Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

? on why pacfic types.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> ? on why pacfic types. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
? on why pacfic types. - 2/13/2001 12:26:00 PM   
krull

Maybe should be on another forum but I have noticed in league play as well as in just friendly talk most do not play alot pacfic battles unless its a sceniro. Correct me if im worng. I liek them it comes down to sheer tactics where as in alot europe africa battles it comes down to sheer firepower. Or at least battles i seen. WB's campaigns showed me not all of it is but alot player battles I notice bigger guns heaveir tanks or simple numbers BOOM yer dead. Or hurt badly. Is it becaus emany dont like long drawn out jungle fights or beech assaults? Could be im just nuts to but i had to ask

Krull
Post #: 1
- 2/14/2001 1:12:00 AM   
lnp4668

Maybe because WWII is mostly a strugle between european powers? In the US, the pacific was mostly a delay action until the defeat of Germany. The nationality of the people who plays spwaw could also play a factor.

"My friends, remember this, that there are no bad herbs, and no bad men; there are only bad cultivators." Les Miserables

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 2
- 2/14/2001 2:47:00 AM   
Bonzo

True about nationality of the player having an impact on play choice. I play a lot of battles from the Canadian or Brit side & not all historical. I enjoy early making era battles with countries like Begium, Rumania, Bulgaria playing against each other. Getting a better armoured car or machinegun really boosts performance with these countries in '31-39. And the fighting is really a hoot against another player. ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://nwbattalion.tripod.com E-mail [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 3
- 2/14/2001 8:16:00 AM   
CaptainBrian

Being a U.S. Marine, having spent a lot of time in Japan and having walked some of the ground (Tinian, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Guam, Phillipines) I particularly enjoy playing the Pacific Battles. Just as Bonzo and Inp4668 said, it's probably as much a function of the individual player's interests and experiences as much as anything else.

CaptainBrian

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 4
- 2/14/2001 9:46:00 AM   
BruceAZ

I agree with Captain Brian. It's a matter of choice. I would bet there are more that like European campaigns rather than anything else like the pacific or africa. For me, because I am an ex-Marine, and spent months touring many of the battle sites in the Pacific (Saipan, Guam, Tinian, Truk, Yap and American Somoa)and have a strong love of history, like playing battles from the pacific rather than european side. I did have an interest in the British point of view during the North African campaign though... Bruce AZ Semper Fi ------------------ "The most important element in war is man. And there are no tougher men than my China Marines." Major Gen. Archer 'Archy' Vandegrift, 1st Marine Division

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 5
- 2/14/2001 10:56:00 PM   
Windo von Paene

Or perhaps it's because the maps generated by the Battle Generator for pacific battles are so "un-pacific" like? Playing one now, and it looks nothing like a jungle...

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 6
- 2/15/2001 7:41:00 PM   
bbbf

I think a lot of it comes down to tanks! Allied tanks v Jap tanks are a complete mismatch. So Pac battles are infantry slogs, and a lot of people like the glamour of armour!

Robert Lee

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 7
- 2/18/2001 3:19:00 AM   
Viriato

Hello all . for my part I'm Portuguese and honestly love all pacific battles , the problem maybe , besides the not-so-pacific like on the generated maps , is that there aren't many around ... ------------------ A sorte protege os audazes

A sorte protege os audazes

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 8
- 2/19/2001 5:43:00 AM   
BruceAZ

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Viriato: Hello all . for my part I'm Portuguese and honestly love all pacific battles , the problem maybe , besides the not-so-pacific like on the generated maps , is that there aren't many around ... [/Try going to Tankheads web site and downloading Guadalcanal 1942 if you want Pacific action.]

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 9
- 2/19/2001 7:49:00 AM   
USMCGrunt

One of my favorite things about Pacific battles over European battles, is the fact that it was less of a technological contest and more a contest of wills. Most Pacific battles boiled down to men slogging through the muck and heat and still having the will to fight. Most tanks were the lighter M3's and variants (With the occasional Sherman or Sherman flame as the war went on), and it was less about throwing amazing gee-whiz technology around then the heart of the average infantryman. I just love the infantry assault scenarios where my LVT's are grinding towards shore and I'm just waiting for the shells to start falling. What can I say.... I'm a Marine. It's in the blood. ------------------ USMCGrunt -When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 10
- 2/19/2001 8:58:00 AM   
CaptainBrian

quote:

Originally posted by USMCGrunt: I just love the infantry assault scenarios where my LVT's are grinding towards shore and I'm just waiting for the shells to start falling. What can I say.... I'm a Marine. It's in the blood.
I'm with USMCGrunt... I can almost hear the 1MC blare out "Land the Landing Force!!!" and smell the diesel fumes of a long LCAC/LCU or AAV ride.

CaptainBrian

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 11
- 2/19/2001 9:52:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Gotta love the Pacific! My favorite theater of war. It always has been, since I saw "Sands of Iwo Jima" (at a theater in 1950 not from a VCR! :eek Don't get me wrong, the European, Mediterranean and CBI theaters certainly have their appeal. And the East Front..wow, tank battles galore! But no greater thrill than Bloody Ridge, Ilu River, Betio-Red Beach Two, Iwo, and on and on...Gotta love it! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 12
- 2/19/2001 1:11:00 PM   
Randy

To USMCGrunt and CaptainBrian, Amtracs RULE!! Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 13
- 2/19/2001 7:34:00 PM   
USMCGrunt

quote:

Originally posted by Randy: To USMCGrunt and CaptainBrian, Amtracs RULE!! Semper Fi Randy
You should see the spec on the new AAAV project Randy. A whole lot more bang for your buck. Not sure when they plan to implement them, or if the project is still on track, but they were looking pretty good when I got out in '94 ------------------ USMCGrunt -When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

USMCGrunt Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?" But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll! -Rudyard Kipling-

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 14
- 2/19/2001 10:31:00 PM   
1stSgt USMC

quote:

Originally posted by USMCGrunt: You should see the spec on the new AAAV project Randy. A whole lot more bang for your buck. Not sure when they plan to implement them, or if the project is still on track, but they were looking pretty good when I got out in '94
http://www.generaldynamics.com/prod_serv/combat/land/aaav.htm Start drooling Gator lovers ------------------ 1stSgt Semper Fi "Steel on Target" Company B 1st Tank Bn

1stSgt Semper Fi "Steel on Target" Company B 1st Tank Bn

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 15
- 2/20/2001 5:56:00 AM   
Viriato

Thanks bruce . ------------------ A sorte protege os audazes

A sorte protege os audazes

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 16
- 2/20/2001 6:53:00 AM   
USMCGrunt

Thanks 1stSgt. Couldn't remember off the top of my head who was developing the bugger. (Brain damage is acting up again). Just like I remembered it though. Faster, better armed, and better armored. The AMTRACK guys are gonna love these things. ------------------ USMCGrunt -When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight.

(in reply to krull)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> ? on why pacfic types. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI