Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

France Goes to Conakry, 1984

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> France Goes to Conakry, 1984 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/3/2022 5:51:43 PM   
Mgellis

It's been a while since I've submitted a beta for testing, but here is a new scenario. A Cold War clash between France and the Soviet Union...what's not to love?

As always, please let me know what you think. Any issues, problems, errors, etc. Anything not working properly? Anything I can do to make this a more fun and challenging scenario?

Thanks!

[version 2 uploaded 10:45 PM EST 2/12/2021]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mgellis -- 2/13/2022 2:50:00 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/3/2022 5:56:18 PM   
stilesw

Welcome back Mark. Always good to see your scenarios!

-Wayne

“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 2
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/3/2022 6:45:32 PM   
mikkey

Nice to see you again Mark and thanks for new scenario!

(in reply to stilesw)
Post #: 3
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/3/2022 8:16:02 PM   
HalfLifeExpert

Sweet! Thanks Mark! Great to have you back!

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 4
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/3/2022 8:42:34 PM   
BDukes

Great to see you here again Mark! Scenario looks awesome

Mike

Don't call it a comeback...

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 5
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/3/2022 9:22:35 PM   
Coiler12

Glad to see you back and making Command scenarios in obscure parts of the world!

(in reply to BDukes)
Post #: 6
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/5/2022 2:59:05 AM   
Tom Konczal

I am using the October 27th official CMO program and have not added any beta updates. I tried your scenario but am told I don't have the proper database. What is wrong?
Thanks
Tom Konczal

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 7
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/6/2022 8:32:46 PM   
AndrewJ

I had a little time at the end of the weekend for a short scenario, and this fit right in.

With word of belligerent Soviets in the area, our ships were ordered to form up into a tight task group, while the Atlantique took off to reconnoitre the area. Its powerful radar immediately detected a number of local fishermen, and a group of four ships coming up from the south at 13 knots. A visual reconnaissance quickly confirmed these to be the Soviets: a Sovremenny, a Kara, a landing ship, and an oiler. The Sovremenny is definitely the worst of the lot, with good SAMs and nasty supersonic long-range ASMs which greatly outperform my feebler Exocets. They've got a helicopter up too, hunting with its radar.

My ships turn and head north, trying to stay out of radar range as long as possible, while our Atlantique lays down a series of sonobuoy lines and retires to high altitude to monitor the situation. Apparently there's a Soviet sub of some sort in the area, and we might catch it in transit. Our oiler detaches and is sent NNW at high speed. It has no place in a fight, and the sooner it's out of here the better. As time passes we get pushed north to the extreme end of our area, up near Kamsar. At least the water here is very shallow, which means it's unlikely the sub is in the area.

Some hours pass, but eventually I either have to retire totally, and abandon the area, or admit that I'm going to be detected by the helicopter. We elect to stay, and the Soviets keep coming north, knowing full well where we are. By 8:00 in the morning we're well within their ASM range, and nearly in SAM range, and that's just too close. Our group moves at high speed west and then south, skirting the northbound Soviets. This pushes me out of my assigned AO, but the admiralty's just going to have to live with that.

At 8:30, the loitering Atlantique suddenly gets a hit on one of its passive sonobuoys down south. It's a slow-moving Charlie, creeping along at 5 knots, and the Atlantique sets up a series of buoys in its path as it monitors the sub's progress. Unfortunately, our ships are skirting south and then east around the northbound Russians, and that's going to put them well within the Charlie's missile range. The commodore orders the Lynxes to switch over to ASW loadouts (instead of the dubiously effective AS-12s), in case they have to take over surveillance when the Atlantique leaves in a few hours.

At 10:15 our eastbound ships are behind the northbound Russian task group, and only 17 miles from the Charlie, when torpedoes are suddenly detected in the water. We're not even remotely in torpedo range, but one of the local fishing boats is, and it vanishes in a booming cloud of spray. The Atlantique stoops down from high altitude, and quickly sinks the Charlie with a torpedo of its own.

The main Soviet task group is still headed north towards Kamsar, and our ships turn and hurry in pursuit, while one of the Guinean MiG-17s makes passes over the Russian ships, which seem to tolerate the intruder. Eventually it manages to gun down the helicopter which is on radar picket duty, and is promptly shot down by a single SAM. Interestingly, this means my ships are no longer on Soviet radar, and they accelerate northwards at flank speed.

The Soviets are closing on Kamsar, but I'm not certain if they're actually going to be able to bombard shore targets. The little Guinean patrol boat Shershen makes a high speed dash towards the enemy ships, but that's suicidal, and it is soon sunk by gunfire. Shortly after noon the Soviets prove their intent when the lead destroyer opens fire on shore facilities. We immediately salvo all of our Exocets at the group, eight at each of the warships, and are rewarded by at least one hit on the cruiser, and several hits on the destroyer, which rolls over and sinks, ending the bombardment for the moment. However, the wounded cruiser is still advancing, and will soon be in range to resume the shelling.

Fortunately, our Jaguars arrive first, roaring in at sea-skimming height, and popping up and salvoing AS-30s at the cruiser. Three more hits manage to sink damaged ship, and then they swing around to use their second shot on the landing ship. It too explodes and sinks, leaving only the oiler which comes to an indecisive stop. Our task group arrives an hour or so later, and shells it until it sinks.

Vive la France! Victory is ours, for the moment, but who knows what the Soviets will do next?

(in reply to Tom Konczal)
Post #: 8
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/6/2022 8:51:34 PM   
AndrewJ

Thanks for writing the scenario for us. It seemed to run smoothly, without any problems. The only recommendation I would make is to maybe have some of the Soviet radars on, at least in the later part of the game. They're going to be under radar surveillance for almost the entire game, so it's not as if they can hide, and they are planning for hostilities. The warning given by radar makes them much more effective at shooting down incoming Exocets than they were in my case, where they only started to defend themselves after visual detection, which was much too late.

(in reply to AndrewJ)
Post #: 9
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/7/2022 7:28:17 PM   
Mgellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Konczal

I am using the October 27th official CMO program and have not added any beta updates. I tried your scenario but am told I don't have the proper database. What is wrong?
Thanks
Tom Konczal

I think I'm using one the later betas, so that might be the trouble.

(in reply to Tom Konczal)
Post #: 10
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/7/2022 7:53:09 PM   
chrispman

The soviet task force started to shell Kamsar but posture remained neutral. Is it supposed to work like that?

< Message edited by chrispman -- 2/7/2022 7:55:03 PM >

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 11
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/8/2022 12:00:06 AM   
HalfLifeExpert

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrispman

The soviet task force started to shell Kamsar but posture remained neutral. Is it supposed to work like that?

I report the same here. Briefing tells me to prepare to defend Guinea from the Soviets, but ROE isn't 100% clear on what I can do in this situation.

I've also struggled to strike the Soviets effectively. I tried an attack with firing all my missiles within Exocet Range. The Kara is easy enough to deal with, but the Sovermenny is such a beast in this situation.

In my second attempt I brought the Jaguars in at 200 ft while the Soviets were still 'neutral'. Got close enough to fire, but was only able to get off half my missiles before return fire forced evasive maneuvers, and none of the other aircraft got off their missiles before being shot down.

Any advice?

(in reply to chrispman)
Post #: 12
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/13/2022 12:15:29 AM   
Mgellis

quote:

Yes. The neutrals and Guinea are allied. I didn't ally France with the neutrals so it would not automatically be clear where the fishing boats (which might also end up getting attacked) are located. I'll see if I can figure out a workaround for that.

< Message edited by Mgellis -- 2/13/2022 12:23:11 AM >

(in reply to chrispman)
Post #: 13
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/13/2022 12:25:17 AM   
Mgellis

I'll tweak the briefing. Thanks.

It may help to make the initial attack against the Sovermenny, which limits the Soviet ability to counterattack.

quote:

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert

quote:

I report the same here. Briefing tells me to prepare to defend Guinea from the Soviets, but ROE isn't 100% clear on what I can do in this situation.

I've also struggled to strike the Soviets effectively. I tried an attack with firing all my missiles within Exocet Range. The Kara is easy enough to deal with, but the Sovermenny is such a beast in this situation.

In my second attempt I brought the Jaguars in at 200 ft while the Soviets were still 'neutral'. Got close enough to fire, but was only able to get off half my missiles before return fire forced evasive maneuvers, and none of the other aircraft got off their missiles before being shot down.

Any advice?

< Message edited by Mgellis -- 2/13/2022 12:26:31 AM >

(in reply to HalfLifeExpert)
Post #: 14
RE: France Goes to Conakry, 1984 - 2/13/2022 2:50:48 AM   
Mgellis

Version 2 uploaded. Any additional thoughts on this one or is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack?

Thanks.

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> France Goes to Conakry, 1984 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI