Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Your favourite Map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Your favourite Map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your favourite Map - 12/14/2002 2:25:49 AM   
IChristie

Looks like we are getting geared up to start on some more maps. So far we have a generic central Germany map and a generic northern Germany map (pics were posted some time ago, I can repost if everyone needs a reminder).

We plan to have several more (not sure exactly how many right now) for the game. Most of the remainder will be based as closely as possible on real world locations.

So we are soliciting suggestions for map locations. Remember each map is 15x20km. The more specific you can be the better (right down to the UTM coordinates if you have them). If you have pictures or a scan of an actual map that would be good too.

No need to restrict yourself to a single location either, suggest as many as you like...

Iain Christie
-----------------
"If patience is a virtue then persistence is it's part.
It's better to light a candle than stand and curse the dark"

- James Keelaghan
Post #: 1
- 12/14/2002 7:46:43 AM   
byron13

Iain!!!! Hi, guy. I look forward to your AARs on Flashpoint. Sure enjoyed the ones from UV.

As for your request, I'll just have to take a spin around my old GDP map to see if there is anything interesting. I'm thinking the Putlach Trench would be interesting - basically a canyon from the western U.S. that someone accidentally placed in Germany.

I'll see if I can't find the map screens you were referring to and see what kind of terrain you're using already. Any particular kind of terrain you don't have yet? Heavy urban, major river/canal, heavily wooded, major hills/mountains, etc.? Or are you simply looking for something interesting or quirky?

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 2
Reduced Versions of the Maps - 12/14/2002 11:00:30 AM   
IChristie

Here's a couple quarter scale versions of the maps

Central Germany
[IMG]http://ftp.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/images/FGCentralGermanyMap.jpg[/IMG]

Northern Germany
[IMG]http://ftp.militarygameronline.com/closecombatian/images/FPGNorthernGermanyMap.jpg[/IMG]

Iain Christie
-----------------

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 3
- 12/16/2002 5:28:33 AM   
DavidW75

Is there someone we can email them to, or should we just post them here?

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 4
- 12/16/2002 7:09:11 AM   
IChristie

You can post up to 1Mb here. Otherwise, drop me a line through the forum and I will send you my direct e-mail.

ic

Iain Christie
-----------------

- James Keelaghan

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 5
- 12/16/2002 12:10:13 PM   
DavidW75

I'll have to play around with them tomorrow, and see what size I can get the files down to. They're scanned topo maps I've collected. I've posted some examples here before.
I can think of a couple areas that are a must. The "Three Sisters" in the Fulda Gap was my first thought. I'll get back to you.

David

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 6
- 12/18/2002 12:39:06 PM   
DavidW75

I've been unable to upload the maps I have. I've zipped them up, they're about 800kb. So far I've come up with Springe, Hameln, and of course the Three Sisters (near Rasdorf in the Gap).

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 7
- 1/26/2003 4:10:08 AM   
byron13

I'd mentioned this area to Robert in an informal e-mail. Waaaay down south just north of Nuernberg, there's an area called the Fraenkische Schweiz - or Little Switzerland as the Americans called it. There's a geological feature that I believe is called the Putlach Trench there. The trench is - unusually for northern Europe - basically a canyon that runs about fifteen kilometers. In SPI's Mech War '7x (with x being the year - was it '76? '79?) it was represented by two unpassable hex sides. I calculate the grid coordinates as being PA 5008 to 6020 to 7316.

Not sure what you can do with it, but it is an interesting feature with interesting challenges. I think there may be some lateral access by road, and maybe it sets up a scenario with a light infantry force trying to prevent armored units from crossing through it, or something.

Another fun one for old hands would be to fight a battle taking place in one of the training areas, e.g., Grafenwoehr, Hohenfels, Wildflecken, or the big one in the west that V Corps used.

The Main/Donau Canal was to be used as a defensive barrier. Good water crossing scenario. There were also plans to possibly blow the Canal to flood low lands as an obstacle. Have fun figuring out what would get flooded, but that might provide some interesting challenges to a Soviet force.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 8
- 1/26/2003 7:39:08 AM   
Sabre21

Hi Byron

Here is an aerial pic of one end of Little Switzerland. If I remember right, this was the south end looking north into the valley.

Andy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 9
- 1/28/2003 11:21:22 PM   
DavidW75

:D My CD with German topo maps arrived. 1:200,000 scale, like the ones posted earlier.

As soon as I pick up a German/English dictionary I'll really be able to do some cool stuff. Impressive program already, considering my German is very basic, I can't wait to see what all those other buttons will do :eek:

First map I'll post will be of Little Switzerland.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 10
- 1/30/2003 9:29:47 PM   
byron13

Sabre:

That would appear to be a portion of the valley. There are certainly steeper portions with rock walls that we rapelled down in an earlier time and a couple of old watch tower ruins. Gee, after the big build up in my e-mail, your picture kind of makes it look like your next door neighbor valley. Thanks, Sabre, thanks.

For some reason, our company was lifted out of Erlangen on Blackhawks - maybe for a GDP walk or something. Anyway, coming back they flew us down the valley at about the height of the crest on either side. It was a real accordion ride with the pilots not being able to see too far ahead. They'd slow up going around a turn, and each pilot behind them would haul back on the cyclic to keep from running into the guy in front. They did have two helos collide there while I was in Germany.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 11
- 1/30/2003 10:10:26 PM   
Sabre21

Hi Byron

When were you there?

Anyways, that shot is at the end of the valley. I remember flying down it too and there are some hairpin curves...fun in a Cobra:)

Sabre21

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 12
- 1/30/2003 10:50:29 PM   
byron13

I was there from '83 - '87. Ahh, the good 'ole days when Reagan made us fat.

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 13
- 1/31/2003 3:25:50 AM   
Sabre21

Those were the good days. I was at Giebelstadt with the 3ID from jan 83 - Dec 85, then went back and was with the Cav at Schweinfurt (3ID again) from Aug 88 to Jun 90.

I got to participate in the last and biggest Reforger in 88. 125k US troops alone were in that exercise....I miss that kind of fun.

Sabre21

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 14
- 2/4/2003 8:28:15 AM   
DavidW75

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sabre21
[B]

Here is an aerial pic of one end of Little Switzerland. If I remember right, this was the south end looking north into the valley.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IChristie)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> FlashPoint Germany >> Your favourite Map Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI