Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Depth Charges

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Depth Charges Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Depth Charges - 1/11/2003 11:15:19 AM   
SoulBlazer

I'm not really farmilar with the depth charges that both sides use in UV, and they are not really talked about in my WWII books.

Can anyone tell me some information, or where to find it, on them? Especily if one is better then the other (Type 91 aganist 93, for example) and when they were used and what kinds of ships?
Post #: 1
- 1/11/2003 11:50:38 AM   
PzB74

Here you got a link with some info

US ASW

http://www.warships1.com/Weapons/WAMUS_ASW.htm

Japanese ASW

http://www.warships1.com/Weapons/WAMJAP_ASW.htm

That should provide you with all you want to know : )

"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 2
- 1/11/2003 10:37:06 PM   
m10bob

I read a book once,(might have been "Dark Victory") which was a very detailed history of the U.S. sub service in the Pacific during WW2 and I recall it claiming the Allied sub skippers realized by approx mid 1942 that "all" Japanese depth charges were released to explode at approx 40 feet (or so),and knowing this,it became standard practice to just go deeper than this and not risk the Japanese changing their depths..I seem to recall this supposedly was the case until mid 1944?.......I think the book was written by Clay Blair?..(It was actually 2 books..I still have them,around here somewhere)..

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 3
Check out "Naval Weapons of World War II" - 1/12/2003 1:05:57 AM   
wesy

This book is by John Campbell and it's a definitive source of...you guessed it Naval Weapons. It's pretty cool stuff. I just got my copy from US Naval Institute. I believe the site is [url]www.usni.org[/url] if memory serves correct.

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 4
- 1/12/2003 6:25:17 PM   
Hard Sarge

there is an old story, about subs and the dropping of DC's on them (forget where I read it at)

seems the IJN DD commanders, talked to the Sub commanders and found out how deep they could go if under attack, so seeing how deep the IJN subs could go, would be the ideal range to have there DC's go off when hunting US subs, they can do things that we can't do

of course, the US subs could dive deeper then the IJN subs, later the US commanders would talk about how dumb the other guy was, for that kind of thinking, just because we can't do it, they can't do it

BUT...

on the other side of the war, the Allies went and did the same thing, our subs can only dive this deep, no way the GE subs can go deeper, which of course, the GE subs could go deeper then the Allied subs, so again, if they could get away to start with, they would be safe

HARD_Sarge

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 5
- 1/13/2003 4:56:54 AM   
Nikademus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by m10bob
[B]I read a book once,(might have been "Dark Victory") which was a very detailed history of the U.S. sub service in the Pacific during WW2 and I recall it claiming the Allied sub skippers realized by approx mid 1942 that "all" Japanese depth charges were released to explode at approx 40 feet (or so),and knowing this,it became standard practice to just go deeper than this and not risk the Japanese changing their depths..I seem to recall this supposedly was the case until mid 1944?.......I think the book was written by Clay Blair?..(It was actually 2 books..I still have them,around here somewhere).. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually your thinking of two series of books. The one devoted to the Pacific, and the USN Silent Service was titled "Silent Victory" and is a one volume piece. (and yes, the IJN did too often set their depth too shallow which US Commanders soon discovered) Silent Victory is more widely available now (originally debuted in 1976 and out of print for a long time.....despite it's age its still arguably the definitive source on the sub-war....its only chief weakness is that unlike the below, it focuses almost entirely on the USN side of it, leaving the Japanese and their ASW efforts a shadowy mystery.

The two-volume series was his "Hitler's U-boat War". By far the more controversial of his works. Highly recommended though a very fatiguing read. Pad and pencil a must too or you'll never keep all the commander's name's straight ;)

(in reply to SoulBlazer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Depth Charges Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI