Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

On the fence

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> On the fence Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
On the fence - 10/13/2013 8:50:15 PM   
Prov

I'm deciding if I should buy this game or not.Was wondering if this game has a steep learning curve to it? Never played this type of game before, been watching the videos and looks very good.
Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 9:10:10 PM   
BKLANDIN

Hi Prov,
just get it. There is a lot to learn but, the learning in Command can be very rewarding.

(in reply to Prov)
Post #: 2
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 9:10:30 PM   
frpandore@free.fr

This genre requires investment.
If you are able to spend time to learn it, community will surely help you.
It worth thé price.

Eve ate the apple...
and Pandore opened the box...

(in reply to Prov)
Post #: 3
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 9:21:22 PM   
Banquet

There's a learning curve but it does ease you in gently. The tutorials are very good - not just to get the hang of the controls, but to return to, to hone tactics and play around with the various options. It's a game you can play and enjoy without knowing everything - and have fun learning all the more detailed aspects.

As I get older and busier I find I am less able to learn complicated games like WitP, but am having a great time learning and playing Command.

(in reply to frpandore@free.fr)
Post #: 4
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 10:07:58 PM   
SSN754planker

It is a very good simulation with a community like no other. And the developers are very active with the community and are actively looking to make a great sim even better. If you have questions, just ask on the forum. The 1.01 SimHQ review will just about tell you all you need to know.

MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 5
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 10:09:30 PM   
tommo8993

I never played Harpoon because I struggled with the controls, I managed to pick this game up in about 1 hour. Its fairly easy. I'm still learning new things but I am having lots of fun.

(in reply to SSN754planker)
Post #: 6
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 10:21:30 PM   
republicofpepsi

I was a little worried myself because of the experience I had with War in the Pacific, but don't fear! I have found this game surprisingly intuitive. I was up and going within minutes. I'm still learning tactics and hardware...but the actual game and interface is very easy to pick up.

(in reply to tommo8993)
Post #: 7
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 10:26:23 PM   
Lffvet2

I did the usual thing and jumped straight in!! The mechanics are actually fairly easy to learn. How to use the individual types of units is where the thought comes in. It is through using the different platforms, that you learn the strengths and weaknesses of them.

The tutorials are very well done, and after you go through them, you should have a very good understanding of the engine.

It is well worth the effort, both as a great simulation of modern naval war, and one of the most comprehensive databases that I have ever seen!

(in reply to republicofpepsi)
Post #: 8
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 11:32:26 PM   
smudge56

I agree with the above I'm the same i have witp and witp ae. You will get alot of help from everyone in the forums. Im always asking questions.

(in reply to Lffvet2)
Post #: 9
RE: On the fence - 10/13/2013 11:34:29 PM   
SSN754planker

Been playing it for two weeks now...and i haven't touched another game. Worth every penny, and will be only getting better.

MY BOOK LIST
ST1/SS SSN 754

(in reply to Prov)
Post #: 10
RE: On the fence - 10/14/2013 1:19:21 AM   
Duck Doc

I played some computer Harpoon in my day but haven't for a long time. I was really looking forward to this title even though my gaming time is limited and I don't consider myself a grognard. I worried too about the steep learning curve.

I spent the day with the tutorials. This is the first time I have had to sit down and play since I got the game right after release. I looked at some of Baloogan's great YouTube stuff and it really helped. I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of the first tutorial. A whole air wing is a lot to wrap my brain around. I put it aside and jumped into the second tutorial. It really helped me get into the game and learn the mechanics. There are some quirks and undocumented features to the UI but got most of them worked out by trial and error and reading posts here.

I am over being intimidated by the game and UI. I will be spending a lot of my gaming time on this one for sure. It is worth every penny spent. (Put 2 torps into the BDK Udaloy but she was still floating as I surfaced to fire off my TLAM's. Wow!)

If you were ever a Harpoon player or interested in naval wargames this one is at the apex. It ain't perfect but I wouldn't know the difference and the amount of dedicated support truly amazing. You don't just buy a game. You get a ticket into a community.

Jump in. The water is just fine.

(in reply to Prov)
Post #: 11
RE: On the fence - 10/14/2013 1:55:13 AM   
Prov

Thanks for the fast replies guys!
Think I'll take the plunge and pick it up later this week.You guys have been very helpful Thanks again!

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 12
RE: On the fence - 10/14/2013 5:13:34 AM   
brassem

This game does have a real steep learning curve. Take your time to get a handle on how it works by watching reviews and tubes. Once it gets you, you will be hooked.

i7-3930K@3.2Ghz&H100liquid|ASUSP9X79Deluxe>X680/OC|32GBGSkillPC2400|2TBRaid0|Antec1200&1200WTruePower|ASUSGV278H-3D|SBX-FiT-Pro|TurtlebeachDPX21|Win7-64U

(in reply to Prov)
Post #: 13
RE: On the fence - 10/14/2013 8:16:13 PM   
Bedrock

The best thing is you can get into editor mode on any scenario and see how it is actually built. you can look at all sides, trigger mechanisms and events. It helps to actually see 'behind' the scenario. If your wondering why the AI acted a certain way, pull it up in the editor, you can change it and experiment without 'breaking' the game.

It's fabulous! I've played tutorial 1 with all kinds of modifications and 'what if' unit changes and ordinance options. the possibilities are endless.

Totally worth every penny!

"The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The Leader adjusts the sails." -John Maxwell

(in reply to Prov)
Post #: 14
RE: On the fence - 10/14/2013 11:47:02 PM   
scout1

Enjoyed the early Harpoon PC games ...... But grew weary of always beating (or getting beat) by the AI ....... The human element of other games always attracted me ...... Not sure this is ever an option here, but thought I might ask ?

This game begs for a 1 on 1 capability ...... wondering as to the restrictions of such or possibility of such ......

(in reply to Bedrock)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> On the fence Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI