really like what I've seen. On the board game side I've played ASL, CC,etc but not CoH. I think this will really scratch that itch. So now the question:

Classic AP vs Persistent AP I don't see anything about this in the manual? Or even a setting in the game? Can someone please give me the quick summary.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 6
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/28/2012 12:01:37 AM   
IronFist00

Persistent AP is how the PC game plays by default. Classic AP is the way the board game plays. Another poster asked basically this same question and here's the way I answered it:

I'm biased but I think it gives a decent rundown of Classic and how it differs. Hopefully it'll answer you question too.

< Message edited by VR_IronFist -- 12/28/2012 12:03:11 AM >

(in reply to HowieWowie)
Post #: 7
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/28/2012 1:33:25 AM   
Canuck_jp

Thanks for the responses guys. I will start another game and make sure that persistent AP's are checked. I didn't select Classic so that must be the default option. Strange that it isn't that way in the tutorial. As for my resolution, I run 1366x768 which is a pretty common resolution for laptops in my opinion. It would be nice if the card pop up popped up in the same position on the screen no matter which icon you hover over.

(in reply to IronFist00)
Post #: 8
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/28/2012 2:21:32 AM   
Canuck_jp

Ok I went back and tried it and things went fine once I was able to escape to choose another unit. I think I'll try persistent APs next time.
Very good game but I'm not going to bite at $30. I see I missed out on the $20 off coupon back in October-curse me for not reading those newsletters more carefully! Hopefully there's another deal sometime soon.

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 9
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/28/2012 2:52:07 AM   
IronFist00

I believe it's currently on sale for 25% off.

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 10
RE: I can't buy this! - 12/28/2012 4:47:05 AM   
e_barkmann

You need to change the title of the thread to 'I won't buy this' :-)

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to IronFist00)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> I can't buy this! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI