Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

changing planet and moon names

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> changing planet and moon names Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
changing planet and moon names - 6/20/2013 1:50:34 PM   
elanaagain

I've just started digging into modding DW-shadows. Any suggestions from you experienced modders on how I might go about modding the names of planets and moons in Shadows. Mostly I am very frustrated with the expansion planner scattering the moons from the planet/system in which they exist. When sorting by name, I want the moons to show 'with'the system they are in. advice appreciated,
Post #: 1
RE: changing planet and moon names - 6/20/2013 3:41:14 PM   
Osito

If I understand you correctly, the simplest way to do this would be to make sure the planets have the generic star system names, like:

Algol 1
Algol 2
Algol 3
Algol 4

etc., then name the moons in line with the same type of notation. For example, if Algol 3 had two moons, you would call them:

Algol 3 Moon 1
Algol 3 Moon 2

etc.

It's inelegant, but it will work.

Of course, if I've misunderstood what you mean, then this will be no help at all :-)

I should also add that as far as I'm aware, the only way to mod the non-standard planet and moon names (i.e. the ones that aren't just Starname 1, Starname 2, etc.) is to do it via the game editor after you have started a game. If there's a way to mod them outside the game editor, then I'd be interested to learn what it is.

Osito

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 2
RE: changing planet and moon names - 6/20/2013 10:46:26 PM   
elanaagain

Thanks Ostco, I did understand the nomenclature necessary to implement this re-naming. The request is in the wish thread. What i am asking is HOW do I go about adding this info to the game? The stars txt file names stars, not planets and moons. How do I access the name of planets/moons in the DW game without using the game editor, (which would only work for that game, and reveal the systems to me?)? I cannot fined them in any folder, etc., Sorry I wasn't clearer in my question. Anyone?

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 3
RE: changing planet and moon names - 6/20/2013 10:53:27 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: elanaagain

Thanks Ostco, I did understand the nomenclature necessary to implement this re-naming. The request is in the wish thread. What i am asking is HOW do I go about adding this info to the game? The stars txt file names stars, not planets and moons. How do I access the name of planets/moons in the DW game without using the game editor, (which would only work for that game, and reveal the systems to me?)? I cannot fined them in any folder, etc., Sorry I wasn't clearer in my question. Anyone?

Ok, as far as I know that's not possible. I did go as far as searching the game folders to see whether I could find any of the pre-assigned moon and planet names, and, like you, I couldn't find them, so I don't believe they're in straight text files. Anything else is beyond my limited computing skills.

(in reply to elanaagain)
Post #: 4
RE: changing planet and moon names - 6/21/2013 5:17:53 AM   
elanaagain

Thx for confirming that i did not miss a file somewhere. I hope the company makes that list accessible in the future.

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 5
RE: changing planet and moon names - 6/24/2013 3:24:33 PM   
Solarius Scorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: OsitoOk, as far as I know that's not possible. I did go as far as searching the game folders to see whether I could find any of the pre-assigned moon and planet names, and, like you, I couldn't find them, so I don't believe they're in straight text files. Anything else is beyond my limited computing skills.

The designers' logic never ceases to amaze me.

Forever Future 1.7 for Call to Power - the biggest mod for the best Civilization-like game ever!

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 6
RE: changing planet and moon names - 6/25/2013 8:45:38 AM   
zonks

Something I have discovered after naming each planet I colonize is that the game records the names you use, and uses them when generating a new galaxy, basically building up a database.

(in reply to Solarius Scorch)
Post #: 7
RE: changing planet and moon names - 6/25/2013 10:46:56 PM   
elanaagain

Nice to know

USA = Corporatist Serfdom of America: free range surf technology

(in reply to zonks)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> changing planet and moon names Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI