Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game......

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game...... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game...... - 1/31/2013 5:22:30 PM   
TheGreatRadish

So, after spending most of the last several months playing either tactical (CM and PC:O) or strategical (CTGW, HoI3) games, I've now got the itch for an operational-level game. This grew out of my having received Unity of Command as a gift - it's a brilliant game, really enjoyed it and its scale but I want to move on to something a little more detailed. So, I'm here for advice.

I've got limited intellectual capacity and, as much as I love what I see of WitE, I have to be honest and admit that I don't think I could handle it. It scares me. Far, far too many units Also, I have a time issue too I suppose.

Also, I'm looking for hex and counter boardgame-like titles at a level more advanced than UoC or Panzer Corps but below WitE. That rules out Command Ops, which I already own. I love the game, still go back to it frequently but it's not what I'm looking for here. I should also admit that I own TOAW3 but that I found it hard to play and get into - I tried again yesterday but the spark just isn't there.

I think I'm gravitating towards either one of the Decisive Campaigns games or John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns. I've downloaded the demo of the latter and it seems pretty good, nothing particularly overwhelming in there. There's detail if I want it but I can also just forge a general plan and push some counters about and still have fun. I'd like to hear more about it if any of you have solid knowledge of the system?

Decisive Campaigns intrigues me - I've been on the verge of buying a few times but back out for fear of ending up with something WitE-like that's beyond me. Can you play the game without being drowned in data and numbers of units? Is the interface intuitive? Is it likely to be fun for someone with my mindset and not just a chore? I think it might be but I need to be sure before I buy.

Thanks in advance for your input - also open to any other suggestions you might have

< Message edited by TheGreatRadish -- 1/31/2013 5:48:57 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 1/31/2013 5:39:32 PM   
wodin

Decisive Campaigns...Tillers series are great..but I think DC has more visual appeal and the game mechanics with the cards etc really ad a new dimension.

I come from really a tactical scale and still find DC abit daunting..I love the linked 6th Army campaign though, a great size and the AI is damn fine in it aswell. It also slowly introduces new concepts..but follow Comrade P's AAR...The Case Blue campaign and most of the others I'm daunted by but one day I will play them. Funny enough I find Tillers games less daunting as there are really less decisions to make like card playing etc etc..I'd say there more grand tactical. Still I'd go for Vics game if I was you.

(in reply to TheGreatRadish)
Post #: 2
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 1/31/2013 7:50:30 PM   
Josh

+1 to the above, plus I can add that Jason Petho is still working on his addon for the JTCS namely "Modern Wars" and if I'm correct he should be reasonably close to a gold version of it. Not much action going on there in the subforum, but the game is still alive and kicking. Ofcourse Vic's game is great and you can buy it straight away, you would have to wait for Modern Wars just a little bit longer.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 2/1/2013 4:57:59 AM   
KG Erwin

Let me recomend the AGEOD game "Birth of America 2". If you like American history in the 18th-early 19th century, this is the game for you. The game is not overly complex, but it it has a unique system that takes a bit of study to get accustomed to it. I've owned this game since 2008 and the number of scenarios/campaigns allow for plenty of replays without it ever getting boring or repetitive. The game system does not use hexes, but county-sized regions, which allows it to realistically portray the logistical difficulties faced by commanders in the time period.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/1/2013 4:59:47 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 2/3/2013 6:47:41 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Let me recomend the AGEOD game "Birth of America 2". If you like American history in the 18th-early 19th century, this is the game for you. The game is not overly complex, but it it has a unique system that takes a bit of study to get accustomed to it. I've owned this game since 2008 and the number of scenarios/campaigns allow for plenty of replays without it ever getting boring or repetitive. The game system does not use hexes, but county-sized regions, which allows it to realistically portray the logistical difficulties faced by commanders in the time period.

KG Erwin is spot on with "Birth of America 2".

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 2/3/2013 8:30:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

KG Erwin is spot on with "Birth of America 2".
warspite1

CTGW

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 6
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 2/4/2013 4:55:23 PM   
TheGreatRadish

Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to go with DC:WtP I think, then Case Blue of I like it sufficiently. I'm busy with other things right now but will put it on my list. As ever with so many of the game here, a demo would have been nice.

BoA 2 looks ok, just not my scene I'm afraid warspite1 - I've already got CTGW as mentioned in my OP. I spent a very happy festive period playing that, looking forward to seeing what the future holds for it. I don't really consider it operational though, more strat-level.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 7
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 2/4/2013 6:20:35 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGreatRadish

Ok, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to go with DC:WtP I think, then Case Blue of I like it sufficiently. I'm busy with other things right now but will put it on my list. As ever with so many of the game here, a demo would have been nice.

BoA 2 looks ok, just not my scene I'm afraid warspite1 - I've already got CTGW as mentioned in my OP. I spent a very happy festive period playing that, looking forward to seeing what the future holds for it. I don't really consider it operational though, more strat-level.

Ah man you are gpnna love DC: WtP. Good luck.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 8
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 2/5/2013 1:40:44 PM   
trebcourie

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGreatRadish

I'm with you. There are a lot of games I've shied away from because of the lack of a demo.

Post #: 9
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 2/5/2013 1:45:50 PM   
trebcourie

I feel like a schoolteacher asking in this way, but...

Can someone compare and contrast the Command Ops games with the Decisive Campaign games? If I only want to get one, which one and why?

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 10
RE: Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game... - 2/5/2013 2:31:16 PM   
budd

Those are both great games. It just may come down to what mood your in. I like to play games with different systems. DC is igo- ugo with long campaigns and cards cards to spice things up. CO is pauseable real time with operations that play out over days, you can command at any level you chose and the AI does a good job following your orders. I own the older CO game HTTR and enjoyed it a lot. I would watch the CO concepts and tutorial YouTube videos and play the demo. In fact I just finished the videos and I am starting the demo. They both have responsive developers , so you cant go wrong there. Which ever way you go those are both great games, like I said might come down to what your in the mood for.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Approachable, mid-level complexity operational game...... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI